The Best of the Shoegazers
Nov 24, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #16 of 40
Very cool that DarkAngel listed Starflyer 59. They never get the respect they deserve especially for being 11 albums into their career. A consistently powerful pop rock force to deal with. Although if you are looking for more shoegazey material definitely go for their older material (like Gold as listed above) as their newer stuff, while still retaining shoegaze elements in instrumentation, veers more toward pop rock perfection.

Nov 24, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by silentperfection
Very cool that DarkAngel listed Starflyer 59. They never get the respect they deserve especially for being 11 albums into their career. A consistently powerful pop rock force to deal with. Although if you are looking for more shoegazey material definitely go for their older material (like Gold as listed above) as their newer stuff, while still retaining shoegaze elements in instrumentation, veers more toward pop rock perfection.

Yeah, that makes more sense now. I only have Everybody Makes Mistakes from about '99 and it doesn't strike me as shoegaze, more drone pop like Yo La Tengo and Lockgroove and some of those bands. Couple great songs like the fantastic opener "Play The C Chord", but a bunch not up to that same level. Reading this and checking at amazon, I see what you mean now. Guess I need to score some Gold
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Hey, speaking of Voyager One, has anyone actually ever heard that first Verve EP that inspired them? Just curious.

Huge fan of the Verve here. I'm not quite as well-schooled as the rest of you on the shoegazing scene, but I love Ride's "Nowhere," (thanks Bong... been meaning to PM you) and I also have Voyager One's first two albums (haven't been able to pick up the latest yet). If you haven't heard the Verve E.P., I'd definitely recommend getting it. I like it a lot more than their first real album, "A Storm in Heaven," as it's definitely more dreamy and ethereal.

Nov 25, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #19 of 40
I know a couple of these bands (love souvlaki)...
Can someone define "Shoegazer" for me in their words?
(no Wikipedia definitions!)
Would like to hear how you guys view the genre; I really know nothing about it.

Nov 25, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by silentperfection

Yes only first three SF 59 albums are in the shoegaze style:
-Silver
-Gold
-Red (aka Americana)

Then group went offf in other alt rock directions

Nov 25, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Sometimes I like Voyager One better too. Just depends on my mood. ....Hey, speaking of Voyager One, has anyone actually ever heard that first Verve EP that inspired them? Just curious.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, b/c I don't know what Voyager 1 you're referring to (album? band?), but I think I can answer yes to this.

If you're talking about The Verve EP, which was released prior to Verve's first full length (and is a compilation of 3-4 early EPs/singles), it's their best stuff, really, although I also love the first album. But if you want to get this stuff, I have to tell you to get the actual EPs instead (they're still available, I think), b/c the EP versions are edited/shortened(BBBOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!), and there are a few great songs on the EPs that aren't on the short comp.

But adding to my confusion is that Verve also had a very early release entitled Voyager 1. I wouldn't call it an EP, though. This is an early live set, it was either released independently by the band in a limited number or is a semi-official bootleg. I don't even know, but I've had copies of it for years. Starting with a taped cassette and now a decent digital copy. It's also fantastic. It's just raw, sprawling versions of the early songs, including at least one that I don't think is on anything else. It's also in strong contention for my favourite Verve release.

I guess Verve could be considered shoegaze as well. They were truly a great band for a number of years, which was only hinted at on their last album before breaking up. Of course that one is their best known due to a couple of hit singles.

Are those Verve releases even what you were asking about?

Nov 25, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @
But adding to my confusion is that Verve also had a very early release entitled Voyager 1. I wouldn't call it an EP, though. This is an early live set, it was either released independently by the band in a limited number or is a semi-official bootleg. I don't even know, but I've had copies of it for years. Starting with a taped cassette and now a decent digital copy. It's also fantastic. It's just raw, sprawling versions of the early songs, including at least one that I don't think is on anything else. It's also in strong contention for my favourite Verve release.

Yeah, the Verve bootleg is what I was asking about. Originally just a live vinyl release, but the band Voyager One was very much influenced by that sound, enough so that they used it for their name. They have two very good albums, From the New Nation of Long Shadows, and Monster Zero. And apparently a new one called Dissolver that djgustashaw mentioned in his post. Thanks for the info.

