The Beyerdynamic DT 480 discussion thread (impressions, mods etc.)
Jan 18, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #16 of 62
SWAPPED WIRE .....
/////////////////////////////////

//....................................... IT WORKS!!! dt480 (200ohm'r) Magik Babieee

ComplexFlawedGermanspitz-max-1mb.gif

the dopest of the dope

@kman1211 props for letting me know about these

this is BEAST :D

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #17 of 62
Good to hear that. I had once to solder a wire because i accidentally ripped it off after modding. Be careful. Now enjoy the DT 480 magic and wonder how can 80 years old driver technology do several things better than many modern drivers. It´s just amazing. Although there is still some sub-bass roll-off. And DT 480 doesn´t seem to have that typical Beyer treble peak. Just put deeper earpads (DT 100/150 for example) and some damping felt on front without covering front grill and you are good to go.

Just to inform everyone to use this to contact Beyerdynamic: https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/company/contact/contact-form/

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #18 of 62
Good to hear that. I had once to solder a wire because i accidentally ripped it off after modding. Be careful. Now enjoy the DT 480 magic and wonder how can 80 years old driver technology do several things better than many modern drivers. It´s just amazing. Although there is still some sub-bass roll-off. And DT 480 doesn´t seem to have that typical Beyer treble peak. Just put deeper earpads (DT 100/150 for example) and some damping felt on front without covering front grill and you are good to go.

Just to inform everyone to use this to contact Beyerdynamic: https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/company/contact/contact-form/

I was able to get the seal with the dt100 pads, but i would imagine the dt150 pads would be even better. They broke in quite well on my dt100, which i just swapped pads with. SO the vinyl pads are on the dt100 (which will obv see less use now with these babies :D).

I will defo add the 150 down the line to have the trio. Le 3 BeyeR TANKS. :)

Jan 24, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #19 of 62
You can also try pad-stacking. Just carefully stretch original DT 480 pads over DT 100 pads and tape them together tightly. You will obviously get more depth for ears but it does make midrange somewhat laidback. Do experiment to see if you like it.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #20 of 62
Yes i have tried the stacked pads mod you guys did, and it was mighty comfortable. The laid back treble, and bass improvement was noted, but i did not like the feel of the vinyl pads on skin vs the dt100 pads. I will get the dt150 pads when these dt100 pads wear out. Also the voices of Maria Callas and Roy Orbison was more to my liking unstacked vs stacked. in saying that, hip hop/electronic seemed a tad better stacked. So i need to try some EQ'ing on these as the dt48 crowd truly belivees in these aluminum driver with corrections as Alien-Fi level capabilities.

However, the housing differences in dt48/dt480 are obvious, and there doesn't seem to be many owners of the dt480 on here on head-fi, so it will probably be left to trial and error corrections.

Do you have any correction numbers you can share? thx :D

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #21 of 62
With stacked pads DT 480 does admirable subb-bass considering that active diaphraghm diameter is less than 40 mm. More importantly bass doesnt leak with glasses. I have never got good sub-bass extension with DT 48. I encourage you DT 480 owners to post Youtube links to songs that you think it sounds good. I posted mine on first page.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #22 of 62
With stacked pads DT 480 does admirable subb-bass considering that active diaphraghm diameter is less than 40 mm. More importantly bass doesnt leak with glasses. I have never got good sub-bass extension with DT 48. I encourage you DT 480 owners to post Youtube links to songs that you it sounds good. I posted mine on first page.
seems the # of owners is probably like 5 lol. I dont think they made these for many years unlike the dt100.
for me vocal + acoustic guitar like Jewel work good

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #23 of 62
Got a hold of another DT 480, this time an 8 ohm. Already did some modding, it sounds better than my 25 ohm pair making it the best sounding headphone I've owned. Stacked the DT 480 pads from my other DT 480 with this one and added some felt cutouts in a double layer, with a bit of foam from a K612 foam ring over the square opening. Excellent sub-bass extension, notably better soundstage size, and helps control that resonance and unevenness the headphone can have in stock form.

D76AF707-14FD-4B4B-A5C3-C4F3D518C414.jpeg 898400ED-7853-4978-BB0C-A7C8475781BC.jpeg BBFDF07A-E673-4480-AEFB-F1E2BCBE33DC.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #24 of 62
Got a hold of another DT 480, this time an 8 ohm. Already did some modding, it sounds better than my 25 ohm pair making it the best sounding headphone I've owned. Stacked the DT 480 pads from my other DT 480 with this one and added some felt cutouts in a double layer, with a bit of foam from a K612 foam ring over the square opening. Excellent sub-bass extension, notably better soundstage size, and helps control that resonance and unevenness the headphone can have in stock form.

