The best speaker cables I have ever heard *** photos ***
Sep 11, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
Thick solid core cable is the absolute worst possible choice. I have tried it in ALL gauges and configurations. It smears the bass, and SERIOUSLY rolls off the highs. This is very easy to measure. ANY solid core larger than 18ga will rolll off the highs ... FACT.

Interesting, I used to use solid core mains cable back in the 1980s (it was the tweak de jour) but I gave up on this as it was just a massive PITA to work with. Do you have any FR measurements on this vs stranded, you could post them in the science forum so this thread does not go too far OT - cheers.

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #17 of 31

Quote:
Interesting, I used to use solid core mains cable back in the 1980s (it was the tweak de jour) but I gave up on this as it was just a massive PITA to work with. Do you have any FR measurements on this vs stranded, you could post them in the science forum so this thread does not go too far OT - cheers.

Any and all measurements I have done in my 25 yrs in audio, were done for personal knowledge, and not as a scientist with a reason or need to record or publish my findings. So I do not have recorded data available. However if you search the different audio forums, you will find MANY people who have measured and found this to be the case. it is not due to solid core though ,,, It is due to the size of the conductor. Many, many knowledgable high fi gurus use extremely small gauge wires for speaker wire and interconnects, because of the extended frequency response, and cleaner sound.

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #18 of 31
Here is just one article I found with me very first search on Google ....  Take a quick look at what he finds when comparing speaker wire gauges, as well as interconnect gauge ...

http://www.laventure.net/tourist/cables.htm

You can find a lot of articles where people have measured larger speaker cables rolling off high frequencies.

Sep 11, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #19 of 31
Something else to consider ... I have found that foils need to be equivalent to a heavier gauge than does standard round wire, or it will sound thin. And I have found foils to be considerably more sensitive to metal purity than standard wire.

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #20 of 31

Quote:
Thick solid core cable is the absolute worst possible choice. I have tried it in ALL gauges and configurations. It smears the bass, and SERIOUSLY rolls off the highs. This is very easy to measure. ANY solid core larger than 18ga will rolll off the highs ... FACT.

Another hifi legend. Heavy gauge single solid core cleans up the sound and improves dynamics drasticly by reduzing resistanse. Another legend is telling that sound only travels at the outside of the conductors, skin-effekt at audiofrequensies is another misleading legend.
  If you`ve ever looked into a rather heavy poweramp you might have notived that the powercaps and the output-transistors are connected by rather heavy wiring or mybe huge massive copper. Ever thought of why it`s done like this? The speakercables should be of the same caliber, and as short as possible. Put your money in monoblocks, not cables.

This little toy might be an eye-opener:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/audio/Java/twin.html

edit: Now if anyone runs to try out thick* sc copper (*begins at 9awg) in their system they might be dissapointet at first. Why? The copper needs an hour of heavy massage before it opens up. After that you can pull your speakers a bit more out on the floor to compensate for the improved bass-dynamics.

btw; I`m a heavy duty audiophile speakerdesigner and has offcourse done meashurements on this way back.

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #21 of 31

Quote:
       Another hifi legend. Heavy gauge single solid core cleans up the sound and improves dynamics drasticly by reduzing resistanse. Another legend is telling that sound only travels at the outside of the conductors, skin-effekt at audiofrequensies is another misleading legend.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Resistance is only one factor in cable design. It's good to stay within a minimum of 12 AWG total (15 AWG per leg) for a full range speaker, or you start running in to problems like restricted bass response. This should be achieved with multiple runs of much smaller conductors though. Further improvements can be made with a larger cable (to a point), but there really isn't a need to go larger than 8 AWG total.

Using one big fat copper wire for + and - is about the worst way possible to build a speaker cable. NO high-end cable company does it that way. Not one, and for good reason.

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #22 of 31
Since I used to own a repair dept in my store which had oscillocscope, RTA, etc, etc .....  I have done the testing, done the measurements, and clearly could see the frequencies rolling off .... Not audiophile fiction, but fact.

Want a true piece of fiction ???   Large gauge wires DO NOT offer more bass, only perceived bass due to mid-bass bloat.  Want tighter, faster, cleaner bass ?   Go with 18 ga and enjoy the improvement in bass quality.

I'm through with the debate though, as I have already covered this testing about 15 yrs ago.

Cheers 

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:
Since I used to own a repair dept in my store which had oscillocscope, RTA, etc, etc .....  I have done the testing, done the measurements, and clearly could see the frequencies rolling off .... Not audiophile fiction, but fact.

But at what point and by how much ?

The last two set of tests I saw showed FR pretty flat on all but really exotic designs up to 50K or 100K - in general 10 foot of 12 gauge stranded wire is less than 0.1dB down at 20kHz  into 4ohms- a roll off above 20K is not a big deal but below 15K it would be

Oct 8, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #24 of 31
Cool stuff !   Here is the body of an email I just received from a guy who bought a pair of my foil speaker cables ... I just love hearing stuff like this !  He has a VERY nice reference system, and compared my cables to his Crystal Cable Dreamline series !  The Crystals he has are a VERY expensive pair of speaker cables too.

"[size=medium][size=11pt] Hi Josh,

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you – had to do some traveling and was in the midst of a couple moves in the system.  Comparable system to System (PP and SET tube amps) it was interesting.  Your Foils seem to have a better leading edge dynamic and were a bit warmer – in the sense that they seemed to bring everything down a quarter octave toward the sweet spot.  I would not say the Crystals are light in the bass, but the foils offered a bit fuller bottom end. "[/size][/size]

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #26 of 31
 Hi I'm responding to your add about buying your remaining stock of flat wire. Please email me about length and price and would gladly give a review  of them after built. Thanks, Americo

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #28 of 31

Quote:
WOW ! Unique Cable.

Thank you.  I am about to make some speaker cables from 97/3  silver/gold foil 
wink_face.gif
    I figure it should look as good as it sounds LOL ...

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #29 of 31
I need help choosing some speaker cables, for material should i go for copper , tinned copper , silver plated copper , also more or less strands 7 , 13 or 42 , due to the speakers speaker wire slots i am limted to a 1.5mm2 conductor size.

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #30 of 31
Hail, hail .... Even better speaker cables now exist !   I decided to make an upgraded version of the original foils.  These are 11 ga 8N copper foils that are .007 thick by 2" wide, and still use the Teflon adhesive tape for construction.  This pair happens to have pure copper spades on them.  Cheers !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back