THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Dec 23, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #211 of 5,013
I currently have a weakness for Catherine Ireton.

"If you're lucky", Elephant

"Can we skip this song ?", Go away birds:

http://www.myspace.com/thegoawaybirds/music/songs/can-we-skip-this-song-53134150

"Come Monday night", God help the girl (cheesiest video clip ever, go directly to 1:25):

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #212 of 5,013
I like a bit "girlier" vocals than like Norah Jones or Patricia Barber, tho still keeping around the same genre. I've been really into

Olivia Ong lately

Dec 31, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #218 of 5,013
Im gonna have to throw amy winehouse in here.. i'm a late adopter for sure as i just started listening.
If you ignore all the media and simply focus on the music and talent.. WOW!  She reminds me of Lauryn hill.
i really hope she gets or has gotten the help she needs and shines as a person and an artist.  if you watch her perform you can tell she is using very little of her focus or potential.  If she gets it together she could truly shine.

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #219 of 5,013
I love the female voice most of the time.
My favorites include: 
Billie Holiday, Amy Winehouse, Sarah Brightman, Natalie Merchant,
Elaine Paige- "Cats", Sally Ellyson (Hem), Margo Timmins (Cowboy Junkies),
Vienna Teng (Magnificent), Joni Mitchell, etc. etc. etc.

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #220 of 5,013

Quote:
For me, Eva Cassidy is hands down the best female vocalist. 

Eva Cassidy (Listen in HD)

Thank you for this great recommendation. I check out 2 of Eva's albums ("Live at Blues Alley" and "Songbird") and am absolutely blown away by  her music. Her song "Autumn Leaves" is now one of my favorite songs of all time and I get choked up when I watch her live performance of it. "Fields of Gold"  is also phenomenal.

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #223 of 5,013

Quote:

Lisa Gerrard,when only the best will do.

I used to be INSANE for Dead Can Dance in college. That's where my screen name came from. (I had to start adding letters as the internet got bigger and "Sanvean" wasn't always available.)

My personal picks:

* Patsy Cline. Her voice can just break your heart. 

* Renata Tebaldi and Regine Crespin, for opera. Crespin's "Un Bel Di" is my favorite performance ever.

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #224 of 5,013
Hayley Williams - "The Only Exception" and "Misguided Ghosts" from Paramore's latest album are awesome
Vanessa Carlton
Colbie Caillat (Check out "Droplets" on vimeo)
Duffy - youtube "Warwick Avenue" if you're not familiar with her

Users who are viewing this thread

• gLer
Back