Didnt know there was a 8'ohmer. So i guess you need the 200'ohmer now. :D Still enjoying mine. Though strangely amazing for certain genres, this is a podcast beast as well. Crystal Clear Voices. The realism is spooky. :D

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #25 of 62
Didnt know there was a 8'ohmer. So i guess you need the 200'ohmer now. :D Still enjoying mine. Though strangely amazing for certain genres, this is a podcast beast as well. Crystal Clear Voices. The realism is spooky. :D

I didn't either, I thought I was getting a 200 Ohm, came in and it was a 8 ohm. I had a 200 ohm in the past but gave it to a friend so don't have it anymore. It is strangely amazing for certain genres, I have managed to make them good for all genres, takes some tinkering with dampening and pads to get them there. But the crystal clarity and the details you can't hear in other headphones is amazing. The vocals are just freakish on these, it's like other headphones smudge them and other headphones tend to sound a bit bloated and don't have the same sense of real body and dynamics as these. Also I found with video games these things are freaky it makes sense of things with ease that may sound blended together on other headphones, especially when there is multiple tracks being played at once going on which can happen a lot with games. Using a DT 150 cable on this so a new cable, the old cables hold these things back.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #26 of 62
Beyer did produce 8 ohm DT 48 drivers so it makes sense make 480 drivers with same resistance.

Modding suggestions:
1) One mod DT 480 may benefit is vibration damping. Driver capsule is quite sturdy, but it is glued tightly on baffle plate so it can transfer vibrations to the rest of the headphone. I´m using 70D (durometer) sorbothane pieces. For example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sorbothane...late+IT+Sorbothane+Vibration+Isolation+Washer These can be placed against rear of the magnet and when cups are closed they get compressed so they damp even more (constrained layer damping). I have several little blocks on driver baffle plate and on earcup innerside and on the magnet. It seems to increase clarity and bass control.

2) Another mod is applying enABL pattern blocks on baffle surfaces https://positive-feedback.com/Issue21/standingwaves.htm and https://patents.google.com/patent/US5304746?oq=5,304,746 This pattern breaks standing waves on diaphragm and baffle surfaces. Subjectively this mod makes sound more effortless, less fatiquing and increases resolution. if i remember it correctly, the goal is to have 18 block pairs circumfering the surface. I just glued 2mm x 2mm paper squares on the baffle. Front grill circumference was too small for me to work, so i settled on simpler "zig-zag" pattern.

20171019_221824.jpg

Mar 6, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #27 of 62
Using a DT 150 cable on this so a new cable, the old cables hold these things back.

I've both stereo and mono cables for [100.16]/[480.200]. Mono works superbly for acapellas/podcast listening. I wonder how many dt100/150/480 have experienced the mono experience.
Obv music is different experience mono vs stereo (unless recorded in mono). Anyway, not going to be everyone's cup of tea. But having both cables makes them two in one headphones, and i don't need to explain how easy they swap :D. 150 pads on the way :)

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #29 of 62
I've both stereo and mono cables for [100.16]/[480.200]. Mono works superbly for acapellas/podcast listening. I wonder how many dt100/150/480 have experienced the mono experience.
Obv music is different experience mono vs stereo (unless recorded in mono). Anyway, not going to be everyone's cup of tea. But having both cables makes them two in one headphones, and i don't need to explain how easy they swap :D. 150 pads on the way :)

My 25 Ohm actually came with a mono cable, so I have a mono cable as well. I actually like listening to mono at times. I think I am going to go with brainwavz hm5 angled pads for my 8 ohm pair so I can make them comfortable and I'm already doing a bit of angle with my current pad setup for comfort reasons, may have to tinker a bit with my dampening on the new pads but I can make it work, I think I got the internal dampening exactly where I want, now is to get comfortable pads and adjust the external dampening according to the pads. I'll do something else with my 25 ohm pair. The 8 Ohm is sounding better so far so I plan on making it my main headphone, but good comfort is essential. It's impressive how good the 8 ohm sounds straight from my iphone 7.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #30 of 62
My 25 Ohm actually came with a mono cable, so I have a mono cable as well. I actually like listening to mono at times. I think I am going to go with brainwavz hm5 angled pads for my 8 ohm pair so I can make them comfortable and I'm already doing a bit of angle with my current pad setup for comfort reasons, may have to tinker a bit with my dampening on the new pads but I can make it work, I think I got the internal dampening exactly where I want, now is to get comfortable pads and adjust the external dampening according to the pads. I'll do something else with my 25 ohm pair. The 8 Ohm is sounding better so far so I plan on making it my main headphone, but good comfort is essential. It's impressive how good the 8 ohm sounds straight from my iphone 7.

The first time i got my mono cable was with the dt100. I used them for audio lectures and such, then i realized it can be used for acapellas. With music listening it was strange at first, as the left channel is more dominant, though both channels play on both ears simultaneously. When i did left/right check on the mono cable, both ears play both channels as mono should, but when it said "right channel" "right channel" it was at 1/3 volume of the "left channel left channel" check. I believe vocals are usually on left channel (correct me if i'm wrong). Does this happen to you when doing balance checks with mono cable?
Since vocals come equally as powerful on both ears, and the instrumentals are at 33% o volume, it brings the voices super forward, so its definitely workable for vocal analysis type work ( whether professional or hobby). Its great for old recordings which are full of hiss, since the dt480/100/150 cleans it up. I don't know how these have such black backgrounds.

I tried hm5 sheeps but didn't like the feel vs dt100. I'm sure the 150 pads will be perfect,

True workhorses, I think you can use these for space travel as they can survive radiation.

They're ugly/beautiful like a Humvee
military-humvee-hummer-hmmwv-beige-army-vehicle-40652791.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back