The Canon Thread
Oct 12, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #1,756 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't help with your filter issue, but I'd probably be inclined to get the Nikon 14-24/2.8 with an adapter. Too bad those 16-9.net adapters are so stupidly expensive now.

I had actually given that some thought. I'd like the zoom flexibility and most folks seem to think the Nikon is the better lens.

Another thought is to save a bundle and get the Canon fisheye 15 f/2.8 (for $699 at B&H) and another prime. I mean, I really don't like the idea of a "fishy" lens, but saving $1,500 to spend on other toys is certainly appealing.

The 15 fishy gives a 180 degree field of view, as compared to 146 degrees with the 14, and the sharpness is pretty close. But every single snap with a fishy is forever "branded" as such, so it kind of eliminates itself as a "serious" lens and thus sits in the bag 99% of the time until you want to do some oddball shots at a wedding or of your dog, etc.

As for the additional prime, it would be either the 135 f/2L or 85 f/1.2L. I've got a 50 f/1.2L and use it more than either of my zooms (24-105 f/4L IS USM and 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM) but I do like the 24-105 a lot because of the IS. So I pretty much use the 50 indoors and the 24-105 outdoors when I'd like to have the zoom flexibility and light is not an issue.

The 70-200 is way too bulky, heavy, and attention drawing. Not the kind of thing you want to lug around all day, especially if it will eventually come off of the camera when it's time for another lens. Thus, I'd be more likely to use the 135, given my current bag, plus it's way cheaper ($1,069 for the 135 versus $2k for the 85) and the IQ seems quite comparable, not to mention that the 135 is quicker focusing and not likely to cause any confusion on my part as to when to use it versus my 50.

If I pick up a 135, I could leave the 70-200 mounted on my 40D, perhaps even with a 1.4 or 2.0 extender. That way, on a nature walk if I wanted an extreme close up, I could take advantage of the crop factor and not worry so much about sharpness (big drop off with the 2.0 but not so much with the 1.4). In any case, there would be some flexibility there and having that lens mounted and available would mean that is would get much more use than it does now.

The 5D II would then be used for the 24-105, 50, 135, and occasionally the 15. Unless I go completely nuts and get the 135 and 14, which is definitely a possibility.

I might try the 15 fishy and see if I have fun with it. I can always sell it without much of a loss and go for the 14 (or the Nikon 14-24 and adapter) if need be. Decisions...

Oct 12, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #1,757 of 2,718
There is a mint one in fredmiranda for $1900. I agree with you though. Unless you really need tha rectilinear 14mm I would get the new 16-35mm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still drooling over the 14 F2.8L II but the dang price went up! I guess it was part of the increase that Canon announced several months ago, which were to average about 8% as I recall. Went up from $2,020 to $2,199 at B&H, which is closer to 10%, but hey, if you want it you've gotta pay for it.

I'm back in Cayman for the fall and winter and want to do some beach stuff, both from land and from sea. My biggest concern about the 14 (besides the price) is the fact that you can't protect the lens with a filter. That really sucks, and I don't know if I'd be comfortable with it. Lens cap on, off, on, off, all day long. Hard to avoid scratching it with the lens protruding out, sand all around you, and non-expert lens cleaning skills. It would be my first journey into any attempt to clean an actual lens!

Of course, there are alternatives. There are cheaper UWA lenses from Canon and other companies, and there is the 16-35L II, but the more I read about this lens, the more I drool. There would be so many ways to put it to creative use. Plus, it might help me to hold off on making a much more expensive Ducati purchase, and maybe keep me alive for a while longer as well.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #1,758 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm back in Cayman for the fall and winter and want to do some beach stuff, both from land and from sea. My biggest concern about the 14 (besides the price) is the fact that you can't protect the lens with a filter. That really sucks, and I don't know if I'd be comfortable with it. Lens cap on, off, on, off, all day long. Hard to avoid scratching it with the lens protruding out, sand all around you, and non-expert lens cleaning skills. It would be my first journey into any attempt to clean an actual lens!

