the best lod for ipod
Nov 28, 2008 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all..! i just ordered the "sik ram din"for my ipod. i want to connect it to my ultra micro amp. since i began to search and dig for "the best" lod for the ipod, i thougt that the sik or the pocketdock are the best...until i entered to the "qables" site and looked at some cables over there.

i am interested to know if anyone of you people ever used or have one of these pricy cables for the ipod?
does it makes a noticeable difference if i had one of these instead of the sik ram? i am looking for the best signal to feed my ultra micro,and i already love the ipod sound in general.

thx!

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 20
"Best" is very subjective.
I don't think you can go much wrong with the ALO Cryo SXC 18G cable though.
ALO-Cryo-SXC-small.jpg

His cables are highly regarded around here.
smile.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 20
beh, dont waste so much money on cables, i hate seeing cash spent that way. Get one that's sturdy and does what it should-carry sound. Getting an amp that is 100 bucks more will make 200 times more difference than some wire (which might not make any) thats 100 bucks more than a homemade one. I hope "best" doesnt mean "looks the best" in your head.

Ah now that i look at your buy, that cable looks fine. The usual ones ppl suggest here are crazy-expensive. The only thing is, u may have to tie up the extra cable hanging out.

btw, i like that dogdragon, from "never ending story"

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 20
Ah now that i look at your buy, that cable looks fine. The usual ones ppl suggest here are crazy-expensive. The only thing is, u may have to tie up the extra cable hanging out.

btw, i like that dogdragon, from "never ending story"[/QUOTE]

thx!
smile_phones.gif
since i already ordered the sik ram din cable i will stick to it for a while.
if it will sound good,i dont think i will replace it.
the reason i made this thread is to know if anyone can point on a significance
sound improvement with the more "professional" pricier cables.

Nov 29, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #7 of 20
Well, you asked for the "best" LOD.
There is a clear correlation between price and build/sound quality, as with most other items out there (that my opinion).

I am sure the Sik Ram Din at $21.95 is quite nice. But I doubt its the "Best"..
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 20
iPod LODs have very very subtle effect on the sound. And I emphasise VERY. No point buying expensive ones IMHO. You won't notice the difference unless you're listening to your iPod very very critically. Now. For the "best" LOD? As the saying goes, the best interconnect is no interconnect. But since you need an LOD, the shortest possible LOD would be the best LOD.

DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 337 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

That would be a good example for the best LOD.

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 20
krmatis, give you the best product.
But it'snt in your Price.
So, look on ebay.com, there is some good LOD at lower price.

And yes, generaly Lod sound better (more direct sound) if it's use with a good amp.

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 20
Personally I have a facepalm fiesta when i see those ridiculousely overpriced cables at qables, ALO etc. People spend hundreds of dollars on cable that dont do **** and at the same time bulks up the rig to extremes

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Best" is very subjective.
I don't think you can go much wrong with the ALO Cryo SXC 18G cable though.
ALO-Cryo-SXC-small.jpg

His cables are highly regarded around here.
smile.gif

Ya know, I coulda splurged some stupid dough on one of ALO's super cotton docks as they looked cool but two hundred bucks for something that looks like it was stolen out of the paliative care ward is just a bit much for me.
As for sound quality, who the heck knows.

Has anyone ever sat down and ran a comparative review of a bunch of the "top" LODs?

Whatever happened to the Super cottons from ALOs catalog anyways?

Here's what I use and it seems to do a fine job.
DSC09721b.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=380098366414

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #14 of 20
I've used the LOD you ordered and it's fine.

You need to put the iPod in perspective. No matter what you do to it, it'll never be the best source. Further, the iPod only has a lifespan of about 18-24 months. Anything you put into it will be lost within two years. Not only that, but storage capacity will at least double every two years, batteryn life will increase, the units will get smaller, and so on. In two years, you probably will want the new one anyway.

Here's the point: the cost of some blingin' cryo wire plus a new iPod is about what I paid for a used Rega Planar 3 and a Grado Gold cartridge. The Rega positively wipes the floor with an iPod. For the same price. And the Rega hasn't changed much in 30 years and you can get any part you want for it.

No, I'm not bashing the iPod. I love mine. But I am *not* going to pour cash into what is essentially a disposable piece of gear. That's crazy. Instead, I'll buy a new one every couple of years. All of my audio investment money goes into solid, long-term gear and quality recordings.

If you want to call this snobby and elite, go check the thread of the guy who assembled a turntable, tube amp, vintage receiver, and RS-2s for about £600, or roughly $1,000. You can drop $1,000 easy on various portable doodads and sundry snakeoil. But that $1,000 rig will completely demolish anything portable.

It's not how much money you spend, it's how you spend it.

Jun 6, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 20
Only the individual buyer can determine what is acceptable in cost/sound ratio. I can say w/o a doubt that the ALO SXC Cryo ALO is a fantastic sounding unit and much better than all the many (over 25) line outs I have tested over the last 3-4 years. IMO only one line out sounds better and it was made by ALO and since it is no longer in production I will not mention it. I should add that what is good to me may be rubbish to you so take my words w/ caution and let your ears decide. BTW, Ken the owner of ALO is a very nice guy and a pleasure to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back