The beyerdynamic dtx60/dtx80/dtx100 - A few impressions.
Apr 17, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #16 of 40
Thanks very much for the valuable info Marcus.
I have owned CX300 but find the bass too boomy after a while. CX300's out of the box were great but I found them a bit too over powering after a few weeks.

I'm on a sony s639f so that could explain the slight harshness you experienced as well. The bundled supplied EX series earphones (EX85 I think) were surprisingly good but lacked mid range and were not noise isolating. These were my backup when the CX300's died. 4 months later the backup EX have died also. So that's the reason for the purchase of the DXT 80's, I wanted some earphones that are built well, noise isolating and obviously sound great, all for less than £100.

Perhaps the 80's aren't to my taste then, I can see the potential in the detail but I just find they have no depth or power.
The fit is perfect, so I can't see this being the issue, I tried the other bud sizes as well. I will definitely try and burn them in over the weekend and see if there is any change though.
In the mean time I was thinking of trying a pair of Klipsch Image S4's or Shure SE115's? Can you or anyone else recommend anything that may fit well with the Sony s639f? I mainly listen to electronic, indie & rock music.
Thanks again.

Apr 17, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #17 of 40
I can't imagine the s639 is the problem, my main player is a sony a-series and it's good with them, just the b-series is a much smaller dap. Also I had no problems with fit either but just thought i'd mention it. It's a good bet the sound is not for you.

If you're thinking of selling them ebay produce quite a good price atm, i sold my 80's (kept the 100's) a little over a week ago and got about £10 less than i paid for them.

I do not like shure's i had three in under 6 months and they all broke with cable issues and havent tried any since then. As far as the klipsch s4 goes they aren't bad but I found the bass overly boomy along the lines of senn’s although not as bad. My suggestion would be to look up higher sennheiser’s (maybe ie6/7?), or maybe a monster turbine although I haven’t heard any of them. Maybe someone else can pipe up?

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #18 of 40
I can return them next week if need be, minus the cost of the postage so won't lose out on much. Its good to see they keep their value though, thanks for that.

I will definitely avoid the Shure's then, I really want something that lasts this time!

I'm reluctant with trying the Sennheiser's as they are over the ear and unfortunately I wear glasses. So I don't think that will be very comfy?

Monster turbine looks interesting, though I have no experience with their products I thought they were more style over substance, but I've just been reading about them and they do indeed seem like a possible candidate.

Perhaps I will give the klipsch s4's a go, I've heard the bass relaxes a bit after time, with most people recommending a long burn in period.

Hmmmm decisions decisions!

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #19 of 40
Don't discount shure based on my input alone, they wouldn't be in business if everyone's experiences were like mine, however they also are more comfortable worn over ear. The Klipsch s4 may suit you, they are a lot better than sennheiser's cx300. Monster in general seem to be style over substance with the turbine and the three pro-turbines the exception, a lot of people like them on here and I think they come with a lifetime warranty.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...thread-416736/ - there should be a few reviews in that thread

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #20 of 40
Thanks for the link. I've had a long read and the monster turbines do have very positive reviews, except for a few mention a little distortion in places. They seem even more successful out of the box than the klipsch s4 reviews seem to have. These might just be the ones to go for! I wish I could afford to go for the pro versions now though!
Best price for the turbines I could find was £99 from Play, but I've never dealt with having to return items to Play, I would have preferred Amazon as their service in the past has been amazing but they are currently £20 more.

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by carrera3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm reluctant with trying the Sennheiser's as they are over the ear and unfortunately I wear glasses. So I don't think that will be very comfy?

Over-ear works perfectly fine for me with glasses, fwiw.

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #24 of 40
Marcus thanks for the review. I bought Beyerdynamic DTX 100 and I have to say I´m VERY happy. Source is Cowon D2+ and sound is amazing. It is clear, detailed and punchy with lot of detailed bass.

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #27 of 40
Just got the DTX-80 today and I'm already loving them ^__^...My friend, who got the Senn CX300, listened to the DTX-80 and was sad that he got the CX300 lol...I think he might go and get a pair next week or so ~__~ ... love how u put "Are these better than my apple earbuds?" made me go LOL XD...great review too~ ^__^

Sep 20, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #28 of 40

Quote:
love how u put "Are these better than my apple earbuds?"

Thanks and glad you like them, funnily enough someone actually asked me that in a pm, it wasn't worded quite like that but it still made me laugh. I haven't updated the content of this thread or anything, just checking on it, now i can let it sleep on in peace....

Nov 14, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #29 of 40
Thanks for your extensive review, Marcus_C. I bought a pair of second hand dtx100's and I really love the sound. Only thing is (like you already mentioned) the sound isolation, which could be better. I just ordered a set of comply tips, see how that works out.

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #30 of 40
Glad you're liking them. I used to use s-series foams with them and they fit my ears fine like that and isolation was better, you always have to be careful with comply's, IME it seems like a fair few of the combinations make the sound of the earphones noticeably worse, there's no doubting they help isolation though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back