The biography of a virgin audiophile (E500PTH)
Jan 20, 2007 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

CSIR

100+ Head-Fier
I decided that for other virgins out there I would chronicle how my purchase of the E500s went. To start things off I'll answer the question why the hell or how the hell does someone go from only having used $20 sony buds to $500 cans. Well I like nice things and to me not only do nice things last way longer you also get to enjoy them way more. I was going through buds at a pace of 2 per year (the left side kept losing its signal). I had always put songs on my computer at 192 or 320kbs (even though my friends always said past 128 your wasting space).

So one day I was talking to a gentlemen that had just bought a pair of the Bose 3Q. He was amazed by there sound isolation and quality and I was amazed at the price he paid. This was sitting in my head for a couple days when I decided that I was going to research headphones (I'm a masters student so this comes naturally). So I started by seeing what all the different types cost (it was boxing week sale time in Canada so stuff is usually way cheaper). I went to Best buy first b/c they usually have sweet sales at this time. To my chagrin there Bose headphones had no deal (hipee, cause I would have bought them) but what I did see was Shure E5cs for 50% off, I said wow those aren't even over ear phones and they cost over $600 at one point.

Obviously before laying down 400 bones after tax I wanted to see some reviews on these things. I'd say laying down hard earned money but I'm a student and have been for 8years so at this point it's the governments. Lets just say I probably researched for a good 10hours. Best research spots were Cnet and ipodlounge. Best places to buy from in Canada is Marcopolo.ca with other options being Tom Lee and axe music.

Day 1:
I knew my package was to arrive on Friday so doing research on the best forms of lossless and ipod firmware I thought hey I should put Rockbox on my ipod. Well I'm a physio not a computer programmer and so I managed to screw it up. Thought my ipod was wrecked but I managed to stop the blinking and get it restarted (fewhh, guess I'll do apple lossless instead of FLAC). So the package arrives and the first thoughts coming out of my head are "am I dumb, I just paid a ton of Cash for these tiny things". Unfortunately I couldn't use my ipod right away so I used my roommates shuffle. Full of music I didn't like at 128kbs. Well it took a while to get the right seal but WOW even at this bitrate the kickdrum sounded awesome.

Once I got my ipod working (I ripped a ton of lossless) I put on Vivaldi (this just sounds incredulous, I think I'm in the middle of the orchestra, highs and lows I have never heard so crisp). Then I tried some R&B Akon's I wanna love you (bass is phat, smooth, crisp and sounds better then the sound coming from the 1million plus sound systems of some of the clubs I've been to). Next up was some David Gray. When I was at his concert in the summer I thought he sounded fantastic, I also thought he should have recorded his new album with the supporting musicians he had that night. Well he did, I just didn't hear it as well before, again fantastic! Next up was some Metallica, same results amazing sound bass that I had never heard before, drumming that sounds way better. I had read from people on this board that these phones have no sound stage. To my ears they do. I cross compared Ne-Yo's Sexy love with my old $20 ear buds and my sony $100 over ears and it sounds like there is a chorus coming from the front and Ne-Yo at the sides (doesn't even sound like that with my over ear headphones. Not sure how this comes from such a small hole.

My only complaints on the first night are the yellow foamies that come with it (I wish they were the new black ones). Additionally, one of the foamies is half size. Guess QC doesn't check that out, oh well.

I already have 2 questions:

1. At what ambient temperatures should I stop using these at? It was negative 40F last week so it gets pretty cold here. (turkishdelight have you tested this)

2. How much would an amp improve the sound (a month ago I didn't even know they improved sound, thought they just increased volume and let you adjust bass and treble more, looks like hornet is the amp of choice). It seems hard to believe it could improve much more.

More later

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 24
The temperature difference towards the sound sig is very, VERY little.

Don't rip Lossless right off...it'll kill your batteries, esp. if you plan to use Rockbox. ABX with Foobar2000 first; I rip at LAME MP3 @ V0 --vbr -new. But no reason to go so high if you can't first tell the difference; testing with IEM aids a lot.

If anything, if you prefer IEMs over full-sized cans, go with the Tomahawk.

That's all I can think of for now. Have fun with your new toy, and don't let them get near any pets!
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 24
I personally do not gain anything from CNet's reviews because they cover information that is not really relevant to what I want to know.

Answers to your questions:
1. Probably about the same temperature at which you should stop using your iPod. I believe there are some specs for operating temps in the instruction manual.

2. Yes, but you need to find a headphone amp built to drive low impedance rather than high impedance headphones. From what people have posted here, it seems the Hornet is for higher impedance phones and Ray's new Tomahawk is better suited for this task. The caveat is that you will probably also need a line-out adapter.

