The Canon Thread
Aug 13, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #1,066 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ian, thanks I read a lot of what you post here and appreciate that you would take the time to respond. I am concerned about overlap. the 70-200 f4 IS is looking attractive to me at the moment. I'm not sure what I'm going to buy when, but I would like to know if there is a Canon wide-angle type lens that you would recommend.

No prob. Overlap is ok as some lenses don't perform well at their extremes.

If you're looking for wide angle and Canon only, the 10-22 is great. I don't use these lenses and other people had great luck with Sigma and Tokina's in this range so those might be other cheaper alternatives.

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #1,067 of 2,718
Quote:

I lurk around here constantly. Trying to learn. I have a Canon Rebel XT with the EFS 17-85 mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (whatever that means...) I bought it brand new two years ago. It seems to take a pretty good picture. I have no real technical knowledge about photography. However, I enjoy reading what you guys write about Canon cameras and lenses, third-party lenses etc. I don't really understand 95% of your discussion, but I pick up some information here and there. If I were going to purchase another lens or two what Canon lenses, similar to the one that I have in terms of quality and features, would allow me to take hand-held, candid street-type pictures from a greater distance than my current lens allows. What would be the best purchase? Would there be any other basic lenses that I should have as my interest and ability in photography increases?

What your talking about is focal length. If you want to take pictures from a greater distance than your current 17-85mm, then you'll need a longer focal length (85 or above). You may want to take a look at the Canon 70-200mm F/4 L lens for about 600$. Great price.

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #1,068 of 2,718
Quote:

Ian, thanks I read a lot of what you post here and appreciate that you would take the time to respond. I am concerned about overlap. the 70-200 f4 IS is looking attractive to me at the moment. I'm not sure what I'm going to buy when, but I would like to know if there is a Canon wide-angle type lens that you would recommend.

Canon 17-40mm L F/4. Yet another great lens for a great price.

The Canon 17-40L F/4 and 70-200L F/4 would be a nice kit.

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #1,069 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No prob. Overlap is ok as some lenses don't perform well at their extremes.

If you're looking for wide angle and Canon only, the 10-22 is great. I don't use these lenses and other people had great luck with Sigma and Tokina's in this range so those might be other cheaper alternatives.

Ok, thanks for the additional advice. I really appreciate it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What your talking about is focal length. If you want to take pictures from a greater distance than your current 17-85mm, then you'll need a longer focal length (85 or above). You may want to take a look at the Canon 70-200mm F/4 L lens for about 600$. Great price.

Quote:

Canon 17-40mm L F/4. Yet another great lens for a great price.

The Canon 17-40L F/4 and 70-200L F/4 would be a nice kit.

Thank you as well T7. I'm taking notes and making a list. I've got to get some basic educational literature. Any really good websites, magazines, or books on the basics that you guys would recommend in addition to the link supplied by RP above?

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #1,070 of 2,718
Quote:

Any really good websites, magazines, or books on the basics that you guys would recommend in addition to the link supplied by RP above?

For Canon specific POTN:
Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Tons of info and the same format as here.

Note: All the 70-200's are highly conspicuous, little white beasts; they're heavy. If I were doing personal street photography, I'd rather the 70-300 IS, though I really adore the 70-200 f/4. But weigh and conspicuousness are finally your call.

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #1,071 of 2,718
Quote:

Thank you as well T7. I'm taking notes and making a list. I've got to get some basic educational literature. Any really good websites, magazines, or books on the basics that you guys would recommend in addition to the link supplied by RP above?

I basically learned from personal experience. My camera came with a short 'intro to photography' from nikon, and that was enough to teach me things like Depth Of Field, shutter speed, focal lengths, etc.

Once you learn what a few things are on the camera, you can go out and start experimenting for free. If you photograph a lot, expect to take about a year to get good, more or less.

I think to start taking full control of your camera, you need to first know what these are:
Depth of Field
aperture
shutter speed
ISO
Field of View
White Balance
Dynamic Range (camera limitation)
F-Stop

Once you find out what each is, and how they intermix, you can start experimenting. I'm not too sure if there are books that are written on basic photography techniques. Most books I've seen are more specific for special purpose techniques, or specific categories of photography (landscape, people, etc). I wouldn't touch the ansel adams books until you've got a fair amount of experience behind you.

