The British Psych Appreciation Thread
Jul 16, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #32 of 49

An obvious one, I know. But still...
A demonstration of how to be psychedelic without studio trickery, i.e. stripped-back psych.

It's all in the songs
confused_face.gif

Jul 16, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #34 of 49
Bowie. Yep, Bowie.

He got caught under the Glam genre, but a lot of his stuff is truly psych. It's a shame many rejected his art because of the Bi thing.

Jul 16, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #35 of 49

Quote:

An obvious one, I know. But still...
A demonstration of how to be psychedelic without studio trickery, i.e. stripped-back psych.

It's all in the songs
confused_face.gif

Love this record and Opal. 

To the OP, I had a similar experience after getting the Nuggets box set may years ago.  I started collecting many of the  bands I heard on it.  Hunting for the original vinyl of tracks that appeared on that set unlocking a vast genre that clearly influenced my taste in music.   

Great thread guys,  keep em coming.  

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #36 of 49

Quote:
To the OP, I had a similar experience after getting the Nuggets box set may years ago.  I started collecting many of the  bands I heard on it.  Hunting for the original vinyl of tracks that appeared on that set unlocking a vast genre that clearly influenced my taste in music.   

Great thread guys,  keep em coming.  

you know what they say ---  it's the greatest era of music! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #37 of 49
The Who - The Who Sell Out
Although one would be hard pressed to categorize this entire record as psychedelic, the hit single "I Can See For Miles" certainly is.
As are a few other moments ("Armenia, City in the Sky").
And this was quite a departure for The Who.

This is, without a shadow of a doubt, my favorite 'oo album.
My best bud and i used to sit and harmonize the lyrics to "Tattoo".  Ha.  those were the days.

Highly recommended.

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #38 of 49

Small Faces - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake

Not just The Small Face's best work, but one of the shining moments of Brit psych.
The album's packaging resembled a tobacco tin, with the design lifted from a can of Ogden's Nut Brown Flake tobacco.
The word brown cleverly changed to gone, a very psychedelic word.  
wink_face.gif

It's really something to listen to this, and then to hear the direction the band would take (as The Faces) after Marriott's departure...  quite something.

Jul 25, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #40 of 49
@ falis - Agreed.  adding Rod and Ron pretty much changed them from a whimsical, somewhat diminutive band into a beer-guzzling bar brawling bunch.
and the music certainly reflected this.

here's a multi-album post, just to sweep up a few other albums that, while not on the same tier as the previously posted stuff, are pretty good...

Arthur Brown - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Tomorrow - Tomorrow

Nirvana - The Story of Simon Simopath

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #41 of 49
Wow, some really great recommendations in here. Big thumbs up to The Move! "The Stars were Fair..." is one of my favourite weird folk albums of all time. A few others to complement:

Forest

Vashti Bunyan

Jul 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #42 of 49
ahhh... great mentions, GlendaleViper.
i love Forest, Vashti, and tons of others from the psych-folk or freak-folk genre.
i'd call it a very fruitful sub-category of british pysch for sure.

keep 'em coming.  here's another in the same vein:

Trees - On The Shore  (1970)

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #43 of 49
Back 'atcha, Wuss (feels weird calling you that!). Mary Anne with the Shaky Hands is probably my favourite Who tune, and Sell Out has a massive chunk of my favourite single tunes out of all their albums.

Anyone else find themselves holding "cut-n-paste b-side" albums higher than a band's more sophisticated efforts?

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #44 of 49

Yup! Give me Happy Jack.

- Ed

Quote:
Back 'atcha, Wuss (feels weird calling you that!). Mary Anne with the Shaky Hands is probably my favourite Who tune, and Sell Out has a massive chunk of my favourite single tunes out of all their albums.

Anyone else find themselves holding "cut-n-paste b-side" albums higher than a band's more sophisticated efforts?

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #45 of 49
Here's an underappreciated gem.
The first international release by the Brothers Gibb, aka Bee Gees.
Called, aptly, Bee Gees 1st.

The album is a heady mix of chamber pop and experimental sonic concoctions, and contains some outstanding songwriting that, in my humble opinion, places the Gibbs only one notch below Lennon and McCartney. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back