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 24
Thanks

When I first started researching on IEM Cnet's reviews were actually good at telling me the basics but why I actually told people about it was for the reviews from the type of people that use this site. They provided comparisons to the Etys, which I was also considering buying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ya8282 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally do not gain anything from CNet's reviews because they cover information that is not really relevant to what I want to know.

Answers to your questions:
1. Probably about the same temperature at which you should stop using your iPod. I believe there are some specs for operating temps in the instruction manual.

2. Yes, but you need to find a headphone amp built to drive low impedance rather than high impedance headphones. From what people have posted here, it seems the Hornet is for higher impedance phones and Ray's new Tomahawk is better suited for this task. The caveat is that you will probably also need a line-out adapter.

Jan 20, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orubasarot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand the relevance of this thread, there are audiophiles who aren't virgins?

More talking about people like me who may have always liked high quality music (like if you liked women) but never got to try audiophile type set up (like sex) and therefore you are a virgin. I can say I am no longer an audiophile quality sound virgin. The relevance is in the fact that the headphone companies are marketing these high-fi headphones to a much broader audience. I wanted to post this thread so individuals that are like me have an opportunity to hear a review from someone who made the huge jump in headphone quality.

Jan 20, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The temperature difference towards the sound sig is very, VERY little.

Don't rip Lossless right off...it'll kill your batteries, esp. if you plan to use Rockbox. ABX with Foobar2000 first; I rip at LAME MP3 @ V0 --vbr -new. But no reason to go so high if you can't first tell the difference; testing with IEM aids a lot.

If anything, if you prefer IEMs over full-sized cans, go with the Tomahawk.

That's all I can think of for now. Have fun with your new toy, and don't let them get near any pets!
wink.gif

Thanks

With Itunes a lot of the lossless I have been burning is going at 600+ (Megadeth and some latin music went at well over 1000). I definetly noticed the battery running out quick. May have to start totting around car battery in backpack.

Jan 20, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 24
320 kbps LAME MP3 or AAC will be the best compromise. Thats what I use with my E500, basically lossless.

and amping them helps TREMENDOUSLY. I find it hard to listen straight out of my ipod, it sounds very compressed and saturated. I'm getting a Tomahawk soon, I think you should go the same route. You will be amazed if you think they sound good now!

Jan 21, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 24
You're a grad student, so I'm sure you'll do your research!
wink.gif
There are some nice offerings from *ahem* Canadian companies that would probably give you GREAT results with your IEMs!! (for a little less dough).

Amping does help the E500s to shine, but also keep in mind that there are other important things to consider such as the bitrate compression (if compressed) of the files, the source, lineout..etc.. you get the idea!

Jan 21, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 24
I was just starting to listen more today to Hard Rock/Heavy Metal and I was super disappointed by the sound. I remember seeing some threads here where people were bashing the EQ settings in Ipods. I had it set to no EQ and classical and Hip-hop/R&B sounded fantastic. Hard rock/heavy metal had no cymbals or bass (I wanted kick drum and bass guitar). Turned ipod setting to rock.... problem solved. Is there an even better way to do the EQ?

Jan 21, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSIR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. At what ambient temperatures should I stop using these at? It was negative 40F last week so it gets pretty cold here.

I believe that our own Patrick82 has done research into temperature, equipment and headphones. I recommend that you read some of his threads.

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that our own Patrick82 has done research into temperature, equipment and headphones. I recommend that you read some of his threads.

I'm not sure if you were trying to help or just provide me with some entertainment? Nevertheless, that thread was hilarious about all his quotes. I almost peed myself on multiple occasions. I think he comments more on temperature affects of quality. I'm more worried about temp causing damage.

Jan 21, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #14 of 24
So it's day three with my new toy and I've found out a lot about my ipod, amps, and sound. I just found out you can listen to your ipod while it charges. Changing EQ sounds better with rock but all other types of music I like it off. I am able to discern between lossless and 320kbs (i wish I wasn't cause the lossless drains my battery in just under 2hrs). I wonder if the difference is about the same difference a tomahawk would get me? Maybe I'll leave the high bitrate and save money by not buying an amp. Bloody hell I should have never joined this forum as I actually find myself thinking about one day getting an amp and that silver cable that connects. But I must stand firm and not spend more or next thing you know I'll be upgrading the home stereo (currently a minisystem that I'm sure to you all sucks balls and to me it is starting to sound WAY WORSE). One of my friends warned me about this. Good sound is more addictive then crack cocaine!

So far I like the sound best with the med sized PVC buds but the right one falls out once my ear starts sweating. I think the yellow foamies would be better if they were both regular length. Just about to try tri-F.

Jan 21, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 24
Are you using LAME or AAC with EAC to encode those 320kbps files? because I HIGHLY doubt you woud be able to tell the difference between those and lossless, especially out of the iPods terrible headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back