The Best In-Production Vinyl
Nov 19, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #32 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of you who love Radiohead, nearly every Radiohead albums sounds significantly better than the CD counterpart. However, the double LP version of OK Computer, Kid A and Amnesiac are particularly stunning. We of course also have the limited edition heavy vinyl boxed set edition of their latest. The 33 rpm is great, the 45 rpm is near transcendental
wink.gif

I have both The Bends and OK Computer on vinyl, and as odd as this may sound I have not listened to either one of them (I know, shame on me). I bought them both over a year ago at a time when I was buying a ton of vinyl "just because." I just tore the shrink wrap from OK Computer and will make it a point to listen to it later today. Right now I am finishing listening to a 200g Classic Records pressing of Dvořák Cello Concerto - Piatigorksky/Munch/BSO.

Thanks for the reminder to give those Radiohead albums a spin.

--Jerome

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #33 of 108
I have both OK Computer and The Bends as well, initially just because they were great albums and I wanted something tangible to show how much i liked them.

I'll give them another listen this evening. OK Computer benefits especially from the large packaging -- the art is gorgeous, including the sleeves.

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #34 of 108
Here's another recommendation, but take it with a grain of salt:

Bright Eyes -- Cassadega.

Having heard both the LP and the CD of this album, I can honestly say there is little sonic difference. The LP, however, is packaged brilliantly.

The entire design is an optical illusion, and is only decoded through use of a pair of provided glasses. It really is an experience.

It also comes with an MP3 coupon, and is priced very reasonably for a 180g 2LP. If you're interested in the album, I would pick it up. If not, it's not a particularly great testament to the quality of vinyl.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #35 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both The Bends and OK Computer on vinyl, and as odd as this may sound I have not listened to either one of them (I know, shame on me). I bought them both over a year ago at a time when I was buying a ton of vinyl "just because." I just tore the shrink wrap from OK Computer and will make it a point to listen to it later today. Right now I am finishing listening to a 200g Classic Records pressing of Dvořák Cello Concerto - Piatigorksky/Munch/BSO.

Thanks for the reminder to give those Radiohead albums a spin.

--Jerome

I really really enjoy Radiohead on vinyl. Perhaps my favourite band to enjoy that way. They typically work hard to get it right when on the BIG BLACK DISC!

Now then, about the cello concerto! My favourite from Dvořák so I will check this out!

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #36 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's another recommendation, but take it with a grain of salt:

Bright Eyes -- Cassadega.

Having heard both the LP and the CD of this album, I can honestly say there is little sonic difference. The LP, however, is packaged brilliantly.

The entire design is an optical illusion, and is only decoded through use of a pair of provided glasses. It really is an experience.

It also comes with an MP3 coupon, and is priced very reasonably for a 180g 2LP. If you're interested in the album, I would pick it up. If not, it's not a particularly great testament to the quality of vinyl.

I love this album, I don't have the cd to compare with but the packaging is really well executed. Personally the way many indie labels are going... LP + download code, this to me is ideal! I have my "on the go" copy without doing a needle drop but I still get the goods on vinyl, my preferential collecting format. I would LOVE FLAC versions even if it meant the LP/FLAC combo was priced a dollar or 2 higher.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #37 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now then, about the cello concerto! My favorite from Dvořák so I will check this out!

Dvořák is one of my favorite composers, and his Cello Concerto in B Minor gets a lot of play on my system. I have 14 different performances of this piece, and I have some of them on different media. I can tell you that this Classic Records release of the Piatigorksky/Munch/BSO performance is very nice. And in some ways it even betters the already good Living Stereo Hybrid SACD. I can give it a personal recommendation to you for that reason, and the fact that you're fond of the piece.

But right after listening to the Dvořák Cello Concerto I put on this wonderful performance of Scheherazade by Fritz Reiner and Chicago Symphony Orchestra and I had a damn-near religious experience with it.

Reiner_ScheherazadeLP.jpg

Here is a case where the Living Stereo SACD is good, but this Classic Records pressing on 200g vinyl is in a league of its own. This LP is so good, that I am going to go out on a limb a little bit and say that I have only heard two classical music recordings that sounded better, and both of those were on 1/4" 4-track stereo tape: one was a performance of Beethoven's 5th Symphony by Bruno Walter and Columbia Sypmphony Orchestra (the LP of this same recording is awful if you ask me), and the other was a recording of Brahms Symphony No. 3 by William Steinberg and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.

