The Beyerdynamic DT 480 discussion thread (impressions, mods etc.)
Mar 12, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #31 of 62
The first time i got my mono cable was with the dt100. I used them for audio lectures and such, then i realized it can be used for acapellas. With music listening it was strange at first, as the left channel is more dominant, though both channels play on both ears simultaneously. When i did left/right check on the mono cable, both ears play both channels as mono should, but when it said "right channel" "right channel" it was at 1/3 volume of the "left channel left channel" check. I believe vocals are usually on left channel (correct me if i'm wrong). Does this happen to you when doing balance checks with mono cable?
Since vocals come equally as powerful on both ears, and the instrumentals are at 33% o volume, it brings the voices super forward, so its definitely workable for vocal analysis type work ( whether professional or hobby). Its great for old recordings which are full of hiss, since the dt480/100/150 cleans it up. I don't know how these have such black backgrounds.

I tried hm5 sheeps but didn't like the feel vs dt100. I'm sure the 150 pads will be perfect,

True workhorses, I think you can use these for space travel as they can survive radiation.

They're ugly/beautiful like a Humvee

Ah that makes sense, I have a few spare cables for these headphones. They are equal when I do balance checks on mono when I tried it on the 25 ohm, I haven't tried it on the 8 ohm yet. The DT 480 definitely has a pitch black background, the DT 150 is very clean too but not quite like the DT 480 to my ears. What stands out the most on the DT 480 is how textured, it's insane transient response, detail, dynamics, and sibilant free it is, it's incredibly 3 dimensional. It does seem to eliminate a lot of noise, but I sometimes wonder if that noise should even be there to begin with as I can hear musical detail I can't hear on other headphones due to that lack of noise which makes me thing a lot of the noise may simply be added noise as it masks detail.

I am just going to get the regular pleathers. I had some hybrids which were very comfortable but sucked all the bass out of the headphone.

They can probably survive in those environments. It does have that type of appearance to them.

Mar 12, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #32 of 62
I sent email to Beyerdynamic few months ago about that DT 202. Unfortunately they dont have any documentation of that model :frowning2:. Same goes for DT 480. DT 202 is propably more similar to DT 100. Good thing is that BD seems to have had some effort of putting some damping material on it. Can you show us what´s inside it? What does it say on the package?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #33 of 62
I sent email to Beyerdynamic few months ago about that DT 202. Unfortunately they dont have any documentation of that model :frowning2:. Same goes for DT 480. DT 202 is propably more similar to DT 100. Good thing is that BD seems to have had some effort of putting some damping material on it. Can you show us what´s inside it? What does it say on the package?

I just stumbled on them somewhere on the internetz. I thought it was a 480, until i looked closer. I have no more info on these.
I posted in driver pics thread, and someone said they were dt100 drivers.
Not sure about the damping material.I though it looked like that winecork type material.
Seems rareAF :D
now the collection would require 4 rectangular Beyers , trio it aints

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #34 of 62
Ah that makes sense, I have a few spare cables for these headphones. They are equal when I do balance checks on mono when I tried it on the 25 ohm, I haven't tried it on the 8 ohm yet. The DT 480 definitely has a pitch black background, the DT 150 is very clean too but not quite like the DT 480 to my ears. What stands out the most on the DT 480 is how textured, it's insane transient response, detail, dynamics, and sibilant free it is, it's incredibly 3 dimensional. It does seem to eliminate a lot of noise, but I sometimes wonder if that noise should even be there to begin with as I can hear musical detail I can't hear on other headphones due to that lack of noise which makes me thing a lot of the noise may simply be added noise as it masks detail.

I am just going to get the regular pleathers. I had some hybrids which were very comfortable but sucked all the bass out of the headphone.

They can probably survive in those environments. It does have that type of appearance to them.

