The Big O
Dec 3, 2001 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

PC Corp

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys.
I know many of you have heard the beautiful Big O. So can you give us some comments about it.
Everybody is saying that it was the best phone on both meetings. So I want to know how good(real) are they.
Man, if I start saving $1 a day, I'll get it someday.. someday.
redface.gif

Dec 3, 2001 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 23
wow, it's much shorter than I thought.
Somebody please buy it now and I will definitely buy it from you later. So you just pay $2 per day to listen to them, then we can call it a bargin.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 3, 2001 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 23
I'd act much faster than that; last I checked there were six left, and by now there are probably less.

Dec 3, 2001 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 23
oh hell no.
A used one is perfectly for me. I wonder I'll buy it of not even if I have a million $$$. But $4k will be a good price. By the way, I'll say I'm so dumb to connect them through my laptop.

Dec 4, 2001 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 23
I don't know how or why they would think that. Is it the most *beautiful* pair of headphones ever made? Taking the amp and the cans as a system, the answer is pretty clearly "yes". But honestly, I prefer the lowly '580s driven by a headphone jack to the Orpheus, for my musical (everything from "power orchestral" -- Mahler, Shostakovich, and the like -- to modern and classic rock to jazz to hip-hop) and sonic tastes at least. It's a matter of getting past the hype and the gorgeous construction and actually *listening* to the things, and seeing if they transport you into the music. For me, the dynamic Senns just do a better job of that. (Interestingly, I quite like 'stats as *speakers*.)

Or, put it another way. If I were given the Orpheus, I would sell it to someone like you, and use the proceeds to buy a pair of '600s (sound) and a Patek Phillipe watch (looks, handcraftedness).

Quote:

Originally posted by PC Corp
Hey guys.
I know many of you have heard the beautiful Big O. So can you give us some comments about it.
Everybody is saying that it was the best phone on both meetings. So I want to know how good(real) are they.
Man, if I start saving $1 a day, I'll get it someday.. someday.
redface.gif

Dec 4, 2001 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 23
Big O - i figured this thread was about the stadium where the Expos play ball (Olympic Stadium which around here we call the Big O) orrrrrr.... i figured this thread was about .. well. something else
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2001 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 23
Interesting. What did you listen to through them? Did you listen to anything with massed strings, for instance?

Also, did you do any quick comparisons between them and headphones with which you are more familiar?

Peace,

Jay, sorry that he inadvertently sparked off a conversation about watches.

NP: Dave Matthews Band, "Grace is Gone" (Summer 2000 tour, HiFi Buys nee Lakewood Ampitheatre, Atlanta, GA, USA)

Quote:

Originally posted by jude

My take on the Orpheus from the time I spent with it at the Detroit Get-Together is that it was my very favorite setup there, and the best sound from headphones that these ears have ever heard. Of course, they're expensive. And rare.

I am one of the ones who feels that -- in the time I listened to it -- they did everything right.

Dec 4, 2001 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 23
When I heard the Orpheus I also thought it did everything right -- but not in the sense of perfect accuracy across the frequency spectrum. The sound was somewhat analogous to a well-crafted argument -- it was trying to get a theme across, a singular message, as opposed to raising all points relevant to the discussion and knocking down some while letting others stand.

That is to say, the top-end didn't really sound rolled-off, but I somehow knew it was after listening to the Blockhead. Yet it was portrayed so sweetly and naturally that your ears weren't missing anything.

Bass seemed slightly exaggerated -- when listening to a techno track from the Propellerheads' CD decksanddrumsandrockandroll, the bass was so strong I got a headache. Then again, this was present on the Blockhead as well -- perhaps it's the fault of the Sennheiser headphones or just that there's that much bass on the CD?

In any case, to go back to the analogy of the argument, the Orpheus lacks nothing, but rather carefully leaves out those things which do not contribute to the music. While people may want to rattle the cage or cage the rattle-snake (
wink.gif
) by indignantly shouting, "Hey! Who's to say what should be in my music!" I would respond, "The one who can charm death with it."

Dec 4, 2001 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 23
DanG: There's a hell of bass on that cd, but I especially like the last track - if the propeller really works, then phone and amp are usually a good match.
wink.gif

But as this has become a watch thread, actually, I've got to add my mustard, too: If you want to collect rare chronos, try Sinn - it's a traditional German brand, but they use a lot of Lemania and Valjoux engines as many other watch makers do, too. And Sinns have their own charme... Not too expensive, either. But for everyday use I prefer Boccia watches - nice priced titanium quartz watches with a nice look. And these are not too huge, so thin herrings like me can wear these without looking silly.
biggrin.gif

citroeniste: Just btw, what do you own? A DS, maybe? A 4CV? Or even a SM?
smily_headphones1.gif
I also liked the looks of the Xantia... And the CX, too...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 4, 2001 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 23
Hi everyone (puts moderator sunglasses on
cool.gif
),

The Orpheus thread seemed to be still alive (to a certain degree), so I extricated the posts that were primarily about watches and moved them to a closed thread in the Members' Lounge entitled "Watches." Headphones first!
wink.gif

Best,
Dan
The Thread Pre-Med Mod (erator)

Dec 5, 2001 at 3:34 AM Post #14 of 23
"That is to say, the top-end didn't really sound rolled-off, but I somehow knew it was after listening to the Blockhead. Yet it was portrayed so sweetly and naturally that your ears weren't missing anything."

If something is missing, it's missing, no?
confused.gif

"In any case, to go back to the analogy of the argument, the Orpheus lacks nothing, but rather carefully leaves out those things which do not contribute to the music."

What in the audible spectrum does not contribute to the music? I must have missed something!
wink.gif
I can't follow this logic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2001 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 23
You're right, K... what I meant to say was more like that the top-end seemed a bit de-emphasized, not that notes were missing.
wink.gif
In other words, I'm just saying it's euphonic but done in such a way that the music feels more natural than on other systems which might have a flatter frequency response curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back