The Best Portable Headphone Amps
Aug 20, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #16 of 27
Since money is no object, the predator appears to be favored by the bass-heads and the pico for the flat-liners. When I listen to classical I'm in more of a flat-liner's mode.

Oh, another kudo to the mini3--it does a good job, is flat-line as well and is an easy build if you can do your own soldering.

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #17 of 27
HeadAmp - Audio Electronics

didnt they alleady releas this amp?

few things i need to know for sure:
there is allready DAC in my portable player,than do i need one also at the amp?
will it be a big change if i will have one with DAC or no?
on which one do you suggest?

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #18 of 27
You guys all forgetting the iqube!
If don't need DAC and money isn't an issue I don't think it can be beaten!
Stomps all over my predator IMHO!
Sorry just the way I see it!
Predator is a solid amp and I have ordered a pico so please don't accuse me of being biased or not being impartial!
Just feel the iqube does it all and it drives my k701 without a problem not to mention the phenomenal battery life!

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadAmp - Audio Electronics

didnt they alleady releas this amp? isnt it a DAC-AMP?
and how much it worth?

Yep, pre-order is a misnomer; I've had one for 6-7 months now and it is well into general production. Pico's a USB DAC and amp in a pretty small form-factor (not tiny as in a Xin SMIV micro). It takes a few months to get one as there is still a high demand and Justin's a one man shop. I think he's shipped around 500 to date (less no-pays and sporadic cancellations).

To me it is worth every penny.

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #20 of 27
the pico is indeed well along in production but waiting time is still roughly six months unless bag one second hand!
Still waiting on shipping for mine!
Gutted LOL!

Aug 20, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the pico is indeed well along in production but waiting time is still roughly six months unless bag one second hand!
Still waiting on shipping for mine!
Gutted LOL!

On 7/30 justin says there's a two months wait. When did you place your order?

per pre-order thread

Aug 20, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #22 of 27
This thread will answer your question.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/r...mpared-214588/
It depends really on how much money you want to expend and what you want the amplifier for. Portables are not as powerful as desktops.
If you use IEM's the amplifier may not add a whole lot to the sound.
If you use full size cans, a desktop amplifier would be better, unless you really need a portable. I ended up with one of each, but my UM2's don't really get a whole lot better with my Headsix. They are already pretty good.

Aug 24, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.........................................snip..... .........................

Even when at home (i.e. using the iBasso DAC) I use a portable amplifier (having tried out many over the past 18 months or so and not finding an iBasso D1 opamp configuration that'll match the following amps).
...............................snip............... ..................

Try using your iBasso with the OPA2111 in LR, AD797 for buffers and LT6234 for DAC

I think you will find the amplifier thus equipped to be the equal of any portable currently on the market.

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #26 of 27
way to resurrect a dead thread.

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #27 of 27
2008 was a great year, but so much has come down the pike since the last post in '08 - seriously redundant. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back