The best vibration damping board.
Dec 31, 2007 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Genetic

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello all,

I'm thinking about making my own vibration damping board. I'm wondering about the best kind of material one could choose to do it.

1) Acrilic? (the price is quite high since 12X12X2 (unfinished and uncut) is around $85.)
2) Granit? (or any other natural stone)
3) Wood? (here the list could realy go forever. Any particular one?)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Amicalement

Dec 31, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 34
By damping board do you mean a kind of isolation platform? What will it be used for?

Dec 31, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By damping board do you mean a kind of isolation platform? What will it be used for?

You are correct Sir.

I just want to isolate an amp and a dac. Under the platform I plan to use these brass cones we see everywhere.

Amicalement

Dec 31, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all,

I'm thinking about making my own vibration damping board. I'm wondering about the best kind of material one could choose to do it.

1) Acrilic? (the price is quite high since 12X12X2 (unfinished and uncut) is around $85.)
2) Granit? (or any other natural stone)
3) Wood? (here the list could realy go forever. Any particular one?)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Amicalement

3/4" to 1.5" MDF & Vibrapods.

Dec 31, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 34
Thanks for the answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(....) & Vibrapods.

Golden Sound

I've got a few of their super ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

3/4" to 1.5" MDF (...)

I dont like the look of MDF alone so it would be used with a nice veneer. Not sure if the use of veneer will be a plus or a minus in this case.

Amicalement

Dec 31, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 34
Acrylic will work, as will Granite. Maple is the most common wood for dampening due to it's ability to absorb vibrations.

There's also "stands" out there for amps/DAC's.

This is the stand I just bought:

Lovan L-SOV-S-XX, L-SOV-XXXX - Sovereign HIFI Audio Rack Single Shelf

Since I needed something at least 18x18x1 (at least), this was the best route. Includes a nice vibration/isolation platform as well.

I would check out this place if you want a pre-made audio stand.

Audio Rack Accessories - Racks, Entertainment Centers, TV Stands

Good luck...

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Acrylic will work, as will Granite. Maple is the most common wood for dampening due to it's ability to absorb vibrations.

Good luck...

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Hello Nick,

Since all of these electronics are pretty small (the Ack Dac is not a giant) I realy need to make it myself on a micro scale.

Granite is so good looking.

Thanks and I promise I'll send you pictures...
wink.gif

Amicalement

Dany

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #8 of 34
18x18 Granite tiles can be found for reasonable prices. Problem is the shipping is hefty due to the weight and necessity of a small pallet, and the sides come unfinished. If you can handle the negatives they make a decently priced tweak and your gear doesn't have to sit on maple chopping blocks
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
18x18 Granite tiles can be found for reasonable prices. Problem is the shipping is hefty due to the weight and necessity of a small pallet, and the sides come unfinished. If you can handle the negatives they make a decently priced tweak and your gear doesn't have to sit on maple chopping blocks
wink.gif

You can also pick up Granite from flooring places, Home Depot/Lowes, etc. There's MANY places locally (I'm sure) that can/will sell you what you need. No need to pay for shipping..
smily_headphones1.gif

-Nick

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 34
I just order this rack and it has spikes for the base and each shelf.

0000004386-20070321.jpg

These racks are out of production and you can still fine some at very discounted prices here, maybe not Rosewood, they said my order was the last one they had:

Metal Frame/Wood Shelves-Audio Advisor

If I ever get a TT I will go down to the local store and pick up a slab of granite and put in on top using some additional cones that I just picked up that are Blue Circle Isolation Cones.

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

You can also pick up Granite from flooring places, Home Depot/Lowes, etc. There's MANY places locally (I'm sure) that can/will sell you what you need. No need to pay for shipping..
smily_headphones1.gif

You're quite right. Unfortunately, the Depot didn't have any large/thick slabs though and the special order was a minimum of $500 IIRC. You'd probably have to hit a specialty retailer and hope that they have some extra tiles left over from a job.

That Atlantis looks like quite a bargain.

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

You're quite right. Unfortunately, the Depot didn't have any large/thick slabs though and the special order was a minimum of $500 IIRC. You'd probably have to hit a specialty retailer and hope that they have some extra tiles left over from a job.

That Atlantis looks like quite a bargain.

I have a wood working center near me that can do very nice heavy slabs of wood of various types. I picked up a small piece of granite from somewhere local, maybe it was that wood working center. Yea, that was where it was. I also got some pen blanks. These are the blanks that are used to make wood bodied ink pens on a woodworking lathe. These are 3/4 sq by 5 inches long. I got 10 pieces of rosewood (just checked it was bloodwood, very red) blanks for about 18$ US. I am using these two on top of each other with some blu-tak between them as isolation for some equipment. Doing this it takes four blanks, two for the front and two for the back.

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a wood working center near me that can do very nice heavy slabs of wood of various types. I picked up a small piece of granite from somewhere local, maybe it was that wood working center. Yea, that was where it was. I also got some pen blanks. These are the blanks that are used to make wood bodied ink pens on a woodworking lathe. These are 3/4 sq by 5 inches long. I got 10 pieces of rosewood (just checked it was bloodwood, very red) blanks for about 18$ US. I am using these two on top of each other with some blu-tak between them as isolation for some equipment. Doing this it takes four blanks, two for the front and two for the back.

Sound's unstable...

You're holding up a 20-30+ lb amp/CDP etc. by four pen blanks?

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

You're quite right. Unfortunately, the Depot didn't have any large/thick slabs though and the special order was a minimum of $500 IIRC. You'd probably have to hit a specialty retailer....(...)

You are all very nice to point the bargain direction but I'm prepared to bite the bullet and spend a little (in fact a lot more since I just spent few hundreds on cones alone ) more than floor tiles.

2" thick acrilic is already leading the race but with the $85 square foot asking price I just want to know if the 2" Granit slab would offer the same acoustic damping performance....
confused.gif

Acrilic with all black electros will look good but granit (and the multitudes of shades/colors) can be a little more spectacular.....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Sound's unstable...

You're holding up a 20-30+ lb amp/CDP etc. by four pen blanks?

Not unstable actually and my load is about 25 lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back