The Canon Thread
Dec 15, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #1,951 of 2,718
I am trying out Topaz Adjust and Detail. Downloaded the trial versions and played around a bit (please don't mind the dust specks):

The first shot is with the 100L plus a stack of extension tubes (68mm worth of tubes) and the 1.4x extender on a 7D. The other shots are all 100L at 1:1 only.

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #1,952 of 2,718

Quote:
*EDIT*
Speaking of 50mm love, finally some reviews of Sony NEX-7 plus E-Mount 50mm f/1.8 lens.
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/12/10/the-sony-50-1-8-oss-e-mount-nex-lens-review-on-the-nex-7/

I am also highly intrigued by the NEX-7 and am watching it closely. The high price is somewhat disappointing, but not entirely unexpected, but I love the high res viewfinder, rangefinder-like design and the availability of third-party mounts so I can also mount all my L glass on it. Next year would be a very interesting year for compact mirrorless systems though, so I'm just going to wait patiently and see what everyone has to offer. Hopefully Canon will have interesting announcements to make, plus I am also very curious to see what Fujifilm has up their sleeves.

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #1,954 of 2,718

Quote:
any rumors of if Canon is gonna join the mirrorless market?

+1 Sad as it may be, I know my trusty EOS 10D is not going to last forever. I've been eyeing the Panasonic micro 4/3rds system cameras, but I wonder what the tradeoff will be in terms of image quality. After all, you don't get something for nothing.

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #1,955 of 2,718

Quote:

+1 Sad as it may be, I know my trusty EOS 10D is not going to last forever. I've been eyeing the Panasonic micro 4/3rds system cameras, but I wonder what the tradeoff will be in terms of image quality. After all, you don't get something for nothing.

I shoot with the 5DMKII but carrying that around was not fun.  My daily camera now it the Panny G3 (also have the GF1) with the 20mm f1.7.  Image quality, unless i'm blowing something up i'm just fine with my panny.  Love it and throwing it in my bag is much easier that the canon.  Picked up the fotodiox EF-->m4/3 adaptor and have the best of both worlds. i must say the GF1 mounted with my 70-200LII looks quite ridiculous.

Jan 9, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #1,956 of 2,718

Quote:
I shoot with the 5DMKII but carrying that around was not fun.  My daily camera now it the Panny G3 (also have the GF1) with the 20mm f1.7.  Image quality, unless i'm blowing something up i'm just fine with my panny.  Love it and throwing it in my bag is much easier that the canon.  Picked up the fotodiox EF-->m4/3 adaptor and have the best of both worlds. i must say the GF1 mounted with my 70-200LII looks quite ridiculous.

That brings me to the one issue I have with my DSLR: size and weight. What good is a nice camera if you leave it home half the time because it's too big and heavy? 
frown.gif

There appear to be some very good lenses for the Pannies at a comparable cost to their Canon counterparts. Nevertheless, I would be dropping around $1,000 on the camera and lenses I need, so I definitely won't be upgrading for a while 
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #1,959 of 2,718

Quote:
Yep it would be nice if Canon comes out with a mirrorless camera with an efs mount without making a whole new mount system like the other brands

Wouldn't THAT be nice..  It's amazing to me that Canon would allow Sony NEX and Fuji X series to be so established and entrenched as de-facto mirrorless leaders.

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #1,960 of 2,718
X-Pro 1 is nice, but I'm not too keen on the currently-approximated price. Also, no word on AF speed as well as responsiveness of the MF ring, which are two of my main beefs with the X100.

I highly doubt Canon would use the existing EF or EF-s mount for a mirrorless though, the minimum registration distance for the mount specification is too long to make a compact body, and if the body isn't compact enough the mirror box might as well stay put.

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #1,962 of 2,718
It's not a "joke," just disappointing due to non-interchangeable lens. But Canon is betting there's a bunch of potential customers who want a large sensor with a zoom lens that covers a large range (28-112mm). G1X sensor is actually larger than micro 4/3rds, and the conjecture is it's basically the same high-quality sensor as found in Canon 7D, just 20% smaller and 20% less megapixels.

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #1,963 of 2,718

Quote:
I highly doubt Canon would use the existing EF or EF-s mount for a mirrorless though, the minimum registration distance for the mount specification is too long to make a compact body, and if the body isn't compact enough the mirror box might as well stay put.

Agreed. Have you seen the new Pentax released that accepts their normal lenses? It's not much smaller than their regular DSLRs.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #1,965 of 2,718
i do see the attraction of the g1x is the sensor. at that size the no interchange kills it for me. i'd love it if it was the size of a s100. does anyone make something like the g1x with interchangeable glass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back