There are a few really helpful articles on the internet that are worth a read. I've found a lot of helpful ones on ken rockwell's site. I'm sure a google search on what ever you wanted to learn about will pull up some nice websites.

When you get good, you'll be able to go out, judge what the lighting conditions are, make a few changes to the camera (ISO, WB, aperture), and just start taking pictures.

As you are starting out, you'll take pictures, look at them on the computer and say "I wish this looked different". That's when the thinking begins: "How could I have made this picture look better?", "Is there different equipment that I need?", "Was the lighting conditions less than ideal?", "Were my settings off?", "Could I frame it better?", etc etc.

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #1,072 of 2,718
Quote:

What would be the best purchase? Would there be any other basic lenses that I should have as my interest and ability in photography increases?

Everyone who owns a Canon should at one time have the 50mm f/1.8. It's the perfect introductory prime. It's plastic, doesn't focus that well, but makes great photos. It's $89 from Amazon. Keep it for a while, play with its large aperture and bokeh, decide if you like that focal length, and then you can dump it off on POTN for 90% of what you bought if for. That's if you decide you want a better prime... and you will.
tongue.gif

It's an ideal "learner" lens.

Edit: I should have said large aperture over wide to avoid confusion with focal length.

Aug 13, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #1,073 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by nineohtoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally shoot Canon at the moment because it was a cheaper alternative for me. I simply couldn't find a cheap D50 to replace my broken one. I only use my sigma 30mm f1.4, so I figured sell my Nikon mount to get a Canon one. However, I still haven't sold my nikon mount 30mm, or my SB-600. If the D90 can give some of the high ISO quality of the D300(I'll settle for less FPS and AF points/tracking), I'll sell my 350D setup and go back with the D90. Yeah canon's 40D successor will be out, but I'm sure it won't be in my budget. Here's some deciding factors that I'd go over:

Ergonomics: Simply opinion, but I like how Nikon's hold in my hand compared to Canon, especially at consumer levels. They fit my hands better. A Canon with a grip helps tremendously though, and is probably why I've been able to stand this past month with one. To be fair, my aunt's 5D fits like a glove, despite me not feeling at home with the controls. I also disliked taking my trigger finger off the shutter to adjust shutter speed/aperture with the rebels. I preferred using my thumb, that way I can still refocus(say following someone on stage) while adjusting settings.

Bodies/sensors?: I think both groups can agree that Canon bodies are noticibley sharper, where as Nikon's handle noise better. A lot of people think Nikon's noise reduction hurts its overall sharpness, but its nothing some PP can fix. Look at Todd Owyoung's ISO 6400 images(ishootshows.com). Very clean and still sharp. I also like the dynamic range in Nikons over Canon. Doesn't matter too much if you shoot RAW though.

Lenses: Hands down to Canon. Options, options options. And cheaper most of the time. Nikon really lacks in primes though. I read somewhere that quoted Nikon saying something along the lines of: only PJ's use primes, and that market is small. Though I don't know how much truth that holds, because I would think a PJ would want the flexibility of a zoom. Plus unless you're shooting with a D300 or better, 2.8 won't be fast enough at times. Canon has a plethora of lenses for that. Nikon may also never have a f1.2 autofocus lens because of how small the f mount is.

Flash:I think Nikon's CLS is far better than what Canon has. However wireless triggers negate that. One can use older and cheaper flashes with pocket wizards or cactus triggers and achieve the same, if not better results(but this extends to Samsung/Pentax and Sony/Minolta).

I'd heavily consider the type of shooting you'll be doing and your budget before buying either system. I think both are good, but I think the "you" part of your photography is gonna be more important than which system you buy into. A lot of my input is from someone who can only afford a consumer body and some decent glass. If you're in my boat, I personally would prioritize learning photoshop, since you probably already know how to use a camera manually well enough. I mean no offense to some people out there, but I've been blown away by people using cheap bodies and or third party lenses, and disappointed with results I've seen from those with much more expensive pro equipment.

If I had to start from scratch with little money and buying used? I'd get which ever is cheaper. The only deal breaker to me really is the fact that Canon has more lens selection, but since I can't even afford most of that(a bag of L's are gonna be worth more than my car!), i'm gonna shoot third party. Everything else i've mentioned is really negligible at my budget.

If I had a lot of money to buy new? I'd get a D700+24-70mm f2.8 and call it a day. ISO6400 @ f2.8 on full frame would probably be what I get on ISO 800 @ f1.4 on crop sensors.

