The Biggest Bang For the Buck Thread
Nov 5, 2016 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TWerk

Headphoneus Supremus
Just curious what you all think as some of the best VALUE purchases out there.

I love my more expensive headphones, and wouldn't want to leave their side, however I must admit there are some amazing bargains for those who don't have much money.

I'd say for headphones, the CAL! (Creative Aurvana Live) has to be up there. For the price, it is simply fantastic! Comfortable, enjoyable smooth sound, with a great bass response. The price to performance ratio is mismatched IMO and they should cost more for the SQ. Highly recommended!

For IEM's, obviously the VE Monks. I have the Monk plus, and it is just unbelievable the SQ for 5 dollars. I don't even know how they build it for $5, but I was just sitting at work the other day with these in my ears and a huge grin on my face. If you have $5, you can have great sound quality. Ditch the fast food meal one night and buy one of these instead. As a head-fier, who has tried many very expensive headphones, it is simply silly how good these sound for $5 that I find the whole concept of their existence to be amusing. Everyone should have a pair of these things for the amusement of what $5 can buy.

I also want to nominate the Yamaha EPH-100. Such a fun, punchy earphone with a great 3-d sound-stage. One of my favorite IEM's for bass heavy, electronic music and it's cheap, too.

I'll also mention neither needs a separate amp at all, which makes them even cheaper to consider.

Anyone want to add to the list with your recommendation? What's your biggest bang(s) for the buck?!

This is not to say the more expensive headphones are not worth it (some very much are) but rather, that you don't need to have lots of money to enjoy great audio.

Nov 5, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 16
Entry level or old stax lambdas. They destroy just about anything in a similar price range.
The current HD6XX drop
Koss Portapros with better pads
Old fostex flagships and secondlines, like the OG T30 and T50, as well as come other classic orthos

These things are a variety of prices up to a few hundred bucks but they all punch far above their tag.

Nov 5, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 16
**** 4in1 about 25$, amazing soundstage, great bass though highs can be to much

I forsee this thread turning inte another chifi one, chifi is not always that good but bang for buck is usually pretty solid

Nov 5, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 16
Everyone's idea of value differs, was just looking at what people consider to be really good sounding HP's for the price.

I guess price doesn't really matter too, if you feel a 500 dollar HP is huge value for the price, certainly cool to mention it.

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 16
Stax 207

M Audio Q40

Monoprice 8320 (with Comply)

Nov 6, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 16
Chord Mojo + Shure SE846. Sounds like an endgame setup even for home-use and it's portable at the same time too.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #12 of 16
I'll toss in a vote for the VE Zen 2.0 and a Dragonfly Red. It goes a long way for not too much. I will also give a shoutout to the 1More Triple Driver. It quickly became a 'quick grab' for me every time I left the house.

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #14 of 16
In the UK and most of Europe

Sony MDR10RC
Musical Fidelity MF100
Jays V Jays

I have all three well under £100 for the lot!

Nov 8, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #15 of 16
Vsonic GR07's. You will have a hard time besting them even close to the price. 
ATH-M20's. No one seems to ever mention them but if you want M50's it's exactly the same bass, the same sound signature and overall I think 85% as good if you can live with the 10' cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back