The Canon Thread
Mar 13, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #1,981 of 2,718

Quote:
Speaking of third-party lenses, the upcoming Tamron 24-70/2.8 Di VC USD is looking very promising. I've always liked Tamron lenses; they're optically excellent and affordable, just a bit under-built. The non-VC 17-50 has served me very well for several years on my 40D, but now that I plan on moving to the 5D3, this yet-to-be-released lens is going to be my frontrunner for an affordable alternative to the prohibitively expensive 24-70L II.

The Tammy promises better build quality and weather resistance this time around, and has that (for better or for worse) three-axis vibration compensation mechanism. I've never needed IS for anything; with the 5D3, I can even shoot at ISO 25600 no problem! I'm only worried whether or not that extra lens element will compromise IQ...

EDIT: I guess I can use the VC for HD video use... handheld shots at 70mm will definitely benefit from image stabilization.

That is the first Tamron I am seriously considering.  However, I have a feeling the pricing will not be as low as many would hope.  I also would have preferred it if they left out image stabilization at these focal lengths and lower the price instead.  

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #1,982 of 2,718
Quote:
That is the first Tamron I am seriously considering.  However, I have a feeling the pricing will not be as low as many would hope.  I also would have preferred it if they left out image stabilization at these focal lengths and lower the price instead.

Well, knowing Tamron, this lens should be under $1000... I'm going to predict: $899 MSRP

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #1,983 of 2,718

Quote:
Well, knowing Tamron, this lens should be under $1000... I'm going to predict: $899 MSRP

I doubt that price, but if Tamron can do it for $899, as the first 24-70 with IS with (hopefully) good optics, they can seriously hurt Canon 24-70 mkII sales, which hopefully brings down the street price of Canon :)

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #1,984 of 2,718
Quote:
I doubt that price, but if Tamron can do it for $899, as the first 24-70 with IS with (hopefully) good optics, they can seriously hurt Canon 24-70 mkII sales, which hopefully brings down the street price of Canon :)

Well, Tamron is usually priced slightly below Sigma, and Sigma's 24-70 HSM has an MSRP of $899. Tamron's should hover around that price, as well. It'd be awesome if that crazy $2300 tag goes down. Honestly, though, I value L primes more than their zooms --- I've been eyeing the 35L & 135L for quite some time; too bad I keep spending money on audio-related stuff!
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #1,985 of 2,718

Quote:
Well, Tamron is usually priced slightly below Sigma, and Sigma's 24-70 HSM has an MSRP of $899. Tamron's should hover around that price, as well. It'd be awesome if that crazy $2300 tag goes down. Honestly, though, I value L primes more than their zooms --- I've been eyeing the 35L & 135L for quite some time; too bad I keep spending money on audio-related stuff!
biggrin.gif

$2300 is definitely nuts.  Greedy basterrds.  I love my 35L and 135L, but if I'm going to a desert island (presumably photographing coconuts), 85L II is the one.  In fact, 85L II becomes such a lofty yardstick, it's difficult to buy other lenses afterwards..

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #1,987 of 2,718
I'm really liking what I'm reading about the AF system. It's using the same AF module as the high end 1DX, but minus the 1DX's higher end metering sensor that aids the AF system in subject recognition.

I'm not too concerned about IQ -- from what I've read and seen, it's already better than the 5D2 and that's good enough for me.

If I have any complaints, it's the change to a fixed focusing screen design of the 7D. I've used the Ef-s on the 40D, and Eg-s on the 5D2... so the focusing screen is a step backwards for me. And it's not like the advanced visual overlay of the 7D explicitly requires a non-removable design -- there are 3rd party screens for the 7D (e.g. KatzEye Optics) that do not impede the 7D's viewfinder information, so I don't see why Canon chose to make the screen non-removable.

Anyway, it's something I'll have to test out at the store (whenever stock arrives) and see if I can live with it or not....

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #1,990 of 2,718

Quote:
I was wrong... :frowning2:
http://fstoppers.com/tamron-announces-availability-of-24-70mm-f2-8-di-vc-lens

$1299 isn't so bad, at $1000 less than Canons 24-70 II.  On the other hand, Canon 24-70 MkI is selling new for $1399 on Amazon right now, so the Tamron had better at least outperform the Canon MkI.  

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #1,992 of 2,718
After doing some lens microadusting on 5D III, I thought I would do some test shots with Canon's cheapest to most expensive lenses to see if "it's worth it" in real life use. Spot AF with all lenses stopped down 1/3 stop from max aperture.

Canon 35mm f/2

Canon 35mm f/1.4L

Canon 50mm f/1.4

Canon 85mm f/1.8

Canon 85mm f/1.2L

Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 MkII to mix things up

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #1,993 of 2,718
I am constantly surprised at how well the ol' 35/2 is able to stand toe-to-toe with its more expensive cousin. Besides the lack of f/1.4 and the slightly nervous bokeh (depending on background), a good copy can be as sharp as the L, which is one reason keeping me from upgrading mine.

But in terms of bokeh, the 85L is still king.

50/1.4 looks like the weakest of the bunch, even at websize resolutions I can see the overall softness and lack of microcontrast compared to the other lenses. Even the 35/2.

Time to consider a 50L perhaps? :wink:

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #1,994 of 2,718
Quote:
I am constantly surprised at how well the ol' 35/2 is able to stand toe-to-toe with its more expensive cousin. Besides the lack of f/1.4 and the slightly nervous bokeh (depending on background), a good copy can be as sharp as the L, which is one reason keeping me from upgrading mine.

I love the 35 f/2.  35mm on a full frame camera is, by far, my favorite focal length and, in fact, I own both the f/2 and the f/1.4.  I had the f/2 first but didn't sell it when I upgraded.  Even owning both of the lenses, I still use the f/2 a lot.  It is just so small and convenient.  If it had a USM focusing, it would be the perfect lens for me.  There's just something so satisfying about shooting with a prime lens!

Actually, even more, if Canon were to introduce a 35mm f/2.8 IS to match the upcoming 24mm and 28mm lenses, I might sell both lenses, put some cash in my pocket, and get one of those!

Taken with the 35mm f/2 on my 5DII @ ISO 1600:

I'm very tempted by the 5DIII, though.  Ambient light photography is my "thing" and I'd love to be able to shoot at ISO6400 with similar results to what I am getting now at 1600.  Maybe after my wallet recovers from my tax bill!

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #1,995 of 2,718

Quote:

Actually, even more, if Canon were to introduce a 35mm f/2.8 IS to match the upcoming 24mm and 28mm lenses, I might sell both lenses, put some cash in my pocket, and get one of those!

35 f/2.8 IS is a terrible idea!  Firstly, you really don't need IS at 35mm, and going by Canon pricing for their new IS primes, it will be priced near $900, which would be crazy.  And it will only be a slow f/2.8 prime.  

What Canon really needs to do, in order to gain my confidence again, is to introduce 50 mm f/1.4 MkII with real USM, circular blades for better bokeh, tweaked optics for better contrast, and NOT add IS and jack up the price like they did with 24 and 28 mm f/2.8 IS.  

That, and a 85mm f/`1.4 like Nikon, Sigma, Samyang without the huge size, price, focus-by-wire, and slow AF of 85 f/1.2L II.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back