The Best of the Shoegazers
Nov 24, 2005 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

gratefulshrink

Headphoneus Supremus
The album Souvlaki by Slowdive came up in another thread as possibly the best shoegazer album. I disagree. I would put it fourth behind the following: Nowhere (Ride), Perfect Prescription (Spacemen 3), and Loveless (MBV).

While Nowhere loses points for being unven, when it is good, it is just SO good, that nothing can beat it. Melodic, driving, lush, soaring harmonies, and trippy all at once. Although I am a much bigger Spacemen 3 fan than Ride fan, I still would pick Nowhere over Perfect Prescription. I actually think Spacemen 3 fit more in the definition of shoegazing (and may have really been the first -- before MBV), but I am just always amazed by Nowhere.

Any other choices for the "best of" list here?

Nov 24, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 40
Speaking of Slowdive............
Fans need to get 2CD reissues of three albums released 11/22/05, especially debut "just for a day" which collects many early hard to find EPs together as bonus tracks, essential shoegaze material.

Ten best shoegaze albums (one album per group):

1)My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
2)Ride - Nowhere
3)Catherine Wheel - Ferment
4)Curve - Pubic Fruit
5)Slowdive - Just for a Day
6)Swervedriver - Raise
7)Lush - Gala
8)Majesty Crush - Love 15
9)My Vitriol - Finelines
10)Swirlies - Blonder Tongue

Nov 24, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 40
yes, a while back i posted and asked for recommendation on shoegaze. slowdive - just for a day would be the number one shoegaze album for me, although i havent heard many. i bought the ride - nowhere mp3 album online but i only listened to it once, it didnt really get to me yet. i probably will eventually though. it seem more active then the usual laidback shoesgaze i expected.

there's a small project called monster movie, its made of two ex-slowdive members. their debut 'last night something happens' is really good.

i also discovered pale saints, which i think are the one who pioneer this genre.

shoegaze sometimes remind me of dreampop. there's an underground band called autumn's grey solace. their second album, over the ocean, sort of have shoesgaze elements in it, but also a very unique etheral guitar works, like a weaving forest. the voice of the female vocalist of this band is one of the most beautiful i've heard in my life. very breathy, but also sorrowful or yearning at times.

Nov 24, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel

It at once defines and transcends the genre. Mostly transcends, though.

Nov 24, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 40
Kitchens of Distinction-- Strange Free World. A little more pop-y and dreamy than most but still part of that category methinks.

Nov 24, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

2)Ride - Nowhere
4)Curve - Pubic Fruit
6)Swervedriver - Raise
7)Lush - Gala
9)My Vitriol - Finelines

Thanks for the list.

I was reading about Curve on AMG, and they picked out their first album, Doppelganger, as their best. What do you think about that versus the Public Fruit collection as a first exposure to the band?

Nov 24, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Thanks for the list.

I was reading about Curve on AMG, and they picked out their first album, Doppelganger, as their best. What do you think about that versus the Public Fruit collection as a first exposure to the band?

I have all Curve albums including Doppelhanger, nothing weak in any of their work, you can really just buy them all.
Pubic Fruit actually collects first three early EPs together in a single collection and some songs appear in later albums. However the intensity level is greater in the early EP versions, so therefore I consider it thier single strongest work.......lets no forget Toni Halliday is the undisputed diva of shoegaze!

Nov 24, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Another's opinion: I'd go with Pubic Fruit, although Doppelganger is good also.

Since you're asking for new stuff, I'm going to submit Th' Faith Healers. I don't know if they're shoegaze for sure, but Imaginary Friend is a great album. I'm kind of bad with genre definitions. For instance, I wouldn't ever have thought of Spacemen 3 as shoegaze. They drone like few others, but I tend to associate that genre as... I'm going to have to try to explain this later. As I said, I'm not saying S3 aren't, I just don't know sometimes.

Anyway, Th' Faith Healers are very good, and a psych-ish, repetitive (but interesting and driving) guitar band. They also have a Peel Sessions record just out that I'm going to be all over.

Oh, and if Swervedriver are in the mix, I have to loudly recommend Mezcal Head. Rock doesn't get a lot better than that.

Nov 24, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @
For instance, I wouldn't ever have thought of Spacemen 3 as shoegaze. They drone like few others, but I tend to associate that genre as... I'm going to have to try to explain this later. As I said, I'm not saying S3 aren't, I just don't know sometimes.