Wayne, I use the Sigma 12-24, and it has a similarly bulbous and permanently exposed front element. I think worrying about damaging your front element is overrated. The built-in lens hood prevents all but small items from being able to contact the element in the first place. I haven't had any cleaning problems, the front doesn't get that dusty anyway, and when some does accumulate, a quick trip to the microfiber cloth is sufficient.

My only concern would be prolonged exposure to sea spray. If that is a situation you think you'd be using the lens in, frequently, perhaps a filter-capable lens with a UV filter would be better off.

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #1,760 of 2,718
So, I picked up a Canon T1i a few weeks ago. Snagged it for 720 for the kit. I felt it was a pretty good deal. I'm now just throwing a little list of cheapish accesseries for potential xmas gifts from the 'rents. looking for C&C

Amazon.com: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens: Electronics

Amazon.com: Opteka 10x 58mm HD² Professional Macro Lens for Canon EOS / EF: Electronics

i can't decide between these 2 fisheye addons though.

Amazon.com: Opteka .35x HD² Super Wide Angle Panoramic Macro Fisheye Lens for Canon EOS / EF: Electronics

or

Amazon.com: 0.42X FISHEYE LENS W/ MACRO FOR CANON EOS DIGITAL REBEL: Electronics

Amazon.com: Canon Speedlite 270EX Flash for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

I was also looking for filters but those aren't very expensive so i guess i come to you guys for a recommendation there as well ha.

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #1,761 of 2,718
Nov 8, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #1,762 of 2,718
Hello!

I need a lens recommendation.

I'm currently using a Canon EF 50mm 1.8 Prime as a walkaround (I know, don't kill me.
biggrin.gif
) for my Canon Digital Rebel XTi , and I hate the kit lens.

So, I'm wondering. What's the next step for me?

I probably need a better walkaround lens with a bigger range. I don't need to much on the wide angle side since I've learned to "walk instead of zoom" with the prime. 28mm is plenty. My budget is around $400 MAX.

Oh, and here's my photo portfolio: http://leonhu.carbonmade.com
The photos are absolutely untouched except for that one HDR. Please comment!
biggrin.gif

Thanks,
Leon

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #1,763 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took the plunge last month and got a 5DmkII with a 200LmkII and the 24mm TS-E. I had the 35L and 85LmkII and I really love the 5D with all of them. Prior to the 5D I had the 1DsmkI and the 5DmkII is definitely an upgrade. I still miss the 1Ds viewfinder, focusing and metering consistency however image quality and the features of the 5D are impressive. Glad I am back to taking photos!

Is it TS-E 24L II ?

tilt-rotation2-001.gif

shift-rotation-001.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #1,764 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's still a crop. My next one will be full frame.

Depending on ones needs, a FF camera is not always the right tool for the job. I get the benefit of making my long lenses longer, and the pixel density of the 7D 18MP sensor goves very high resolution. (Amazing resolution, actually).

Then there is the simple fact that a FF camera with the 7D specifications/features is over $6000. (And it's still only 5 FPS vs. 8 FPS). Totally unrealistic for me. A 5D mkII is $2700, and lacks the sophisticated AF of the 7D. For me, the 7D was the most cost effective solution. Plus, I still have some money left for another lens, and I would much rather spend my money on glass wherever possible.

FF is definitely in my future, but right now, the state of the DSLR is such that you have to choose what you want to spend your money on: feature set or sensor size. Unless your budget is pretty much unlimited, which mine is not.

And BTW, if you have nothing to contribute beyond snide comments, please refrain from commenting at all.

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #1,765 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it TS-E 24L II ?

tilt-rotation2-001.gif

shift-rotation-001.gif

I originally bought the mkI but I sold it within the month and upgraded to the mkII. The mkI was excellent however the mkII is spectacular. I am one of these people that take forever to upgrade (thus using 1DsmkI up until 2 months ago) but the mkII is definitely a worthy upgrade.

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #1,766 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I originally bought the mkI but I sold it within the month and upgraded to the mkII. The mkI was excellent however the mkII is spectacular. I am one of these people that take forever to upgrade (thus using 1DsmkI up until 2 months ago) but the mkII is definitely a worthy upgrade.

beerchug.gif

Just got mine last week -- LOVE it:

IMG_0329.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back