The best music player software for Mac ?
Aug 24, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #46 of 65
Quote:
I was satisfied with each player, till I tried the next. 

LOL that is the absolute best and most concise summarization of the mental illness of compulsive audiophilia I have ever seen. Just replace the work "player" with headphone, amp, speaker, cable, whatever and you have a statement that is undoubtedly true! We're all nuts, but it's a fun kind of nuts :)

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #47 of 65
Quote:
LOL that is the absolute best and most concise summarization of the mental illness of compulsive audiophilia I have ever seen. Just replace the work "player" with headphone, amp, speaker, cable, whatever and you have a statement that is undoubtedly true! We're all nuts, but it's a fun kind of nuts :)

Haha so true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZDrSitE4Ik&feature=player_embedded

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #49 of 65
I'm a Pure Music user, and have demo'd Amarra and Audirvarna Plus. I would say that Pure Music has the best iTunes integration, while the other two have their pluses and minuses in that department. Amarra seems to take a slight lead sonically though. Decibel and Fidelia are up for demo next.

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #50 of 65
If you have a DAC or usb to coaxial converter capable of integer mode, Audirvana Plus is the best on Lion and Mountain Lion, in my opinion.  I just picked up the Hiface 2 converter and with direct /integer mode enabled, Audirvana Plus is the best my system has ever been.  There is absolutely no veil and background is completely black.  Just feels like a direct feed into the music.  I saw Pure Music has integer mode but doesn't work on Lion or Mountain Lion yet.  Audirvana Plus found some work around to get this feature working.

Previously Amarra was my favorite sound wise, but always hated the interface.  Audirvana Plus was my favorite for usability but wasn't the most musical but direct mode really makes that big of an improvement.

Audirvana Plus beta:

http://audirvana.com/?p=304

You can also read 6moons.com review and at the end mention the beta with direct mode.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/players/1.html

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #51 of 65
I've recently switched from using Fidelia to Audirvana Plus.

The stability/performance seems to be a tick above Fidelia while sonically, I can't tell a difference between the two. The UI completely trumps Fidelia's size/skin in every way as well (IMO)

I like that I can use the media keys to control track selection, which wouldn't work on Fidelia.

The only issue I have is that the playlist doesn't allow header sorting but I hope that is addressed in the next version or an upcoming update.

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #53 of 65
Quote:
I've recently switched from using Fidelia to Audirvana Plus.

The stability/performance seems to be a tick above Fidelia while sonically, I can't tell a difference between the two. The UI completely trumps Fidelia's size/skin in every way as well (IMO)

I like that I can use the media keys to control track selection, which wouldn't work on Fidelia.

The only issue I have is that the playlist doesn't allow header sorting but I hope that is addressed in the next version or an upcoming update.

You can click in iTunes integreation mode and use iTunes as your interface.  Then in preference, iTunes tab, check all those boxes to achieve same sound quality as stand alone.  Only feature missing is the progress bar on the song while playing.  Think he's working on having the work even with boxes checked.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #54 of 65
Out of all my players, Audirvana Plus is by far the best looking one as well as crashes the least from them all. Sound wise also a great option. Even though Amarra is better, I still prefer Audirvana + for its convenience. Simple, elegant and works.  

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #55 of 65
Quote:

You can click in iTunes integreation mode and use iTunes as your interface.  Then in preference, iTunes tab, check all those boxes to achieve same sound quality as stand alone.  Only feature missing is the progress bar on the song while playing.  Think he's working on having the work even with boxes checked.

Cool, thanks for the heads up.

It doesn't bother me enough to run two apps though .. my laptop is a 2008 so I'm already maxed out at 4 gigs.  Still works fine so haven't felt the need to upgrade yet but 8 or 16 gigs of RAM would be nice in the near future.

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #58 of 65
Do you have those optimizer checkboxes in Audirvana Plus checked?  I leave them all unchecked since I do other tasks when I'm playing music. It takes way too long for Spotlight to restart once you shut the program down.  If you use your Mac is mostly as a music server, then checking all those boxes is probably the best idea.

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #59 of 65
That's not the issue, the issue is that spotlight never get's restored if you have the system optimizer checked (spotlight isn't checked yet it's disabled until you reboot)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back