The Best In-Production Vinyl
Nov 16, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #16 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh! I had no idea he did a remastering! Is this a recent release? Or the one that was released a few years ago (I don't know when the anniversary was). That classic album is wonderful regardless of the mastering, so having a top notch remaster would be worth the likely $50 cost.

It was released in 2003, and you should be able to get it for $30-$50 Cdn. I know Chapters/Indigo sells it online for $40-something, and I've seen it in a few record stores in Edmonton for $35 or so.

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #17 of 108
Zanth, I'm glad to see you over here, as you were the inspiration for this thread.

Great work so far, gentlemen. I'll use some space at the beginning to keep a list.

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #18 of 108
For those of you who love Radiohead, nearly every Radiohead albums sounds significantly better than the CD counterpart. However, the double LP version of OK Computer, Kid A and Amnesiac are particularly stunning. We of course also have the limited edition heavy vinyl boxed set edition of their latest. The 33 rpm is great, the 45 rpm is near transcendental
wink.gif

For something a bit dated but completely over the top in terms of sound quality (it is one of my go to albums when auditioning and evaluating gear) is Harry Belafonte's Live at Carnegie Hall. There are a few versions out there, but the in production quadrophonic version is quite good and 45 rpm heavy vinyl. This concert was recorded with very few microphones and the ambience of the hall is the best I've ever heard. The interaction and energy from the audience really comes through on this album and then there is Harry's voice and wonderful dynamics. I enjoy the music so this was an easy buy for me. I have 4 copies, 1 original, 2 rereleases and then the remastered heavy vinyl set. The first three were used when I received them and were very well played. Quite a bit of noise on them, but the magic of the recording still shines through. The 45 rpm set though, WOW!

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #19 of 108
Henry Mancini was responsible for bringing jazz to television and motion picture soundtracks, and the Music from Peter Gunn represents some of his finest work.

petergunn.jpg

What also makes this Speakers Corner 180g LP desirable is there simply is not a good version of this album on CD.

--Jerome

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #20 of 108
Okay, here is another favorite from this year...

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Real Emotional Trash on Matador Records. It's a 180 gram double LP (although only 3 sides are music - Side Four is an etching) in a nice gatefold cover. It also came with a digital download coupon. This one (like the Trucker's latest) was mastered by Steve Calbi at Sterling Sound, so it has great dynamics. This one really grew on me this year, and has been one of my most played albums...

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #21 of 108
Today's pick is the latest release from My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges.

Again a 2 lp set on 180 gram vinyl in a really nice gatefold cover. This is a great example of a current release where by buying the vinyl, you also get the CD as a bonus (as with the Fleet Foxes). Anytime I see a current release with the CD thrown in, it really doesn't make any sense not to buy it instead.

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #22 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today's pick is the latest release from My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges.

Again a 2 lp set on 180 gram vinyl in a really nice gatefold cover. This is a great example of a current release where by buying the vinyl, you also get the CD as a bonus (as with the Fleet Foxes). Anytime I see a current release with the CD thrown in, it really doesn't make any sense not to buy it instead.

Timjo, Were did you find the copy with a free CD. I've had a look around the usual places but no luck.

Cheers

Loving your choices, even though I am trying not to buy any new music for a few weeks, Resistance is futile !!!!!!!!!

Edit :- Found it, thanks for the tip.

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #23 of 108
I think Porcupine Tree- Lightbulb Sun should be on this list. It's still available on black vinyl.

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #24 of 108
It would be nice if folks wrote a sentence or two about what makes the album they are recommending special. Otherwise, this is just going to devolve into another "me too" thread where people throw album titles up of stuff they happen to like without really thinking about it.

If this is going to be a driscriminating thread then a little justification (just a little) would seem to be order.

--Jerome

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #25 of 108
I agree, and I feel that TimJo's posts thusfar have done a good job of maintaining that.

To recommend an album here, the vinyl should be either noticeably better than the CD, or noticeably better than other vinyl. Great music that happens to be available on vinyl, while still great, belongs elsewhere.

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #26 of 108
And in keeping with that I would like to recommend the Steve Hoffman remaster of
ZZ Top's Tres Hombres.

treshombres.jpg

This is absolutely a no brainer for anyone who is a fan of the band and owns
a turntable, and might be a good enough reason to buy a turntable if you
don't have one. This album has not sounded like this since it's 1973 release.
Once you get this record and hear it you will want to toss the CD in the trash
if you own it.

Waitin' for the Bus clip from the CD

Waitin' for the Bus clip from the LP

--Jerome

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #27 of 108
Jerome,

Nice touch posting the clip's. The two don't even come close even through my tinny laptop speakers.

On a side note, love your website, did it take forever to set all the infomation up or is there a shortcut. I would love to know more.

PM me if you don't want to go into to many details and sidetrack this thread.

Cheers

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #28 of 108
I'll elaborate upon my original post, Porcupine Tree: Lightbulb Sun has excellent sound quality. The vinyl is quiet and the recording is good. Best of all, in my opinion this album is in the top 3 of Porcupine Tree records as far as overall musical quality and song writing.

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #29 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great music that happens to be available on vinyl, while still great, belongs elsewhere.

I agree for the most part with just a few reservations. There are a few audiophile labels such as Speakers Corner and Analogue Productions that are putting out vinyl of 1950s and 60s titles that have never been released on a digitial format. If someone feels that some of these titles passes muster sonically and are special I would hope to see a mention of them here, so long as that person provides a rationale for the recommendation.

I know Head-Fi is predominately a community of rock fans, but some of us certified old-farts enjoy jazz and classical music as well.
wink.gif

--Jerome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back