If it helps any, the only shooting I take seriously is concert photography. I love live rock music, and it's a pleasure to shoot it. I love the challenge of capturing fast movement, in low lights, with people to fight with for position and safety. In my case, I just need a fast wide or normal prime(hence my 30mm 1.4), and a body that has decent high ISO. Luckily I can also use that as a walk around and indoor lens. So I can really get by with just one lens. You can see how either system fits the bill for me. Your needs might be different and not as simple. Luckily for me I find most other types of photography boring. Again, I mean no offense to anyone but I'm weird in that I like situations where there are variables outside of my control affecting my outcome(like surfing). However, I do want to get into some strobist fashion photography
biggrin.gif

A lot of great points here, but I'd disagree that Nikon's handle noise better than Canon's. Except in the D300, D700, and D3 (perhaps) I think Canon's CMOS sensors keep more detail and less noise than Nikon's CCD based cameras - these include the D40 through the D200. As for sharpness, you could be right; but I think lens selection will really make the difference here.

Speaking of lenses, I'd say that Nikon and Canon have equally competent selections. To be fair, Canon has some quality L lenses that you just can't find in Nikon's lineup (I'm looking at you 17-40 f/4L and 70-200 f/4L) but all in all, I'd be happy with either brand.

Aug 13, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #1,074 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by nineohtoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally shoot Canon at the moment because it was a cheaper alternative for me. I simply couldn't find a cheap D50 to replace my broken one. I only use my sigma 30mm f1.4, so I figured sell my Nikon mount to get a Canon one. However, I still haven't sold my nikon mount 30mm, or my SB-600. If the D90 can give some of the high ISO quality of the D300(I'll settle for less FPS and AF points/tracking), I'll sell my 350D setup and go back with the D90. Yeah canon's 40D successor will be out, but I'm sure it won't be in my budget. Here's some deciding factors that I'd go over:

Ergonomics: Simply opinion, but I like how Nikon's hold in my hand compared to Canon, especially at consumer levels. They fit my hands better. A Canon with a grip helps tremendously though, and is probably why I've been able to stand this past month with one. To be fair, my aunt's 5D fits like a glove, despite me not feeling at home with the controls. I also disliked taking my trigger finger off the shutter to adjust shutter speed/aperture with the rebels. I preferred using my thumb, that way I can still refocus(say following someone on stage) while adjusting settings.

Bodies/sensors?: I think both groups can agree that Canon bodies are noticibley sharper, where as Nikon's handle noise better. A lot of people think Nikon's noise reduction hurts its overall sharpness, but its nothing some PP can fix. Look at Todd Owyoung's ISO 6400 images(ishootshows.com). Very clean and still sharp. I also like the dynamic range in Nikons over Canon. Doesn't matter too much if you shoot RAW though.

Lenses: Hands down to Canon. Options, options options. And cheaper most of the time. Nikon really lacks in primes though. I read somewhere that quoted Nikon saying something along the lines of: only PJ's use primes, and that market is small. Though I don't know how much truth that holds, because I would think a PJ would want the flexibility of a zoom. Plus unless you're shooting with a D300 or better, 2.8 won't be fast enough at times. Canon has a plethora of lenses for that. Nikon may also never have a f1.2 autofocus lens because of how small the f mount is.

Flash:I think Nikon's CLS is far better than what Canon has. However wireless triggers negate that. One can use older and cheaper flashes with pocket wizards or cactus triggers and achieve the same, if not better results(but this extends to Samsung/Pentax and Sony/Minolta).

I'd heavily consider the type of shooting you'll be doing and your budget before buying either system. I think both are good, but I think the "you" part of your photography is gonna be more important than which system you buy into. A lot of my input is from someone who can only afford a consumer body and some decent glass. If you're in my boat, I personally would prioritize learning photoshop, since you probably already know how to use a camera manually well enough. I mean no offense to some people out there, but I've been blown away by people using cheap bodies and or third party lenses, and disappointed with results I've seen from those with much more expensive pro equipment.

If I had to start from scratch with little money and buying used? I'd get which ever is cheaper. The only deal breaker to me really is the fact that Canon has more lens selection, but since I can't even afford most of that(a bag of L's are gonna be worth more than my car!), i'm gonna shoot third party. Everything else i've mentioned is really negligible at my budget.

