The Burson Soloist Voyager! The sexy new flagship Headphone Amp / Preamp - Pure Class-A, 10 Watts XLR
Nov 7, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #16 of 128
I'll stick with my Violectric thank you....

Nov 7, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #17 of 128
I realize specifications & performance numbers don't tell the whole story, but as others have pointed out there is nothing separating it from the previous model. I notice that component density is higher on the new board, so I guess it comes down to component quality and complexity? In the end it will come down to whether or not you can hear a improvement in sound quality between the two models.
I currently own a Soloist 3XP w/ supercharger, and I have a Mjolnir 3 on order, but I am curious how this compares to competing amps on the market especially since headphones like the Tungsten exist. 😉

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #18 of 128
Seems the main change is a new case in order to eliminate the need for active cooling, which is a great step forward. Visually I'm also a big fan of the new look. The design looks great, and I hope is used on the next Conductor as well.

I think the big question on everyone's mind is, are there any sound differences/refinements from the most recent 3X GT?

Nov 7, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #20 of 128
Amazing, thank you for letting us know, I've been waiting two days to find out if you would, phew, the relief

Sorry to crush your dreams with Burson 😈

Nov 7, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #22 of 128
It seems that during the development of the design of this device, the in-house designer was on vacation and the software technicians had to cope on their own. When the designer returned from vacation, it was late. Case components have been ordered, advertising brochures have been printed, and reviews have been paid for. “Oh!! oh well! and that'll do. Next year we’ll do an update.” - said the designer. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 7, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #23 of 128
I sincerely hope that the engineers thought to provide a separate power line for the display so that it does not increase the background noise of the amplifier. It would also be correct to provide the ability to turn it off to improve sound quality.

I'll probably be wrong, but I'd like to believe that it has additional "Super Low" and "Ultra Low" amplification modes added for the best pairing with efficient headphones.

I also hope that to change the volume from “0” to “99”, you will no longer need to rotate the volume control 10 times around its axis (3-5 turns would be quite enough).

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #25 of 128
Say goodbye to the beautiful fins, the smooth curves and the simplistic rectangular shape, and say hello to a WW1 high heat dissipation tank. :anguished:

I highly doubt this is bulletproof too, need to cross-check!

Burson wanted to get rid of the fan no matter what but I never thought I would ever go as far as saying that I prefer the noctua instead of this....

The fan-less design is a blessing for the op-amp rollers though. Fan + SP modules were getting things increasingly overcrowded for the big discrete.

Nov 7, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #27 of 128
Seems the main change is a new case in order to eliminate the need for active cooling, which is a great step forward. Visually I'm also a big fan of the new look. The design looks great, and I hope is used on the next Conductor as well.

I think the big question on everyone's mind is, are there any sound differences/refinements from the most recent 3X GT?
Looks like more under the hood changes...

Burson-R-121X-S4.jpg

Burson-V-220-S5.jpg

Nov 8, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #28 of 128
Looks like more under the hood changes...
The one that you posted at the top is the single-ended version. Between the Voyager and the 2023 balanced Soloist (as well as the 2021 GT minus the SP modules), my eyes aren't able to spot any difference on the circuitry. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #29 of 128

@Dramlin if this one is without active cooling this makes it really interesting. On the other hand at this price level the market is already crowded, but the case design may help a bit :wink: I wonder how it sounds. This will be the most important factor after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back