The Canon Thread
Jan 8, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #1,892 of 2,718

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
It's a camera. It's not gonna get old and obsolete just because a newer model succeeds it.

i know nothing about this.  i'm only getting this as a present for my girlfriend.  one more thing, do i need to get a battery grip? 

Well... it depends. One one hand, the grip makes the camera bigger and bulkier. On the other hand, you get longer battery life (if both battery compartments are used), provides an additional set of buttons for portrait mode, and balances the weight of the camera when used with bigger/heavier lenses and flashes. And some people get the grip so that they can look like a pro.

got my girl 7d, didn't get the battery grip and she seems to like it.  thanks. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #1,894 of 2,718
Been a long time bro! How you been?

Yea, I've thought about it, but I don't use my camera enough to justify it. I've recently been trying and if that works out, I might just splurge a few months down the line. I'd have to prove to myself that I'm willing to lug the weight around and actually put it to use!

Quote:
100L :wink:

Quote:
I've been really wanting a macro to play with. =[

Debating Canon 60mm or 100mm macro.

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #1,895 of 2,718

Personally I'd pick the 7D over 60D. Better focusing, better body build/construction.

I got a chance to use my dad's 7D for several days with some of his prime lenses. It definitely has a lot of features I don't have on my 20d, so a move up will still require a lot of learning.. I was hoping they would come out with something of similar quality with the flip LCD before I jumped in, though. I just think it would be a great feature for macros.

That being said, unless I read rumors about something like that coming out soon, I will probably end up with a 7D. I decided against the 60d after a buddy bought it and complained about the picture quality.

As for primes, I think I prefer zooms. His 17-55mm was not much of a trade off in picture quality, but it gave me more flexibility when I was out and about. It will probably be my next lens.

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #1,896 of 2,718
Hm, don't recall if I ever put my final setup in this thread, I remember I was poking aroudn here when I was shopping around, but my bag is as follows.

Canon 500D(Gripped)
Kit lens (meh)
50mm f1.8
430 EX II
Caselogic SLR/Laptop backpack

If you couldn't guess my next purchase is going to be a new lens.

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #1,897 of 2,718
Canon 85mm F/1.2L II just showed up today :)

img8250d.jpg

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #1,898 of 2,718
Indeed it has :) I've been out of the head-fi scene and into the photography scene :p

Quote:
Been a long time bro! How you been?

Yea, I've thought about it, but I don't use my camera enough to justify it. I've recently been trying and if that works out, I might just splurge a few months down the line. I'd have to prove to myself that I'm willing to lug the weight around and actually put it to use!

Quote:
100L :wink:

Quote:
I've been really wanting a macro to play with. =[

Debating Canon 60mm or 100mm macro.

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #1,899 of 2,718

laxx said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a Rebel XT with kit lense and BG-E3 battery grip. I'm currently shopping for an everyday lense (I think you guys convinced me on the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 in another thread, especially at <$300 used). I'll also be getting a 70-200 in some variant and I should know which one by Thursday or Friday depending on price (waiting on discount list). And by mid July, I should have a monopod and either a 430EX or 580EX flash.

But more importantly, I need to practice taking shots.

I spent a weekend with the 17-40L and it's a ton faster than the kit lense. =T It was a very fun lense to shoot with, though I would have prefered a bit more zoom (taking pictures during a Memorial Day BBQ with about 50 friends). But hey, can't complain when you get to try gear out for free.

It's very detailed, It's helpful to me, Thanks for your effort!

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #1,900 of 2,718
Jan 27, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #1,903 of 2,718

Quote:

I got a chance to use my dad's 7D for several days with some of his prime lenses. It definitely has a lot of features I don't have on my 20d, so a move up will still require a lot of learning.. I was hoping they would come out with something of similar quality with the flip LCD before I jumped in, though. I just think it would be a great feature for macros.That being said, unless I read rumors about something like that coming out soon, I will probably end up with a 7D. I decided against the 60d after a buddy bought it and complained about the picture quality.As for primes, I think I prefer zooms. His 17-55mm was not much of a trade off in picture quality, but it gave me more flexibility when I was out and about. It will probably be my next lens.

60D and 7D use the same sensor. If your friend has issues with image quality, I'd say it's most likely an user issue, not the camera. 7D is a great camera, but the 60D's articulated LCD make it an excellent camera for macro and video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back