the best sounding live albums you know
Feb 12, 2009 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all. while writing this i am listening to neil young and crazy horse live album called "weld",and the sound is just spectacular! they got two electric guitars+drums and bass, and the guitars has only distortion effect that is always on through the whole concert. in some parts of the album the distortion sound like the amps is burning and exploding! thats a real rock and roll fellows! one of the best live albums i've heard in meaning of sound.

the other great sounding live album i can think at the moment is pink floyd's "the delicate sound of thunder". except that its an amazing concert, it's sounds just like a studio album. great performences.

there are a lot of great live albums i am sure,but cant think of right now.
i would like to hear what you guys have to say about the subject,what are your best live album, and it doesn't have to be only in meaning of sound(although the title says so). it's always welcome to hear about good live albums generally.

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 111
Some of my faves:

Pink Floyd Pulse
Peter Gabriel Secret World Live
Matthew Good Live at Massey Hall
Dido Live at Brixton Academy
Lucinda Williams Live @ the Fillmore
Muse HAARP
The Waifs A Brief History
Queens of the Stone Age Over the Years and Through the Woods

For sound quality and/or content. I love live recordings. I have lots of them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 111
I don't really like live albums. I prefer the actual event, however, I'd add

Eric Clapton - Unplugged
Harry Belafonte - At Carnegie Hall
Erykah Baddu - Live (I actually saw this concert - no comparison)
Steely Dan - Alive in America
Patricia Barber - Live: A Fortnight in France

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 111
there are some really nice albums here...and i would like to say that i too prefer studio albums,but there are some really great sounding live albums, like the one i mentioned in the begining of this thread,that turned me on to start a thread on this subject and share all of our thought on this.
thx for the replies.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 111
No hesitation here, Unplugged in New York by Nirvana tracks off of the DVD rip are amazing.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No hesitation here, Unplugged in New York by Nirvana tracks off of the DVD rip are amazing.

one of the greatest indeed.

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 111
Alison Krauss + Union Station Live

All other live recording should be judged based off of it.
wink_face.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #12 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A classic: Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus

That's the first one that came to mind for me too. I'm not so sure about the sound quality (pretty good I guess) but it's just an amazing album. Not all one concert. They did a pick and choose kind of thing, but you would never know that when listening to it.

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #13 of 111
An amazing live album I'd recommend to anyone with any interest in Brit Pop or The Clash or such acts, is

The Babyshambles - Oh! What a Lovely Tour

The physical version of the release contains both a live DVD and a live CD from the same performance, both with really good sonic quality.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #14 of 111
Portishead - Live at Roseland
Band of Gypsies - Live at Filmore East
Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

Three of my favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back