The best portables you ever owned...
Jan 11, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #16 of 30
LOL.. it wasn't the *only* MP3 player at the time. There were already a couple of flash memory based MP3 players out. The only problem was, most of them were $200 for 32MB or something. It was ridiculous.

So the Genica player was the only sensible solution at the time, it was the first CD based MP3 player.

Jan 12, 2004 at 10:29 AM Post #17 of 30
My favourite portable has to be the iPod, I've never enjoyed listening to music as much with another portable. My entire music collection at my fingertips in a device smaller than a PCDP and no need to carry around any added accessories. I also love the GUI and it's a joy to use - and the 30mW + 30mW @ 32 Ohms output isn't too shabby either
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #18 of 30
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the D303
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
wink.gif

OK, D-303
biggrin.gif

Seriously, this is one great player. The D-311 was my other favorite.

Jan 12, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #20 of 30
(Prepares to be flamed!)

My MZ-R55. Aside from the poor battery life, I've never had a complaint. It's built like a tank, has a true line-out and does everything it is supposed to effortlessly. Oh and BTW, it sounds great!

Jan 13, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #21 of 30
The only decent portable media player I have is my MZ-S1, and quite honestly, it's not bad at all! It's indestructible and un-skippable, that's for sure.

Jan 13, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
wink.gif

OK, I'll mention the D-303. The Denon DCP-150 is still better tho
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #23 of 30
Transportable
1) Denon DCP-150 (dead batteries, no anti-skip, has to be kept on the desk connected to an ac adaptor, but nonetheless the best)

Portable
2) Sony D-465 (a truly portable vintage pcdp, it has decent anti-skip protection and actually uses aa batteries instead of freaky gumsticks)
3) 2 gen 10 gig iPod (dead, but was much loved. got me into the audio hobby...changed the way I listened to music)

Jan 13, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
OK, I'll mention the D-303. The Denon DCP-150 is still better tho
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

[size=medium]Hirsch, inquiring minds would like to know: did you ever do that review of the modded Mekanoplastik turbo Sony S25S vs the Denon DCP-150? If so, what were the results?

Excuse me if this was covered before, but I searched for this review ( ... in vain, apparently), as I have been thinking of doing this turbo mod myself
[/size]

Jan 13, 2004 at 8:03 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by l0rdza0n
i still have it somewhere.. maybe sometime ill brig it to one of those antique roadshows and some guy with a british accent will tell me

"Woa, behold! i have not seen one of these in a lifetime.. why it's the very first ever mp3 portable!"

tongue.gif

Definetly hold onto it...

I'm a guy with a British accent (ironically maybe
wink.gif
) and my interest in old school Discmen certainly brought them back to the fore, if only for a short while... You never know... one day, old school MP3 players could be the way to go
smily_headphones1.gif

...I'm half way back into the head-fi spirit of things... so... my updated review is on its way... slowly (put off by the fact that my home PC monitor is faulty
frown.gif
)

Jan 13, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #26 of 30
The best portable I have ever owned is the one I currently use. Panasonic CT570.
Decent battery life from AAA batteries, slim design, and great sound.
I also use an IRiver Slimx 350 that ranks almost equal with the CT570.
I do have rather limited experience with portable music.
I have an old Sony cassette player that I got around 1980, and I had a Sony CD player that would play forever on a pair of double A's. I also still have a Rio 250 that no longer works unless it's attached to the wall wart. I guess it wasn't a good idea to try the Slimx remote on the Rio player.
frown.gif

That is all the portables I have ever owned.

Jan 14, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Jap
Hirsch, inquiring minds would like to know: did you ever do that review of the modded Mekanoplastik turbo Sony S25S vs the Denon DCP-150? If so, what were the results?

There were some technical issues with the modded D-25s, so that a comparison of the one I heard with the Denon wouldn't be fair. I really don't know how a fully working turbo D-25s would compare.

Jan 14, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
There were some technical issues with the modded D-25s, so that a comparison of the one I heard with the Denon wouldn't be fair. I really don't know how a fully working turbo D-25s would compare.

[size=huge]That's a shame! I have seen a number of incredible responses by happy turbo members. It would be sweet to get near DCP-150 sound in such a tiny package. I'm going to have to clear out some time to get this mod done.
[/size]

Jan 14, 2004 at 8:16 AM Post #30 of 30
That must be my current setup.
Apple iPod 40GB, with the new Apple In-Ear Headphones!
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back