480.200 + 150 pillows/stereo cable = MAJOR WIN = MAJOR GRIN

thx 4 the tips, difference was immediate

:D

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #35 of 62
Added some sorbothane, three pieces inside each earcup connecting it to the housing. Also adjusting the magnet. Marked where the magnet gets tight and adjusted it from there. Will tinker to find the best position. Picture just for reference, it isn't showing the current position.
8FA365A2-5268-4D90-9D06-DCFB55544799.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #38 of 62
I was recently visiting in hifi dealer and had an chance to compare DT 480 to several modern headphones. The shop had both versions of Audeze EL-8, Audio Technica ATH AD5000X, Focal Clear and Utopia, Denon D7200, Hifiman Sundara, Beyerdynamic DT 440, Grado GS1000, Technics T700 (only multidriver HP of bunch), Yamaha MT-220 and HD 650. Test music was somekind of jazz. Can´t remember what artist it was. Can´t remember what CD player and amplifier was used. Listened about 3 min/ HP, several times.

- Every planar magnetic headphone had something wrong on mids but had better controlled bass.
- DT 440 was cheapest of the bunch but was suprisingly good overall. It had airiness and non-annoying treble. Although it had some kind of midrange emphasis.
- Denon had quite annoying treble and midbass hump.
- Grado sounded horribly nasal and also had annoying treble. I would say these were the worst. There was nothing of that with DT 480.
- HD 650 had essentially problem free mids and treble. I now understand why people still like it so much. It was not as grain free as DT 480, lacked some dynamics and bass control.
- Technics was somewhat a disappointment. It was almost as honky as Grado. Though it had someways slightly more accurate imaging than every other HP (exept DT 480). It may have something to do with how drivers are angled and positioned in the housing http://www.technics.com/uk/introduction/t700/
- Clear had annoying treble as well. I would say it was almost as annoying as Denon. Utopia was second to DT 480. Imaging was slightly bigger than on DT 480 but not as accurate. Utopia also had excellent resolution and transparency. Both Focals sounded quite effortless.
- AD5000x was quite airy but it had some peculiarities with imaging. When instruments were on side they were airy but if they were mixed on center, they lacked air. I have not experienced that before. Not as refined as HD 650.

What all headphones exept DT 480 lacked was ultimate clarity. DT 480 revealed details and showed variations in soundstage that Utopia didn´t. That was quite an experience. All in all, i´m very pleased to hear how well DT 480 holds up to modern headphones. My ranking for other headphone than DT 480 would be 1)Utopia 2)HD 650 3) AD5000X

Apr 16, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #39 of 62
I was recently visiting in hifi dealer and had an chance to compare DT 480 to several modern headphones. The shop had both versions of Audeze EL-8, Audio Technica ATH AD5000X, Focal Clear and Utopia, Denon D7200, Hifiman Sundara, Beyerdynamic DT 440, Grado GS1000, Technics T700 (only multidriver HP of bunch), Yamaha MT-220 and HD 650. Test music was somekind of jazz. Can´t remember what artist it was. Can´t remember what CD player and amplifier was used. Listened about 3 min/ HP, several times.

- Every planar magnetic headphone had something wrong on mids but had better controlled bass.
- DT 440 was cheapest of the bunch but was suprisingly good overall. It had airiness and non-annoying treble. Although it had some kind of midrange emphasis.
- Denon had quite annoying treble and midbass hump.
- Grado sounded horribly nasal and also had annoying treble. I would say these were the worst. There was nothing of that with DT 480.
- HD 650 had essentially problem free mids and treble. I now understand why people still like it so much. It was not as grain free as DT 480, lacked some dynamics and bass control.
- Technics was somewhat a disappointment. It was almost as honky as Grado. Though it had someways slightly more accurate imaging than every other HP (exept DT 480). It may have something to do with how drivers are angled and positioned in the housing http://www.technics.com/uk/introduction/t700/
- Clear had annoying treble as well. I would say it was almost as annoying as Denon. Utopia was second to DT 480. Imaging was slightly bigger than on DT 480 but not as accurate. Utopia also had excellent resolution and transparency. Both Focals sounded quite effortless.
- AD5000x was quite airy but it had some peculiarities with imaging. When instruments were on side they were airy but if they were mixed on center, they lacked air. I have not experienced that before. Not as refined as HD 650.

