The big problem: what portable MP3 player to pair with Bose In-Ear?
Jul 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gianguido

New Head-Fier
Hi forum!
I want to upgrade my old ZEN Vision:M to something with a good audio quality, a real equalizator and microSD slot.
I've recived a 6G iPod Nano (the one with touch screen controls) and with the IEM that i have (a pair of Bose In-Ear, the model before the IE2) isn't working well: too much bass for me, and the lack of a real eq isn't a good thing.
In addiction, i have a lot of FLACs in my library, and hear them in MP3 isnt' a good idea!
I've found two players that suits me:
 - ZEN X-Fi 3
 - SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip
I'm a big fan of Creative, and the presence of all three point above plus the X-Fi technology, makes the X-Fi 3 the perfect companion for me, but I don't know if there's a good EQ on it.
The Sansa instead can run RockBox, but I'm not sure about the audio quality.
In Italy (yes, I'm Italian so sorry for my bad english!), on the official Creative site i can buy the X-Fi 3 + a free "style pack" for 80€, with free shipping.
What do you reccomend? Suggest more products if you know!
I listen mainly to Progressive Metal, Progressive Rock, Hard Rock, Jazz, Fusion and a bit of Rap'n'Roll.

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 11
I know nothing about I-Pods, but maybe changing the headphones, and not the player might
be easier an route to the sound you want.
IMHO if the player and headphones are good and well matched then there is no need for EQ.

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 11
I know nothing about I-Pods, but maybe changing the headphones, and not the player might
IMHO if the player and headphones are good and well matched then there is no need for EQ.

blem-what-portable-mp3-player-to-pair-with-bose-in-ear#post_8568812"]You could convert your FLAC Library to ALAC instead of MP3 so you can listen to your Lossless Files on your iPod.
[/quote]

But The iPod haven't a good audio quality or microsd slot
I'm gonna buy a sansa clip zip on amazon and i'll try: amazon accepts refunds :)

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 11
Your problem is your phones are bang close to junk.  sq out a ipod is good..... its not great but neither is it out the clip.

Keep the ipod sell the Bose and put the money towards something decent like the Yamaha eph-100, fxd-80, hje900 (I'm putting these type of phones together because coming from the Bose something like the er4s isn't going to sound good to you.)

Increases in sq from your dap is almost negligible in comparison with changing your phones.  but hell ill swap your a fuze and a clip zip for that nano :wink:

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 11
Things have changed since the Zen Vision:M.  I too was a creative fan from way back in the day.  I had a Zen Touch and Zen Muvo, actually now that I think about it I probably still have them, and picked up a Zen X-Fi 2 for cheap(mainly out of curiosity).  I found the modern Creative to be borderline unusable after getting used to the Ipods.  I also have a current gen Nano and I think modern Ipods sound pretty good.  Cowons sound a little better.  I imagine solutions like the CLAS or HP-P1 sound even better.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #8 of 11

blem-what-portable-mp3-player-to-pair-with-bose-in-ear#post_8568812"]You could convert your FLAC Library to ALAC instead of MP3 so you can listen to your Lossless Files on your iPod.

But The iPod haven't a good audio quality ...[/quote]

It's got considerably better sq than your phones

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 11
I agree with the above sentiments. The boated bass is cause by your earbuds, not your music player. If you want good sound quality, focusing on things like an equalizer and FLAC is the wrong way to go. FLAC files only provide minute details of difference, and you really have to be honed in to hear the difference with a higher quality rig. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 11
I've recived a 6G iPod Nano (the one with touch screen controls) and with the IEM that i have (a pair of Bose In-Ear, the model before the IE2) isn't working well

The bose are trash. Someone bought me a pair as a gift years ago. I just compared them head to head with some Sennheiser cx200s. Cost me 19 bucks. They MURDER the bose. I know sound preference vaires but I think almost anyone blessed with functional hearing would pick the 19 dollar Senn's over the bose (19 bucks were on sale from newegg but J&R has em too for 20 bucks right now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back