If I had a lot of money to buy new? I'd get a D700+24-70mm f2.8 and call it a day. ISO6400 @ f2.8 on full frame would probably be what I get on ISO 800 @ f1.4 on crop sensors.

If it helps any, the only shooting I take seriously is concert photography. I love live rock music, and it's a pleasure to shoot it. I love the challenge of capturing fast movement, in low lights, with people to fight with for position and safety. In my case, I just need a fast wide or normal prime(hence my 30mm 1.4), and a body that has decent high ISO. Luckily I can also use that as a walk around and indoor lens. So I can really get by with just one lens. You can see how either system fits the bill for me. Your needs might be different and not as simple. Luckily for me I find most other types of photography boring. Again, I mean no offense to anyone but I'm weird in that I like situations where there are variables outside of my control affecting my outcome(like surfing). However, I do want to get into some strobist fashion photography
biggrin.gif

What a great response. Thanks!

I'm already pretty comfortable in Photoshop. I'm sure there are some skills I'll need to develop specific to using the RAW images, but I have used it to tweak my digital pics from the P&S for awhile.

Quote:

Nineohtoo has a lot of very good info.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can also see a difference in the colors produced from a Nikon and Canon on the same white balance setting. It's subtle, but that is a consideration too. I'm used to the Nikon colors, and when I see some similar pictures from a Canon camera they look ever so slightly different (for better or for worse, you decide).

On another note, lets be serious. Even if you start off with a budget lens and a budget camera I think you'll find yourself wanting to upgrade within the first year or so (new lenses to try!). So even though at the moment you won't be getting into some of the more expensive stuff, it's good to keep that in the back of your mind when comparing the brands. See which has a nice upgrade path for you.

So for haha's, pretend that someday you want to use a 24-70mm lens. Go and compared the Nikon 24-70mm F/2.8 and the Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L. See which seems built better, which is smaller, lighter, more compact. Etc etc.
That should be one factor to consider.

Like I said in the other thread, just try them out at your local Ritz and hold each for 30 minutes and use it to shoot around the store. Compare Auto Focus speed, viewfinders, LCD's, menus, etc etc. See how they feel. Holding what feels like a brick to you for an hour can be a real chore, and that is why having a body that fits your hands is a really nice thing. Weight should also be a consideration.

Keep us posted on what you find out after you try them at Ritz.

And, as before, there will be times when you wish you had purchased the other kit. You just need to buy the brand that will help reduce this feeling as much as possible. ^_^

My plan is to buy a consumer level body for now, but to invest in some high quality lenses over the next couple of years. When I have the lenses I need for 90% of my photography, I'll upgrade the body. I would really like a full frame sensor, but they are just too expensive right now. I'm leaning towards the Rebel 450d(XSi) because it comes with a better then average kit lens. In a few years, I suspect the full frame sensors will have dropped in price.

My theory is that lens technology doesn't change as quickly as the DSLR bodies, so any investment in lenses now should serve me well for many years. The bodies however, digital especially, are advancing rapidly. In a couple more years I expect the sensors to be twice as good as those available today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice write up into your own personal view and choices for your own uses.

I think Nikon has a good amount of primes.

Nikon | Imaging Products | Wideangle
Nikon | Imaging Products | Normal
Nikon | Imaging Products | Telephoto

Is this really lacking?

Wireless triggers make every flash used with them work in manual and make owning such expensive flashes irrelevent since you never use the automatic features. That's good if you have time and assistants. While I use the manual method myself, I can see how easy it is with CLS like by setting ratios and stuff.

I don't know too much about flashes yet. I tend to take nature photos. When I use the flash, they always look washed out and crappy, so I've learned to just avoid the flash whenever I can :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of great points here, but I'd disagree that Nikon's handle noise better than Canon's. Except in the D300, D700, and D3 (perhaps) I think Canon's CMOS sensors keep more detail and less noise than Nikon's CCD based cameras - these include the D40 through the D200. As for sharpness, you could be right; but I think lens selection will really make the difference here.

Speaking of lenses, I'd say that Nikon and Canon have equally competent selections. To be fair, Canon has some quality L lenses that you just can't find in Nikon's lineup (I'm looking at you 17-40 f/4L and 70-200 f/4L) but all in all, I'd be happy with either brand.

That's what I thought too. Canon has the better reputation regarding low noise at higher ISOs. I do take pictures in low light, so that is something I am considering in my decision.