Nov 25, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #23 of 40
hmm... to define Shoegaze in a nutshell: it's a late 80's to early 90's genre of (mostly) British based indie rock, noted for squalls of effects, noise, feedback, and wall of sound, but not bereft of pop melodies and structure. the tag "Shoegaze" was penned by the UK music press of the time, because these bands seemed bored and were wrongly accused of constantly staring at their shoes in live performances. the truth was that they depended on loads of effects pedals and other floor mounted equipment to replicate the lush and noisy wall of sound that were put out on studio releases, and keeping track of which pedal to push midway through songs takes concentration and planning, which in turn looked as if these bands were "staring at their shoes."

Shoegaze is directly influenced from early EPs and the full length album Isn't Anything by My Bloody Valentine, as well as IMO even more influential album Psychocandy by Jesus and Mary Chain which predates Isn't Anything by two years. the genre also owes debt to Cocteau Twins, The House of Love, and Dinosaur Jr.

as for the best Shoegaze albums, i'm biased in saying Ride's Nowhere is the best... everyone else can duke it out for second place!
biggrin.gif
okay... i'll be fair, Souvlaki by Slowdive and Loveless by My Bloody Valentine are as equally good as Nowhere. my other faves are Chrome by Catherine Wheel, A Storm in Heaven by The Verve, Everything's Alright Forever by The Boo Radleys (i'll agree with DA that Learning to Walk is their best output by far, but it's not a proper album but a collection of early EP's), and Mezcal Head by Swervedriver.

it's amazing that most of the albums i've listed were issued by Creation Records, who's founder Alan McGee can also claim major contributer to the Shoegaze genre. i have no doubt in saying half of all classic Shoegaze music were issued by Creation Records.

Nov 25, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by djgustashaw
...and I also have Voyager One's first two albums (haven't been able to pick up the latest yet).

Haven't seen it either, but just checked around some and it is available at cdbaby for $10 now so guess I need to get my order out. Monster Zero was high on my list of favorites in 2002 and is still a fun listen.

Nov 25, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #25 of 40
^^^OK, yeah, you definitely need that if you like Verve at all. I doubt the vinyl's available, but it's around. I could help hook you up if need be. I can't remember if my digital copy is lossless or MP3-sourced, but since I'll be digging it up shortly, I'll soon know. I haven't listened to them in a while for some unknown reason.

I hadn't heard of the band V1. Interesting strategy, naming yourself after an album that's a big influence. I'll have to check them out some time.

Nov 25, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #26 of 40
yeah, i had a copy of Voyager 1 on cassette a long time ago, and have not listened to it in years. what i do remember were very good live versions of ealry Verve songs. IIRC, it was a semi-official vinyl bootleg, and issued in several pressings with different colours. i can't remember which colour were the most desireable/rarest though.

Nov 25, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
hmm... to define Shoegaze in a nutshell: it's a late 80's to early 90's genre of (mostly) British based indie rock, noted for squalls of effects, noise, feedback, and wall of sound, but not bereft of pop melodies and structure. the tag "Shoegaze" was penned by the UK music press of the time, because these bands seemed bored and were wrongly accused of constantly staring at their shoes in live performances. the truth was that they depended on loads of effects pedals and other floor mounted equipment to replicate the lush and noisy wall of sound that were put out on studio releases, and keeping track of which pedal to push midway through songs takes concentration and planning, which in turn looked as if these bands were "staring at their shoes."

Shoegaze is directly influenced from early EPs and the full length album Isn't Anything by My Bloody Valentine, as well as IMO even more influential album Psychocandy by Jesus and Mary Chain which predates Isn't Anything by two years. the genre also owes debt to Cocteau Twins, The House of Love, and Dinosaur Jr.

Good definition. I'm curious about your take on how much (or whether or not) Spacemen 3 fit this definition. I think we can all at least degree they were a strong influence on the shoegazers, especially in terms of heavy guitar feedback/disortion effects.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
as for the best Shoegaze albums, i'm biased in saying Ride's Nowhere is the best... everyone else can duke it out for second place!
biggrin.gif
okay... i'll be fair, Souvlaki by Slowdive and Loveless by My Bloody Valentine are as equally good as Nowhere.

