Best dynamics.....no

Dan,

Here's another way of putting it:

Worst highs...no
Worst lows.....no
Worst resolution....no
Worst imaging.......no
Worst dynamics.....no

But in reality, the above characteristics are all very good but not great (and that in itself is great). I think we both understand that when some aspect of a headphone shines and represents itself in a way so as to 'defame' the other characteristics, the imbalance manifests itself as a point of attention. Whenever my attention is drawn away from the music, and to the headphone, I lose that immersive nature which, for me, is the goal.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #17 of 49
Well those are most of my main criteria on enjoying 'phones, not necessarily what thy do well but what they don't do wrong. If I can listen and enjoy what I hear without being annoyed by some aspect of the sound then I feel I have succeeded in my task. This is what my Stax give me, lots of pleasure and very little annoyance. I don't find them lacking in any significant way and thus I am left with an overwhelmingly positive experience and a sound that really suits me. I know my setup can be improved but not in a way that most seem to look on improvement.

To me, with this setup, I look on improvements as litrally that, improving on what I see as a very nice setup. Not to remedy inadequacies, fix problems or other such 'negative' upgrades. I like what I hear now, if later I can get to enjoy them even more, so much the better.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #18 of 49
I'm completely confused as to what I want out of my system right now, but I know that the SR-404 isn't it. I know that the ES2 isn't it either. An HD600-like presentation would be better if only it had the clarity to match the electrostats, otherwise it's not ideal. The SR-001 is probably the closest to the signature that I'd like, but I would want a bit more treble, more impact, more extension, basically I want it done a whole lot better.

I suppose that I've gotten a bit closer to the ideal sound, but I've got a very, very long way to go. Which means, I guess, that I'm in a better state in terms of the perfect system than I was when I was just starting out in this hobby, so maybe I should be grateful.

But, I'm just really confused.

[Edit: yeah, the orpheus would be it, but cmon, if you're supporting yourself through college you've got other things on your mind]

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #19 of 49
so neil, i heard your orpheus at the SJ meet... and I'm not really sure how to characterize that beast. I came away from the system not knowing how to characterize its highs, lows, mids, bass impact, or anything. All I knew was that I had heard something amazing

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

I know a lot of you have found your 'perfect' system(s). Some of you are lucky enough to have found several matches. So my question to you is, what headphone system gets and seems to be keeping you there?

If all recordings were good, I could be completely and unequivocally happy with my Beyer DT880s, forever... too bad that isn't the case.
frown.gif
I'm still very happy with them, but there's no doubt that bright/thin recordings sound very unpleasant, and any bit of dirt/grain/grunge in a recording is served up on a plate.

Don't think I'll ever ditch them for another headphone, but secondary/tertiary headphones are almost mandatory. Still thinking about a headphone purely for hard rock, but most of the genres I listen to are well covered by the DT880/K501 combo (aside from the poor recording issue, to my complete satisfaction).

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #22 of 49
Well all uber headphones aside
orphsmile.gif
, I would probably have to say the Sennheiser HD650, I'm probably biased since I own one, but there are just so many different modifications you can make to it, both aesthetically and functionally. The parts can all be replaced for a relatively low cost, mix-matching with other headphones in the 580-650 line of grills, headbands, and whatnot, numerous and readily available aftermarket cables, magical sounding balanced rigs, and cheap too, well at least the headphones are, maybe not the balanced rig
biggrin.gif
. Plus it can all be done in increments instead of a lump sum payment, allowing you to save up and upgrade later. The CD3000s are good too since they also allow a lot of room to grow, HP3000's anyone?
3000smile.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #23 of 49
For me the best headphone system in the world is something that actually gets used most of the time. That in my case would make it the HD25 / UE10 in summer & planes, plus a DAP. Not because they're particularly good phones (e.g. the UE-10 represents probably the poorest sonic value for money in a headphone that I've ever encountered) but because I actually find them useful. Everything else is disposable.

