The C&C Box Sexy Pictorial...
Mar 5, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #76 of 99
Mar 5, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #78 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flumoxed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone ordered the C&C box from http://www.headb.com/c_and_c_box/index.html without any incidents?

Yes.. they're a head-fi sponsor and pretty safe. I ordered the C&C Box from them and recieved it with some problems (which were later resolved by contacting them). Their customer service was as good as any there was.. they sent me a compensation gift for my trouble:

IC1.jpg

They're fine distributors.

Mar 12, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #81 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it looks like you recaped it and gave it a new battery. what specific mods did you do?

Yup, I recaped the C&C Box and replaced the original battery pack. The Wimas input caps, I replaced them with Philips. As for the filtering caps, I replaced them with Nichicon FW audio caps, with bypass caps. and the Panasonics are replaced with Nichicon FG audio caps. The batteries are Sanyo eneloop. These batteries have extremely low leakage over time. so I give them a try.

Now I have this modded C&C Box burning in. I hope it'll become an even better C&C Box.

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #82 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by hon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, I recaped the C&C Box and replaced the original battery pack. The Wimas input caps, I replaced them with Philips. As for the filtering caps, I replaced them with Nichicon FW audio caps, with bypass caps. and the Panasonics are replaced with Nichicon FG audio caps. The batteries are Sanyo eneloop. These batteries have extremely low leakage over time. so I give them a try.

Now I have this modded C&C Box burning in. I hope it'll become an even better C&C Box.

hey hon thats pretty cool. good to know that the battery can be simply replaced with off the shelf NiMh AAAs. do give us a detailed update on how much difference does the mods make to the base c&c
rs1smile.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #83 of 99
I too noticed that the battery pack were just 4 AAAs in plastic wrapping. I thought of replacing them with off the shelf rechargeables too but I have no idea how to wrap them up...

I love my C&C, it being my first headphone amp, but I don't like the fact that it over-emphasizes the upper-mids. When I first tried them, I commented that they tend to "Gradolize" the sound. Well when I tried them with the SR225... My ears bled.
tongue.gif

hon I would love to hear your impressions of how the recapping affected the sound. I was looking over at PCX ( Parts conneXion ) for their blackgates. It seemed like there all the blackgates were to big to replace the original capacitors with.

Lastly, The C&C has a total of 6 (!) op-amp chips. I wonder if these can be replaced as well?

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #84 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by hon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

AWESOME!Looking great there Hon! Let us know what you think when you get in burn-in time. Mine is still burning-in around 100 hrs.

Mar 15, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #85 of 99
Thanks guys. The mod wasn't too difficult but it would take some desoldering/resoldering works. scottie, I'll take some closer pics for your reference to show how the battery are connected. aegisofrime, to make the battery pack, we have first to glue the stock batteries so to hold them in place. and after connecting the joins and wires, we can use a 6cm head shrink tube to wrap the batteries.

Well, I tried to listen to my modded C&C box for a few minutes. I have to tell that my mod isn't quite successful. The modded C&C Box seems to sound more transparent, but it's high frequency now sounds too bright for me. I think I'll remove the 0.1 buy-pass film caps and try again, they are probably the cause of the "brightness".

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #86 of 99
aegisofrime, some pics for your reference:

modded_cncbox_battery1.jpg

modded_cncbox_battery2.jpg

Solder the +ve and the -ve of the batteries to make them a serial battery pack.
Then solder the connecting wire, orange -> +ve, red -> -ve and brown -> "ground".

(my solder job looks awful.
icon10.gif
)

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #89 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirVesseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I certainly looks SWEET. I think this cable is very new, so there won't be a lot of users. Jet
eek.gif

There was a simple review about it.
The performance seems to be considerably good compared with the cable of
the attachment.
The sound seems to become thick.
However, iPod seems to float a little when iPod is put on the amplifier
because the cable is hard.
It seems to be difficult to put the amplifier and iPod in the pocket.

ヾ(@゚_゚@)ノヾ(@。。@)ノヾ(@゚_゚@)ノ

Mar 25, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #90 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by aegisofrime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the pics hoh. Sadly, I'm growing a bit disillusioned with my C&C. Looking at a PPA now... I seriously need to mod my C&C soon. Hope your experiments turns out well!

modded_cncbox.jpg

I've taken the advice from my brother that bigger caps usually sounds better and use no bypass cap for "bright" amps. I replaced the Nichicon audio cap + 0.1 bypass with a Panasonic. I hope this mod will give more neutral sound. I'll let you guys know the result after having some burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back