The California Audio Show
Jul 19, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #16 of 22
I heard it was a good show.  A few Head-Fi'ers I met with yesterday were there.  Wish I had made it.

Did you check out the Napa Accoustic NA-208A / NA-208S combination?  I've been hearing it's quite good for like $600.  I see they have a tube headphone amp with a built in DAC for $299 too.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #17 of 22
Just got back from opening day at the 2012 California Audio Show, some nice speakers and speaker amplifier, could not find any headphone stuff, but will look more on Saturday.

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:
Just got back from opening day at the 2012 California Audio Show, some nice speakers and speaker amplifier, could not find any headphone stuff, but will look more on Saturday.

I went yesterday as well. They had a little headphone setup in the lobby, but nothing too much of note.

The MBL system was extremely resolute and impressive. I've heard the 101's sound poor about half the time at these shows, so it was nice to hear them well here.

The Wilson Alexandria's sounded a bit lifeless with just a hint of glare in the upper mids....couldn't listen long before wanting to be somewhere else. I have heard them sound much better elsewhere.

The big Magico's sounded very good. They had them far into the room, which gave the listener a great sense of width and depth. I listened exclusively to them with an analog front-end, and the result was very engaging. Good music selection too....which is always a crap shoot at these shows.

Most of the other rooms were VERY small, and as a result didn't allow for many examples of some good sound worth recalling. I'm sure I missed some good rooms, but as the pass is for 3 days, I might go back Sunday to catch some rooms I missed. 

All in all, a good way to spend a Friday...

Even though it was Friday, and attendance was on the lean side, I still had a difficult time finding an empty 'sweet spot' chair in the majority of the rooms. 

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #20 of 22
I saw something about a female singer will be at the CAS on Sunday at 11:00AM, can not remember her name, I think she has two albums out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back