THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Dec 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #1,351 of 5,013
Quote:

Watched/heard this at the end of a Rick Stein program a few nights ago and just can't let go. Although it's "world-music classical", it so reminds me of classic 4AD ethereal stuff
bigsmile_face.gif

Doe anyone know anything about her?? I've tried to find CDs: unsuccessfully
confused_face_2.gif

best i can do is to point you to Dechen Shak-dagsay who has a pretty similar style and voice. - second video the song starts around 1:25
she's got a few albums...
http://www.amazon.com/Dechen-Shak-Dagsay/e/B001LHMBV2/ref=sr_1_7?qid=1355976650&sr=1-7-ent

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #1,352 of 5,013
Quote:

best i can do is to point you to Dechen Shak-dagsay who has a pretty similar style and voice. - second video the song starts around 1:25
she's got a few albums...
http://www.amazon.com/Dechen-Shak-Dagsay/e/B001LHMBV2/ref=sr_1_7?qid=1355976650&sr=1-7-ent

Ooooh, thanks for that!

I was just thinking that she reminded me of the "Baraka" soundtrack, and it turns out she's on Ron Fricke's latest film, "Samsara"!

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #1,353 of 5,013
to be honest i don't follow this thread until recently, and i don't think this thread deserves to be where Vanessa Carlton and Laura Marling music are shared. That is what I think, i don't think a popular place is where good music to be shared. But if you are to assume that it is the people that like certain music, not music that draws to people, then you are wrong. These music are made by special people, where as yes, music of a certain style does draws to certain people, and then somepoeple will never like it.

but just in case anyone likjes whatw i like, i have to say Vanessa cArlton
's heroes and thieve is hands down my favorite album of ALL UNIVERSE. and MY MANIC AND I is favorite song of all existence.

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #1,354 of 5,013
Quote:
to be honest i don't follow this thread until recently, and i don't think this thread deserves to be where Vanessa Carlton and Laura Marling music are shared. That is what I think, i don't think a popular place is where good music to be shared. But if you are to assume that it is the people that like certain music, not music that draws to people, then you are wrong. These music are made by special people, where as yes, music of a certain style does draws to certain people, and then somepoeple will never like it.

but just in case anyone likjes whatw i like, i have to say Vanessa cArlton
's heroes and thieve is hands down my favorite album of ALL UNIVERSE. and MY MANIC AND I is favorite song of all existence.

What?

Perhaps you you can coherently rethink what you were trying to say and try again.  This thread is simply for people to share who their favourite female vocalists / artists are.  Nothing more / nothing less.  Everyone's favourites are different - that's natural.  No-one puts anyone else's choice down.  The good part is that by sharing you can get introduced to a lot of other female artists you may not have otherwise known.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #1,356 of 5,013
I have several favorite female vocalist. Kd Lang is way up there. Just a few days ago I discovered Melody Gardot and she is an instant favorite. Give "My One and only Thrill" as listen, it won't disappoint.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #1,357 of 5,013
Quote:
I have several favorite female vocalist. Kd Lang is way up there. Just a few days ago I discovered Melody Gardot and she is an instant favorite. Give "My One and only Thrill" as listen, it won't disappoint.

'Wash Me Clean' is my personal favourite KD Lang track (and, happily, her stuff is beautifully recorded, too; even the old stuff like 'Shadowland'):

If you like Melody Gardot then perhaps you might like Rumer (maybe, maybe not, just a casual suggestion, that's all):

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #1,359 of 5,013
Quote:

Agreed. k.d. lang's "Ingenue" album is beautiful. I have several of her concert movies and they are wonderful, too. There's another song of her's that I really like, too, called "Pullin' Back the Reins."  I also love Melody Gardot. Norah Jones' "The Fall" album is excellent; so is her duet album "...featuring Norah Jones."

If you like these, I guarantee you will love Patricia Barber's albums: "Cafe Blue" and "Modern Cool." Simply exquisite. 

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #1,361 of 5,013
Quote:
I already have cafe blue...brilliant. I don't have modern cool though. Must give it a listen. 

You're gonna love it. She's A Lady, Light My Fire, Silent Partner, Constantinople, and Let It Rain. Her covers, original lyrics of her on tunes, and band are excellent. The bass lines in She's a Lady and Light My Fire are deep, textured, and musical; Great double bass, drums, piano, and other instruments.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #1,362 of 5,013
Quote:

What?

Perhaps you you can coherently rethink what you were trying to say and try again.  This thread is simply for people to share who their favourite female vocalists / artists are.  Nothing more / nothing less.  Everyone's favourites are different - that's natural.  No-one puts anyone else's choice down.  The good part is that by sharing you can get introduced to a lot of other female artists you may not have otherwise known.

i appreciate that you are keeping the headfi community fair languaged. 

except for the little What (lolz)

i hope u do realize i am no more than a good guy behind a computer as well. and I just like to step outside the norm more often than i have w/o pissing folks off.

to be all honest, it is not too much to ask if people can honestly express what they feel, because by the end of the day that -what you feel about your music that made you love it--is what matters, and that is exactly why i like these 2 artist-integrity, quality and most importantly, candidly honest and not a sense of fakeness in their self expression, yet still very poised and not like a madkid leeroy jenkins--cus they are smart , sensible and talented and they make their music that way.

i would be more intrigued by the sea of posts if more of them consist of candid explaination of why u like it, not that i am generalizing or complaining or whatnot. i am not critically analyzing the thread, i am just unresponsibly "ranting" if u like.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #1,363 of 5,013
Quote:
i appreciate that you are keeping the headfi community fair languaged. 

except for the little What (lolz)

i hope u do realize i am no more than a good guy behind a computer as well. and I just like to step outside the norm more often than i have w/o pissing folks off.

to be all honest, it is not too much to ask if people can honestly express what they feel, because by the end of the day that -what you feel about your music that made you love it--is what matters, and that is exactly why i like these 2 artist-integrity, quality and most importantly, candidly honest and not a sense of fakeness in their self expression, yet still very poised and not like a madkid leeroy jenkins--cus they are smart , sensible and talented and they make their music that way.

i would be more intrigued by the sea of posts if more of them consist of candid explaination of why u like it, not that i am generalizing or complaining or whatnot. i am not critically analyzing the thread, i am just unresponsibly "ranting" if u like.

The problem in your previous post was that it wasn't clear at all what you were meaning or trying to say.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #1,364 of 5,013
i know, i am not trying to make it that way... i just want to be chilled and laid back yet make a point, but not to force it even if it does not.

and i just checked what i said, i made 100% sense to those that are meant to read it and understand it

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #1,365 of 5,013
And....so how about those female vocals? I'll also throw in Kd Lang's: Hymns of the 48th Parallel. 

Oh, has anyone heard of Eva Cassidy? 
tongue.gif
 Live at Blues Alley is tremendous. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back