The Beta 22 Thread
Aug 4, 2007 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 100

Rise To The Top

1000+ Head-Fier
I though such a great amp deserves its own thread, so I made one.

This thread is intened for general discussion of the Beta 22 amp, variations of the Beta 22, pics of your Beta 22, etc.

I'll start with what I have to say about the B22. Even though I dont have one yet, I cant wait till I have one! Currently, my builder (good friend of mine) has offered to build me a B22 balanced with an Opus DAC for parts and shipping, no labor! But obviously I am going to give her a little some for her work.

Aug 4, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 100
Agreed, this amp deserves its own threat
600smile.gif
Here are some eyes candy:

Afbeelding292.jpg

Afbeelding218-2.jpg

Afbeelding295.jpg

RIMG0110.jpg

This is the 3-channel β22 I am currently listening to, the balanced version is under the iron
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 100
Nice work, very clean wiring, is that the ATI case? I especially like the S22 power supply. You should make them the same color, though.

balanced Beta22 with the OPUS DAC should be real nice, if you can get rid of the high frequency noise. Just keep the transformers far away. and it is a she? that's super cool!

Aug 4, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 100
I think the high frequency noise that was present in my opus was because of a combination of a wood case possibly the transformer. Won't know until I work on it, though.

Aug 4, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the high frequency noise that was present in my opus was because of a combination of a wood case possibly the transformer. Won't know until I work on it, though.

yeah, can't wait to hear the finished version of the OPUS DAC. it was weird, because there was a huge amount of hum in single-ended mode, but in balanced mode all that hum was gone. so balanced hum cancellation is not a myth! i could not hear the high-frequency stuff that you said was still present, but i wonder what must have caused it. it could be the transformer, but usually transformer hum is lower in frequency. maybe you can try some ERS paper?

Aug 4, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 100
Quote:

I am thinking it was caused due to not having a proper metal case; I'll test it out later when I get back to working on it
tongue.gif

aww that wood case you were using was sexy, you should keep it.

Aug 4, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 100
That case wasn't sexy at all, I would call it ghetto at best
tongue.gif
I've been planning on modding a standard case to be wood-ified....I hope that one will be worthy of being called sexy
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 100
How is this amp (three channel single ended version) compared to LISA III? If beta 22 is a better choice, I need someone to build it for me. Which builder do you recommend?

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 100
LISA III is a portable amp, completely different. the Beta22 is a desktop amp.

Quote:

That case wasn't sexy at all, I would call it ghetto at best
tongue.gif
I've been planning on modding a standard case to be wood-ified....I hope that one will be worthy of being called sexy
smily_headphones1.gif

What about... using those big stickers that are made to look like wood?

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #12 of 100
Here's a couple of pictures of my single-ended beta22, it now resides with another head-fier.

78246720.jpg

78246734.jpg

80785248.jpg

Here's a picture of my 6-channel balanced beta22 (in progress)

82355997.jpg

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #13 of 100
Nugget Audio? LAWL... well I like the pic with the blue LEDs, looks surreal. looks very clean and pro. I think you'll notice quite an improvement of the balanced Beta22 over the 2-channel (i never heard the 3-channel one). why 6-channel and not 5-channel? 5-channel makes more sense, you'll have all 2, 3, 4 channel versions for comparisons. why are you using those tiny heatsinks, though? big custom heatsinks and deep class A bias are the way to go.

also... give each board their own S22...

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #14 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nugget Audio? LAWL...

A joke between me and my older brother, its certainly not a company your likely to see any time soon.
Quote:

well I like the pic with the blue LEDs, looks surreal. looks very clean and pro.

Thanks, a lot of time and effort was put into that am and I think it shows.
Quote:

I think you'll notice quite an improvement of the balanced Beta22 over the 2-channel (i never heard the 3-channel one).

I sure hope so, the increase in investment was not small.
Quote:

why 6-channel and not 5-channel? 5-channel makes more sense, you'll have all 2, 3, 4 channel versions for comparisons.

I'm a sucker for symmetry. 90% of the time the amp will be running 4 channels balanced, the other times it'll be running 3 channel single ended but since I was already going to go 5 boards I decided to just do six and be done with it. It'll look better on the two e22 back plane boards that way as well.
Quote:

why are you using those tiny heatsinks, though? big custom heatsinks and deep class A bias are the way to go.

As far as I understand it even in the stock configuration with the "tiny" heatsinks the amp is way into class A. I see no reason to burn more heat just for the sake of being able to say that it goes deeper into class A.
Quote:

also... give each board their own S22...

Can't say I'm going to even entertain this. I'll be running two, which should be more than enough power considering that this amp probably won't be asked to drive speakers. If I ever do go that route I'll consider recasing the whole thing with beefier power supplies and heatsinks. For the headphone use that its facing I feel very comfortable about this configuration.

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #15 of 100
Darn you Nate! For getting that kit
frown.gif
For that box for the transformer in your old beta22, did you make it yourself or pick up a premade metal box? I'm considering of doing the same for my DAC since the space is likely to be tight, and I want to section off the transformer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back