THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Aug 21, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #3,290 of 5,018
I have a serious aversion to the usual audiophile obsession with anyone named Krall or Krause, so it was with some trepidation that I set out on the weekend to try to find some decent female vocalists who havent suffered from the kind of over-exposure that can make it hard to listen to the contemporary artists who do float my boat (P!nk and Gaga). I dont know if its the fact that Julie London had the movie star looks that made her smoky lyrics more believable than some of her competitors, but for a woman who claimed that she didnt know how to sing she definitely knew how to work the old jazz standards we've all heard a thousand times before. Emmylou Harris is another artists that I've avoided simply because I associate her with a genre I have little time for, but once I got past that I realised that hers is a once-in-a-lifetime voice. Both highly recommended for those listening sessions where melodic death metal just doesnt quite seem to cut it :D

Ms London - they just don't make stars like this any more, sadly. RIP.

Ms Harris, still going strong.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #3,293 of 5,018
  Frances Black is a man.  Very much so.

Really ? Is this the person under discussion ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Black

Frances had her first child, Eoghan, when she was 19, and her second child Aoife, when she was 21

If there's an in-joke here I'm afraid it went over my head.

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #3,294 of 5,018
Valerie Joyce - Little Wing

Great, great interpretation of Jimi Hendrix's famous ballad 'Little Wing'. (Midrange Purity - Track 7 - The Ultimate Demonstration Disc Vol 2 - Chesky Records 2008).

More about it on WiKi:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Wing

And of course - the recording itself...

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #3,295 of 5,018
  Valerie Joyce - Little Wing

Great, great interpretation of Jimmy Hendrix's famous ballad 'Little Wing'. (Midrange Purity - Track 7 - The Ultimate Demonstration Disc Vol 2 - Chesky Records 2008).

More about it on WiKi:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Wing

And of course - the recording itself...

That's beautiful music.

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #3,300 of 5,018
  Yori Swart. Wow, I really enjoyed this - 

Good one!  I don't always know how to explain why someone gets my attention in a sea of meh singers, but she's got it :) 

also, thanks and Darn you for turning me onto sofar sounds.  I feel my wallet shrinking already :)

on a side note, a few times now when i've started a video in head-fi and quickly hit that button that opens it in youtube instead, the video has kept playing on head-fi as well. 
More than once now I've been super impressed with that amazing echo effect an artist used on their guitar and voice, only to realize i had two videos playing at once with a slight delay between the two :-D  haha!

bonus points, at the end of Yori's video this "you may also like" showed up, and indeed I did!

Shira

Broods

That little sidebar of suggested music next to the video I'm watching has a way of destroying my plans for the evening :wink:

Gözde Öney

I often can't get into music sung in a language I don't understand, but this is just too good!

Grace Sarah

this is one of those "she had me as soon as she opened her mouth" voices

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back