Nowhere really is amazing.
cool.gif

Nov 25, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #28 of 40
great, while I was out, everyone starts talking about my favorite kind of music.

Here's a list of some more albums, not all are specifically "shoegazer" but more like.. "if you like... then you'll like.." I used to make these tape mixes called "Heroin Music" made up of mostly bands like these:

The Jesus & Mary Chain - PSYCHOCANDY
A.R. Kane - SIXTY NINE
Cocteau Twins - HEAVEN OR LAS VEGAS & BLUE BELL KNOLL
Loop - FADE OUT (similar to early/mid Spacemen 3)
Moonshake - EVA LUNA
Straitjacket Fits - HAIL
Galaxie 500 - ON FIRE
Chapterhouse - WHIRLPOOL (similar to Slowdive w/ heavier beats)
Pale Saints - IN RIBBONS (one of my top 5 shoegazer albums, nearly perfect in my book)
Moose - SONNY & SAM
Medicine - THE BURIED LIFE (all 3 of their early albums are great)
Bailter Space - ROBOT WORLD, AIM Ep (awesome NZ group)
Mercury Rev - YERSELF IS STEAM
Yo La Tengo - I CAN HEAR THE HEART BEATING AS ONE
The Darling Buds - EROTICA
Spiritualized - LASER GUIDED MELODIES
Love Spirals Downward - FLUX
Drop Nineteens - DELAWARE
Velocity Girl - COPACETIC
Bark Psychosis - HEX
Mojave 3 - ASK ME TOMORROW
Mazzy Star - SO TONIGHT THAT I MIGHT SEE (you know, "Fade Into You" really IS a great song)
Sonic Youth - SISTER (yes, they looked at their shoes sometimes)
Red House Painters - SONGS FOR A BLUE GUITAR (just have to mention them, this is my favorite RHP album)
Sigur Ros - Ágætis Byrjun
Ride - GOING BLANK AGAIN (NOWHERE may get all the glory, but this one has two of their finest songs - "Leave them All Behind" and "Ox4")
The 3-D's - HELLZAPOPPIN (NZ band, if you like the Swirlies or the Flaming Lips, check them out, great fun noize-pop)
Renderers - DREAM OF THE SEA (another NZ band, sounds like the soundtrack to a bad Mezcal trip in the outback)
The American Analog Set - THE FUN OF WATCHING FIREWORKS (they've done a lot of great stuff, I still love their debut.. "Diana Slowburner II" is just classic
Doves - LOST SOULS (yes, a great shoegazer album)
Elbow - ASLEEP IN THE BACK (yes, another great shoegazer album)
Southpacific - CONSTANCE (they took up where some of Slowdive's electronic experiements left off)
And, a Dead Can Dance album wouldn't hurt.. INTO THE LABYRINTH is a great place to start

That's some to chew on..

-jar

Nov 25, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
great, while I was out, everyone starts talking about my favorite kind of music.

Here's a list of some more albums, not all are specifically "shoegazer" but more like.. "if you like... then you'll like.." I used to make these tape mixes called "Heroin Music" made up of mostly bands like these:

Loop - FADE OUT (similar to early/mid Spacemen 3)

Galaxie 500 - ON FIRE

-jar

Mason jar, excellent list and I'm glad you caught the thread before it faded into obscurity (like too much of this good music, alas).

Two comments. On Loop, I'm happy someone else is turned on to their music. In a way they were playing Spacemen 3-style music better than Spacemen 3! I digress. In case you didn't know, except for Gilded Eternity, I think all of their albums are long out of print and highly collectible. So if you have a copy of Fade Out, I would get it insured.
tongue.gif

Second, I can't remember if you posted on my other thread, but I wanted to alert you that last week the Galaxie 500 Peel Sessions were released (a longish EP). Excellent sound quality and excellent music.

Happy T-day.
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
Southpacific - CONSTANCE (they took up where some of Slowdive's electronic experiements left off)

Funny you should mention them, I heard them (and their band name) once, and instantly thought that they were probably naming themselves after a song from that same Verve record, Vogager 1.

South Pacific is the song on there that I was talking about when I said there's one I don't think is on anything else, it's great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back