Don't underestimate the SQ that tape can deliver. Most of the vintage vinyl pressings of orchestral music that I have don't quite do complete justice to strings. They can sound very good, don't get me wrong. But these 1/4" tapes are a different animal, and when the entire string section is going the music can move some serious air and it just washes over you. That is the feeling that I get when I listen to this Classic Records release of Scheherazade, and this is meant to be high praise for this LP. It is one of only a handful of classical recordings that can make the hair on the back of my neck stand up, give me goosebumps, and perhaps cause me to shed a tiny tear of joy when I hear it - all at the same time. If you like Russian composers, this piece in particular, Fritz Reiner/CSO, or classical music in general then run to Acoustic Sounds and order this album while you can. You won't regret it.

--Jerome

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #39 of 108
Today's recommendation is a good one (in my opinion) although it stirred up a bit of controversy over on the Hoffman forum...

I have really enjoyed the new effort from Tom Petty and buddies in the band Mudcrutch. I have both the self titled double LP and more recently the Live EP. Mudcrutch falls into a genre of music that I would describe as 70's California country-rock. Think Flying Burrito Brothers/Byrds/Gram Parsons... The production is very straight forward, recorded live in the studio without overdubs. Again, it was an analog production, and works very well in vinyl format. The great thing with both releases is that they also include a "Full Dynamic Range" audiophile CD. The CD is basically a copy of the uncompressed source tape used to cut the vinyl. The CD's sound incredibly good BTW. This CD is what caused so much of the controversy. There were many people that felt Warner Bros should have released this "audiophile" CD to the general public. Instead, the official CD versions of both releases are compressed, in order to compete in the loudness wars going in the age of mp3 players. You can only get the the audiophile version as a bonus disc if you buy the vinyl, and are actually labeled as "Promotion Only - Not For Sale."

Anyway, both releases are limited production, and to tell you the truth I'm not sure if the self-titled LP is readily available in the local shops anymore. It is still around though online I'm sure. The Live EP was just released, so it should be easy to pick up, for those who like the studio release.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #40 of 108
I would like to point out that Acoustic Sounds is having a sale on select Classic Records 180g and 200g LPs. It is not a long list of titles and most of them will appeal only to classical music fans...but I couldn't pass up several of them. 180g LPs are $14.99 and 200g records are anywhere from $16.99 to $19.99.

Right now I am listening to the Elgar Enigma Variations 200g LP and it sounds wonderful so far.

I would encourage you to check them out before the sale ends or their stock is depleted.

--Jerome

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #41 of 108
LivingStereo_Borodin_Symphony.jpg

This Borodin / Rimsky-Korsakoff classic records 200g vinyl is simply stunning. To the best of my knowledge this RCA Living Stereo recording has not been issued on CD. Sure, there are other performances of it on CD, but the mastering job on this classic is great and the sale price of $16.99 at Acoustic Sounds makes it a great value as well.

--Jerome

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #42 of 108
That's it? I thought the vinyl faithful here could muster a little more than this.

Anyway, today I ordered the Drive By Truckers double LP that was recomended. It was an easy buy since I already have Southern Rock Opera and love it.

--Jerome

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #43 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's it? I thought the vinyl faithful here could muster a little more than this.

Anyway, today I ordered the Drive By Truckers double LP that was recomended. It was an easy buy since I already have Southern Rock Opera and love it.

--Jerome

Glad to hear that ordered the Trucker's latest. I doubt you'll be disappointed...

I'll go pick another album out and try to keep this thread alive.

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #44 of 108
This pick is from the R&B genre, to help round things out a bit on the list Sherwood is creating. Bette LaVette got her start in the 60's and then dropped off the charts when rock 'n roll became the king in the 70's. This album, The Scene Of The Crime, is her latest release after making a comeback in the last 5 years or so. This one was recorded at FAME Studios, the home of many famous recordings that popularized the Muscle Shoals sound in the 60's. The backup band features Spooner Oldman and David Hood, both studio legends for over 40 years. They are joined by members of The Drive-By Truckers, with production by Patterson Hood and David Barbe. This is an analog recording using great microphones and most of the tracks are recorded live without overdubs. What makes this one so great (beyond the music and Bette's amazing vocals) is that the vinyl is well mastered (a half speed master by Stan Ricker) with great dynamics. You can turn up the volume, but the quiet parts are still quiet, and you can almost feel the energy in the room itself. The track, Talking Old Soldiers (which is actually an old Elton John tune reworked by Bette to personalize the story line of the song) is simply an amazing performance beautifully recorded. It sounds like she is in the room, literally. Highly recommended...

BTW, this one also comes with a mp3 download coupon, so you can have a digital copy if you want it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back