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #24 of 49
Seeing as so much is being said about the Orpheus, I was wandering what those who've had real experience with it think of its sound stage. I heard the Orpheus once (briefly) and listening to Metallica's S&M I was stunned by their ability to create a layered sound stage that seemed to extend 20-30cms (that's 8-12 inches) to either side of my head. Was I dreaming or does it indeed do that?

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:47 AM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Danny, In my search for the 'best headphone system in the world' for me...
how much, if any, does the Stax equalizer improve the overall presentation of the Lambda's? I'm still in two minds whether to get one.

It improves soundstage very much. Maybe 50-100% if I had to quantify.

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
Dan,

Here's another way of putting it:

Worst highs...no
Worst lows.....no
Worst resolution....no
Worst imaging.......no
Worst dynamics.....no

But in reality, the above characteristics are all very good but not great (and that in itself is great). I think we both understand that when some aspect of a headphone shines and represents itself in a way so as to 'defame' the other characteristics, the imbalance manifests itself as a point of attention. Whenever my attention is drawn away from the music, and to the headphone, I lose that immersive nature which, for me, is the goal.

Neil,

How about we just agree. The best EXPERIECE!

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #27 of 49
Dan -

Deal! We'll agree. (but saying the same thing in different words is so much fun!) LOL. Anyway, can that equalizer thing be used with other Electrostats, or is it only really geared toward specific Stax headphones. IE, will it modify, improve the HE90 sound?

Also, I've heard of a diffuse field equalizer, is this what this is?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luco
Seeing as so much is being said about the Orpheus, I was wandering what those who've had real experience with it think of its sound stage. I heard the Orpheus once (briefly) and listening to Metallica's S&M I was stunned by their ability to create a layered sound stage that seemed to extend 20-30cms (that's 8-12 inches) to either side of my head. Was I dreaming or does it indeed do that?

Yeah the Orpheus has an amazing soundstage that many would say is only behind the AKG K1000 and Sony R10. However, I find what's cool about it is that not only does it present a 'wide' soundstage, it presents one with what feels to be depth as well. Sounds do not only come from various parts of the horizontal plane, but they sink in towards you, and seem to also (to a lesser degree) emenate in front/around you (highly recording dependant).

Neil

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #28 of 49
Neilvg

Of course, Orpheus is one of the best, meybe the first among them. But I have another formula, not so expensive but not cheap. Buy ASL Twin-Head Mark III and tweak them. Change original poor tubes: 2A3 to "mesh" Emmision Labs, 6L6 to KT66 Valve Art, 5AR4 to Philips-Mullard GZ34, 12AX7 to Mullard or even Telefunken "Diamond Bottom", E88CC/6922 to Mullard Gold Pin or Simens. Replace original cheap "black" Almps attenautor to Alps 40 mm, or one another good, replace plastic tube sockets to gold ceramic or better teflon. You can also change all transformers to amorphous cores and finaly (if need be) change 2A3 tubes to 45 "mesh" Emmision Labs. (A few resistors and done.) Remember - 45 is the best power tube in the world.
Now I am in a half way to this state.
Another matter - which headphones? Some best Grados, Sony or AT L3000, I suppose.
Forgive me my English.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #29 of 49
Good amping is good amping, but theres a limit to how far you can take it. The headphone component of the Orpheus system on the other hand reveals the 'Orpheus Sound' with all manner of amps.

No matter how much you throw superior tubes at inferior headphones, you ain't going to get an Orpheus.

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #30 of 49
I don't get it - why does the Orpheus sound so special. Maybe this sounds like a stupid question, but why is it $8000? Do they make the drivers out of albino crocodile skin?

Seriously though, is it the materials and workmanship you're paying for (maybe it uses some rare metal or complicated manufacturing process) or are you paying for the engineering (some magically precise tuning between all parts of the entire system that took years to perfect)? Why can't it be mass produced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back