The Canon Thread
Jan 10, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #481 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I"ve never tried any of those Zeiss or Leica lenses but one things for sure, I could have a lot more toys and fun for their big prices.

Try the Tamron 28-75 also if you're interested in that range. It's f/2.8, it's cheap and will allow you to get flash and 10-22 NOW.
biggrin.gif

Well, some of them are cheap and you get a lot better lens compared to what Canon offers, for less money. But you do offer the auto focus and automatic stop down, so you have to be interested in shooting manually.

Oh yeah, I forgot to write that. I have the Tamron 28-75mm, and it's a great lens. Another reason I would much rather get the 24-105L over the 24-70L, I already have a fast lens with pretty much the same coverage...
smily_headphones1.gif

10-22 and the tammy is not a bad setup, for sure... have you seen the pigeon shot? Eric Cotter [the OcularStasis FotoBlog]:

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #482 of 2,718
So are the Zeisses on Canon body manual focusing OR that and manual metering also? I don't mind manual focusing. But on something less than 5D or 1D the viewfinder just isn't that great.

Yeah I used to have the Tamron 28-75 before the 24-105. Since they overlapped, I got rid of the 28-75. I don't think there's much difference between 2.8 and 4 since they're both not that great with low light for my uses. Primes are better for low light.

That's a pretty cool pigeon shot.

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #483 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are the Zeisses on Canon body manual focusing OR that and manual metering also? I don't mind manual focusing. But on something less than 5D or 1D the viewfinder just isn't that great.

Yeah I used to have the Tamron 28-75 before the 24-105. Since they overlapped, I got rid of the 28-75. I don't think there's much difference between 2.8 and 4 since they're both not that great with low light for my uses. Primes are better for low light.

They are manual everything really... so yeah, it's a bit tricky to use them on crop cameras, but things can be improved by getting a split image focus screen and/or a lens adapter with focus confirmation.
See:
Home
Canon DSLRs - Katz Eye Optics
16-9: Lens Test Archive and Reviews

16-9: Lens Test Archive and Reviews

Primes are better for everything except convenience!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #486 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope =p My next upgrade will either be a FF sensor or 1 series
smily_headphones1.gif

x2

I figure if I'm going to upgrade, it's going to be a Big upgrade.

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #488 of 2,718
Just got my Canon 20D , having a great time snappin pics =)

Now, new lens or flash for my first addition =)

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #489 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my Canon 20D , having a great time snappin pics =)

Now, new lens or flash for my first addition =)

Make sure to post some pics in the Show your pictures thread, I'd be interested to see them!

In other news, I just went to the local camera shop and held a 5D in my hand. Wow, it's big! From the pics I thought it was going to be much smaller. 1500$ for a used one.... :sigh:

I seriously think a canon FF will be my next upgrade path (plus 2-3 L lenses), unless nikon can put out a FF that can compete. Guy at the store said Canon doesn't usually release products in the spring/summer, so the 5D successor may come out around fall/winter. Yikes.
The quicker focusing of the canon's is really a nice feature. BANG, it's focused, Bang, focused again. ^_^

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #490 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure to post some pics in the Show your pictures thread, I'd be interested to see them!

In other news, I just went to the local camera shop and held a 5D in my hand. Wow, it's big! From the pics I thought it was going to be much smaller. 1500$ for a used one.... :sigh:

I seriously think a canon FF will be my next upgrade path (plus 2-3 L lenses), unless nikon can put out a FF that can compete. Guy at the store said Canon doesn't release products in the spring/summer, so the 5D successor may come out around fall/winter.
The quicker focusing of the canon's is really a nice feature. BANG, it's focused, Bang, focused again. ^_^

Will do, reading about the functions before i get some serious shots in. However, i did take it to work with me last night and took some shots of the people there, just to test it out. Ill go through one and post.

The 5d is a tad bigger then the 20-30-40D, however the feel and the access (knobs and dials) are pretty much the same. It feels very solid in your hand, kinda like a nice protective metal. If you have a big hand you will LOVE the 10/20/30/40D, the 350D/400D were waaaaay to small for my hand.

My 20D focus works extremely quickly....i played with a 350D and 400D and they were not even half as fast as the 20D to focus. I believe the Rebel series was the beginner camera to get you into SLR. The 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D where the photographer/novice photographer models, and the 1d Mark ?? were the professional model. Their functions and form is shown when you hold the camera in your hand.

I bought my 20D 2nd hand of course...was a great deal and i had to take it. However, i was trying really hard to decide between the Nikon D70 and the 20D. I like Canon, always used Canon cameras...however, since i had no lenses, i wanted to do alot of research as to which would fit my shooting style. The Canon has MUCH MUCH better low light performance....ability to shoot in 3200 ISO and still keep a good picture is tough. Canon ISO ranges from 100-3200, the Nikon is 200-1600.

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #491 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Where is the show pic thread? i did a search for it, but found like 10 pages of stuff eheh

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #493 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dom ... click here ...

Thanks Gene =)

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #494 of 2,718
Yea, up until now I've only ever taken photos for pleasure. I may start up a little business and take pictures of people. When that happens I'm going to go out and get some serious gear. At the moment I dont' really have any pro zoom lenses with nikon, so it'll be a tough choice between FF nikon or FF canon.
Should be interesting to see what I end up doing.

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #495 of 2,718
That's the inherent benefit of Canon DSLRs, since they all use CMOS sensors, where most low-mid end Nikons use CCD sensors (which suck at low light).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back