Well, genre defintions are limiting, and I guess arbitrary at times. I've usually heard Spacemen 3 discussed in the context of the Shoegazers, but then there music really is much more like drone rock. Plus they were jamming 6 or 7 years before most of the typical shoegazer bands even started. So that would make them maybe pioneers in a new territory, or just heavy duty stoners who were still stuck in VU/MC-5/13th Floor Elevators loud & psychedelic gonzo riffs reverberating from 1968. Anyway, I love Spacemen 3, but I agree that they don't fit neatly into any category.

Nov 24, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Speaking of Slowdive............
Fans need to get 2CD reissues of three albums released 11/22/05, especially debut "just for a day" which collects many early hard to find EPs together as bonus tracks, essential shoegaze material.

2)Ride - Nowhere
4)Curve - Pubic Fruit
6)Swervedriver - Raise
7)Lush - Gala
9)My Vitriol - Finelines

11)Starflyer 59 - Gold
12)Boo Radleys - Learning to Walk
13)Pale Saints - Comforts of Madness
14)High Violets - 44 Down
15)Low Sunday - Elesgiem

Nov 24, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

I have all Curve albums including Doppelhanger, nothing weak in any of their work, you can really just buy them all.
Pubic Fruit actually collects first three early EPs together in a single collection and some songs appear in later albums. However the intensity level is greater in the early EP versions, so therefore I consider it thier single strongest work.......lets no forget Toni Halliday is the undisputed diva of shoegaze!

ok, Public Fruit is now officially on my wish list.
biggrin.gif

For Catherine Wheel, what about Chrome verus Ferment?

Nov 24, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

I've usually heard Spacemen 3 discussed in the context of the Shoegazers...Anyway, I love Spacemen 3, but I agree that they don't fit neatly into any category.

I love 'em as well, and I could definitely see how they'd be included in the shoegaze set as soon as it was mentioned. I'd just never thought of it. That's the thing, though, any band that could be easily pigeonholed is probably a follower and less likely to be good.

Genres are OK, as long as they're not taken too seriously they allow for general questions/discussions like the one in this thread, and that's not a bad thing.

Of course, if they're taken too seriously, it becomes what Miles Davis was talking about in his bio: And I always hated categories. Always. Never thought it had any place in music.

Nov 24, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @
I love 'em as well, and I could definitely see how they'd be included in the shoegaze set as soon as it was mentioned. I'd just never thought of it. That's the thing, though, any band that could be easily pigeonholed is probably a follower and less likely to be good.

Genre's are OK, as long as they're not taken too seriously they allow for general questions/discussions like the one in this thread, and that's not a bad thing.

Of course, if they're taken too seriously, it becomes what Miles Davis was talking about in his bio: And I always hated categories. Always. Never thought it had any place in music.

It's true; the best music defies genre-ization, but I suppose collectors, musicologists, and critics need some category to place a band. Maybe the greatest compliment to somebody like Miles is that new names for genres had to be created for him.
cool.gif

Nov 24, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

ok, Public Fruit is now officially on my wish list.
biggrin.gif

For Catherine Wheel, what about Chrome verus Ferment?

Two really great albums, very hard to choose, get both seriously.....check used prices at Amazon. Later CW albums move away from shoegaze and not nearly as good.

I just give slight edge to debut "ferment" which also has my fav song by them "black metallic"

Nov 24, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 40
Other than Loveless, which I think is really at a different level than anything else in this little genre (including Souvlaki
wink.gif
), it's kind of hard to pick the best. Kind of like the person that only buys 15 albums a year and tries to make a top 10 out of it
wink.gif

That AMG review only said that Souvlaki was almost on par with Loveless, but doesn't matter, sometimes I like it more than Loveless and the rest. Sometimes I like Voyager One better too. Just depends on my mood. When they get into that long, quarter speed, spacey cover of the Beatles "Daytripper", well, there's not much better.

Hey, speaking of Voyager One, has anyone actually ever heard that first Verve EP that inspired them? Just curious.

The Telescopes are another favorite of mine. That self titled is great. And I'd vote for Catherine Wheel's Chrome as my favorite, but it does kind of skirt the shoegaze/space rock boundary, providing the link from Pink Floyd to My Bloody Valentine. Great album. More in line with some of the more ballsy stuff from Verve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back