The California Audio Show
Jun 18, 2010 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

soundboy

Headphoneus Supremus
First of all, I am in no way associated with the California Audio Show.  However, while driving into San Francisco today, I noticed a giant billboard advertising it (in between 2 other giant billboards with Jennifer Anniston).

http://www.caaudioshow.com/

Even though it's not necessarily a headphone-oriented audio show, I figure some of you may be interested.  Especially when $10.00 will buy you a 3-day pass. 

Just a heads-up

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 22
I'm heading over on Friday, and if it's interesting enough I'll go back on Sunday. It's been a long time since that last audio show in San Francisco. Maybe this show will run again next year and we'll have an even larger vendor list?

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 22
Thanks for the heads up.. I didn't know about this one... Maybe able to get over there... would like to go that is for sure..

Cheers,

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 22
was sorely tempted to attend, but then wrapped up my bay area trip for this month and left just before they opened their doors. needed to go to ground somewhere warmer, the bay area has been weirdly chilly! - if you do go, oakland's jack london square has good food and nice views in a nicer setting than you'd find in emeryville, and it's close by.

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 22
The show was a blast!  Standouts to me:

JBL Everest II, because, well, It's a $60,000 or $70,000 pair of speakers!

Legacy Audio Whisper - Show standout for sound, but a big-arsed speaker and $15k t $17k....

Revel Ultima(?) tower - about $22K, and a really lovely speaker, but again, $22K?

Fritz Carbon 7's and whatever he has named his smaller version with the 5" slit revelator mid-woofer, as always.  I'm a bit biased here - I own a pair of his Grove towers.  Soooo much speaker for the money with Fritz.  Sounds like $4K or $5K, costs less than $2k, plus he is a really nice guy.

Acoustic Technologies - a smallish single driver tower, with a 3" driver, horn loaded with a "resonator" incorporated as well.  Unbelievable range and musicality from this tiny speaker.  This one was around $2650.

Grant Fidelity - Nice stuff, made in China - REALLY Inexpensive.

And the usual gaggle of overpriced cables, vinyl out the wazzoo (ya know, I kind of get the vinyl resurgence, but I don't think its for me).

A great show, hope to see it again next year.

Aug 2, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
vinyl out the wazzoo (ya know, I kind of get the vinyl resurgence, but I don't think its for me).

Of all the rooms I visited, I think only one of them was playing a CD or a SACD (in an Oppo BDP-83).  Grant Fidelity was using an Apple laptop via wireless connection.  Otherwise, all vinyl.

Feb 26, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 22

Quote:

The last audio show was the Stereophile show at the San Francisco Marriott, way back in....was it the early 90s?

Yeah, I remember that. And I remember them getting spooked by the strike that cancelled the following show.
So this California Audio Show is good... on par with the Stereophile one (or better?)?  No list of presenters posted yet.

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 22
Resurrecting this thread for the 2011 show this weekend.  tickets are $10 on line, $20 at the door. They are good for 3 days.  I'm going to try and make it Saturday.  I had a great time last year.  I might write head-fi on my name tag or something in case anyone else is going.  Anyone going?

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:

Of all the rooms I visited, I think only one of them was playing a CD or a SACD (in an Oppo BDP-83).  Grant Fidelity was using an Apple laptop via wireless connection.  Otherwise, all vinyl.

This year, probably 2/3 vinyl, 1/3 computer rigs.  CD players seemed to be used mostly for those bringing their own music to audition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back