What all headphones exept DT 480 lacked was ultimate clarity. DT 480 revealed details and showed variations in soundstage that Utopia didn´t. That was quite an experience. All in all, i´m very pleased to hear how well DT 480 holds up to modern headphones. My ranking for other headphone than DT 480 would be 1)Utopia 2)HD 650 3) AD5000X

Honestly I haven't come across a bad Beyer in terms of fidelity, you can always fix them. I agree on the HD 650, that's my impressions of them as well, no issues with the mids and treble but the dynamics are a bit muted. The Utopia honestly reminds me a bit of the DT 48/480 when I heard them. I honestly mostly stick with Beyers, Senns, and select AKG's for a reason. Definitely agree on planardynamics having something inherently wrong with the midrange.

Honestly surprises me the driver in the DT 48/480 which is the original dynamic headphone driver is still better than pretty much everything today. Sadly they are a bit misunderstood by many though.

Apr 18, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #40 of 62
Honestly I haven't come across a bad Beyer in terms of fidelity, you can always fix them. I agree on the HD 650, that's my impressions of them as well, no issues with the mids and treble but the dynamics are a bit muted. The Utopia honestly reminds me a bit of the DT 48/480 when I heard them. I honestly mostly stick with Beyers, Senns, and select AKG's for a reason. Definitely agree on planardynamics having something inherently wrong with the midrange.

Honestly surprises me the driver in the DT 48/480 which is the original dynamic headphone driver is still better than pretty much everything today. Sadly they are a bit misunderstood by many though.

What you think of these pads? :xf_eek: Tempting Genuine Leather + alcantara.

dt150custompds.jpg

I've heard Utopia as well and it was to me the best dynamic I've ever heard. I could see it as being perfect with proper chain and EQ for an individual's ears as all ears are different. I thought to myself once with dt480 there were some similarities in its ability to retrieve detail, but the Utopia's effortlessness and its extension on both sides makes it superior (along with the fact it's open) . It seemed pretty flawless (i say this relatively , and related to its potential with all things in chain perfected and eq'ing.) I did not have the 480 beside so can't say how much better Utopia, but its not that much surprisingly, especially in mids/highs. Wish to own one one day. :D

Can't wait to battle these with 150s

Apr 30, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #41 of 62
Those Vesper pads do indeed look tempting. Go for it. Luckily they can customize pads if needed. I would like to have those pads with outer and face side made from leather for good seal. Inner side would be made from more breathable material to reduce reflections. I think i´m going to get another pair for my DT 48 E as well. E version oval earpads are same length as DT 100/150 pads. Original shallow pads that came with DT 480 are getting harder the more i use them. They don´t seal that well until they get warm enough.

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #42 of 62
I have 0 complaints with 150 pads broken in. They seal 100% for me. Suction effect. Maybe my headshape is weird but i find them super comfortable. Lambskin would be nice.

I've spent a good time comparing the 480 to mid-fi trio, and its no contest. They sound "off" when going from 480 to them. And its not a little off. The past 3 mid-fi Kings are legendary and still great corrected to the individual's preferences, don't get me wrong. The 480 driver just shows what can be improved on it. That in itself shows how powerful a tool this thing is for the endgame search.

I wish i stocked up on dt48s when they were cheaper. I honestly believe, there is no in between from these 480 and whatever 'endgame' i get. I hope its the r10 :D

Interested in open dt48. In a way the 480 is "open" compared to the air tight dt48. Like this dude opened them up.

1184676.jpg

I always thought the dt48 crowd had a few screws missing. Now, I have great appreciation for all that info they have shared.