I'm going to go to the mall this weekend and play with some cameras. I got to take out my daughter in law's 350D yesterday, and I had a great time. I haven't had a chance to even look at the pictures yet, but it was nice to have some of the control I remember from my film days yet be able to take 100s of pictures without worrying about the cost of developing them all :p Especially since they were mostly for learning. I went for about a 90 minute hike and I think I took around 100 pictures!
biggrin.gif

It did feel a little smallish in my hand. From what I've heard, Nikons fit larger hands better, so I'm curious how one will feel. On the other hand, I love to go backpacking so size and weight are things I have to keep in mind. That's one area that Canon beats Nikon. The equivalent Canons are usually lighter then the Nikons. I'm going to decide first based on functionality, but all things being equal, I would choose the lighter camera.

I'll come back and let everyone know what I decide
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again for all the input.

Aug 13, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #1,075 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It did feel a little smallish in my hand. From what I've heard, Nikons fit larger hands better, so I'm curious how one will feel. On the other hand, I love to go backpacking so size and weight are things I have to keep in mind. That's one area that Canon beats Nikon. The equivalent Canons are usually lighter then the Nikons. I'm going to decide first based on functionality, but all things being equal, I would choose the lighter camera.

I'll come back and let everyone know what I decide
smily_headphones1.gif

Just for haha's you may want to give the Nikon D80 and their Nikkor 18-200VR a shot and see what you think. Great camera, and wonderful entry level 'do everything' lens. Fairly small and light weight, you get VR for low light pictures, a huge range (18-200), a large viewfinder (VERY important, like the old film cameras your used to), good AF, comfortable, etc etc.
Then try the canon body and see if it feels the same.
^_^

Aug 14, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #1,076 of 2,718
Quote:

Just for haha's you may want to give the Nikon D80 and their Nikkor 18-200VR a shot and see what you think. Great camera, and wonderful entry level 'do everything' lens. Fairly small and light weight, you get VR for low light pictures, a huge range (18-200), a large viewfinder (VERY important, like the old film cameras your used to), good AF, comfortable, etc etc.
Then try the canon body and see if it feels the same.
^_^

Indeed. Skip the D40-D60 range, because the lack of built-in AF motors make them unable to use anything other than AF-S lenses if you want autofocus, which is a crying shame because there are quite a lot of good Nikon glass out there.

The 450D is much better with a battery grip, I find, and you can detach it for those "Need-lightness" moments when traveling. The battery life is simply ridiculous though - I've not charged the pair of batteries in that camera for nearly a month and it hasn't moved from the "full" indicator after roughly 700+ pictures. Plus, the ability to use all of the EF/EF-S lenses that are available is great.

On a side note, I have been excitedly waiting for my cousin to give me his Tokina 828 AT-X Pro AF 80-200 f2.8 zoom lens that he does not use anymore. I went on a trip back to Jakarta to clear up some other matters, and was going to pick up the lens at his house, but he forgot it at his office and I had no chance to go back for a second visit to his house before I had to leave town.
frown.gif

Argh!

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #1,077 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
f.28
frown.gif

I would not be happy with a f28 lens either. Needs more speed.

Have you ever used a Tokina Pro lens??

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #1,078 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not be happy with a f28 lens either. Needs more speed.

Have you ever used a Tokina Pro lens??

Note that it said f.28 (f/.28, in other words) which would make it have enough speed to make the Roadrunner envious.
biggrin.gif

No, but since I'm getting it for free, I'm not complaining? Why, is there something I ought to look out for?

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #1,079 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note that it said f.28 (f/.28, in other words) which would make it have enough speed to make the Roadrunner envious.
biggrin.gif

No, but since I'm getting it for free, I'm not complaining? Why, is there something I ought to look out for?

Thinking it is an older series. Nothing really to look out for. Just love the build quality of the Toke Pro glass.

It actually looks to be a decent performer. 7.8 at FMs.

Aug 14, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #1,080 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thinking it is an older series. Nothing really to look out for. Just love the build quality of the Toke Pro glass.

It actually looks to be a decent performer. 7.8 at FMs.

Okey-dokey.
biggrin.gif
I think it is fairly old, mid-late 90's or so, for this particular sample.

It should be ok, but I've heard about some problems with flaring on digital systems. We'll see what the actual problem is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back