The BEST Over-Ear headphones under $60 USD
Apr 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

GermanShepherds

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for the BEST over ear headphones for under $60 USD. Any suggestions above or below that budget will be greatly appreciated. I can go a little above $60 and any help would be very nice. So, what are the best headphones with clear, loud music and that are very comfortable?

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 11
The usual suspects are:
Superlux hd668, hd681, Samson SR850, and other variations
Panasonic RP-HTF600
JVC RX700/RX900
Creative Aurvana Live, when they go on sale on Amazon
If you are a complete basshead, Sony XB500

My personal favorite is the ATH-T400, but of those I listed, I only own the JVC RX700 to compare.  In my opinion, the T400 is clearly superior to the RX700 (but more expensive) and is also under $60. However, I'm like the only person here who owns them.

They are also several other possibilities, but I'm trying to list those that seem to be most frequently recommended in your price level. If you can list musical preferences,and your priorities, people may be able to narrow down the options for you and suggest a few other choices.

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 11
On a dissenting note, I dislike those Panasonics more than I can express around here. If pleathor pads make you sweat, the cheap ones that come with this headphone are a misery to wear. 

I'd say get the CAL's but you might have to wait a good while for a sale at Amazon.  Their current $99 price tag is a bit much. 

I've heard a few more in this price range, but not many that I would recommend highly, or above those that Ubersanger has listed.  You might find a few more in this guide in the Budget category:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Apr 24, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 11
The usual suspects are:
Superlux hd668, hd681, Samson SR850, and other variations
Panasonic RP-HTF600
JVC RX700/RX900
Creative Aurvana Live, when they go on sale on Amazon
If you are a complete basshead, Sony XB500

My personal favorite is the ATH-T400, but of those I listed, I only own the JVC RX700 to compare.  In my opinion, the T400 is clearly superior to the RX700 (but more expensive) and is also under $60. However, I'm like the only person here who owns them.

They are also several other possibilities, but I'm trying to list those that seem to be most frequently recommended in your price level. If you can list musical preferences,and your priorities, people may be able to narrow down the options for you and suggest a few other choices.
Are the ATH-T400's comfortable?

Apr 24, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 11
I'm seeing some great reviews for the Samson SR850's. Does anyone own these and can put some input on them? The ATH-T400's also sound great, so it may be the one of these two. Does anyone have both of these and knows which are better?

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 11
I find the ATH-T400 to be very comfortable, but of course no headphone is universally comfortable for everyone. I think people with large heads have mentioned that the pads can start sliding up a little on the ears (from the tension of the auto adjustable headband). Unfortunately, I don't have the SR850 to compare. Amazon is usually pretty good about returns, though I don't know what their policy is on headphones, if you wanted to risk buying and then returning. I can say that the SR850 has been heard by a lot more people than the ATH-T400 and has generally been universally praised so it seems that while it not be the exact best for you (which is a very elusive target without the opportunity to listen to a huge amount of headphones), chances are you will still like it a lot.

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks, I may get the Samson SR850's. If I don't like them then I will definitely check out the ATH-T400's. Or maybe if I really get into headphones I'll eventually get both. So I'm looking at the Samson SR850's. If anyone has any last second suggestions, I'll look into them as well. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back