Right now the 480 w/ 150 pads, 150 cable. dt100 headband = 9.5/10

Beyerdynamic_101060_DT48A_00_Audiometric_Headphones_313912.jpg

Beautiful. I would not mind a 480 with red, and blue cups. It is doable.

index.jpg
]]

mo_money_gold_dt100_studio_headphones_by_dj_jfunk-d57jprx.jpg

I can't help but wonder about the possibilities of decent paint job :D

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #43 of 62
dt480.jpg
dt4802.jpg

dt100.480.jpg

dt100.480.jpg2.jpg

480.jpg

1002.jpg

I opened them up and put a little cotton inside, + dt100 foam pad along with the d150 which has its foam centre attached. So will listen and see, i don't expect much change.

I will say it was the FIRST TIME i saw those dt48 drivers and GOOD LAWD, they is a beauty.

As for the 'decorations' just electrical tape for future paint job perhaps. It sure pops on the black. R/L indicators ofc, not that we need them :D

***UPDATE LISTENING IMPRESSIONS*** cotton mod
It seems to thin out the sound a bit, which I am assuming is from both the cotton and the dt100 foam pad. It does allow for more bass info to pass through from its mid-bass reduction. I also EQ'd the 100 and below gradually to 20hz with APO EQ. This slight thiness allowed for easier listening with jazz type but at same time some of the mid bass bloom (relative) is lost.Also the electrical tape border seals the baffle and cup moreso, whether needed or not i dont know as it is tight as it is, but no air is escaping that is for sure with the tape, and pad seal.

Will update when dynamated and sorbathaned up, and see if better than cotton mod. :)

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #44 of 62
Forgive my dt480 enthusiasm, but these have been getting most head-time past week, and i've been tinkering. Just throwing one that worked for the "plus" rather than "negative" direction

I got the idea from 770.80 bass reflex design ; though ofc mine is elementary and amateurish at this point, but i see some potential.

Basically foam disc with two "mechanic's work towel" covering both sides, and filled with cotton, and cotton inside cup in order to trick the driver into thinking its got bigger space inside.
Also was hoping to even out peaks in the mids/highs, though i am not complaining of sibilant behaviour, rather all my efforts are to extract balance in hopes of squeezing all the lower bass info i can get. Ofc no amount of work will make these slam like a bass cannon. I am trying to get it to dt660;ish (mkIV) level bass which I am a big fan of.

dt4801.jpg
dt4802.jpg
dt4803.jpg
dt4804.jpg
dt4805.jpg
dt4806.jpg
dt4807.jpg
dt4808.jpg

I have confidence with a more "refined" bass reflex type system. More precise parts cut out, + possible mass loading and vibrational dampening via the dynamat xtreme and sorbathe i am waiting for in the mail, I will be close to my desired signature, and eliminating any mechanical noise in the subbass frequencies without EQ'ing them out. Hey dream big right.

So far (maybe psychological) I have been getting some of the desired effects; that being signature tilting towards more balance, and spaciousness. Though these are relative to the cotton mod only, and stock. And benefits are small, but from what i hear, there.

I think i have dt48 fever like some members who loved these to the point of obession. They spoke of custom enclosures and what not.

Anyway, hope to hear any new revelations on this magical can. :D

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #45 of 62
I got my second pair of these in 200 ohm. I regret selling my first pair without looking into recabling. Anyway, these ones seem to sound a little better than the first pair I had after resoldering all cable connections. But this pair has an insanely weird issue in the left cup. There is a looseness in the baffle.. but yet the driver seems solidly mounted. Has anyone seen this before? I can tap on the baffle and there is a plasticky click/clunk like something is loose . I see nothing moving on the driver. Mounting the baffle back into the shell and tightening the two screws does nothing. I can still tap the outside of the cup and hear the baffle rattle. I don't think it's in the driver as it has a plasticky somewhat hollow clunk sound when I tap it. I need to open it up again to try to figure out the problem. I've no doubt it is coloring the sound through vibration feedback..I mean how would it not? The driver seems to operate and sound perfectly. Any ideas? I wonder if the baffle is two pieces glued together and they somehow became loose.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back