The Best Sounding Closed Phone For $200 And Below. Your Suggestion?
Mar 15, 2014 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dissembled

Headphoneus Supremus
Please do not give IEM suggestions as they don't conform to my ears for some reason.

I've been out of the loop for a while now. I haven't visited these forums in ages so I'm unsure what new phones are worthy enough for you audiophiles. 

I'm thinking of repurchasing the HD-25 II. I already own one but the right channel sometimes gives out, unfortunately. It did sound good with my DAPs though. Only downside is that it was not comfortable. I also own the Amperiors but I swear, the two phones were not identical sound-wise. Well, to my ears anyway.

I've also purchased the DT1350 already but quickly realized that phone does not fare well with most of the portable DAPs I own. They are simply too weak to power them. The only DAP I own that is able to power them is the HM-601 but that, unfortunately, has a battery that's dying.

I also own the Vmoda M80s already but to be honest, I prefer the Amperiors over them.

I listen to alternative and indie music. My favorite artists/bands include: Okkervil River, Nick Drake, Radiohead, Arcade Fire and Bright Eyes.

So, should I purchase the HD25-II again or are there other new and notable phones that best them? My prerequisite is that it must pair well with DAPs.

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 2
Have a look at the Mikros 90 by Martin Logan. They've been discontinued and are going for a fraction of their MSRP.

Perhaps you could also get the HD25 repaired... But the MLs are some nice phones. They clamp quite tight, but can be adjusted a bit and stretched out. I actually find them very comfortable now.

They sound great out of an iPad and apparently they scale very well with higher-end gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back