THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Aug 21, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #3,290 of 5,014
I have a serious aversion to the usual audiophile obsession with anyone named Krall or Krause, so it was with some trepidation that I set out on the weekend to try to find some decent female vocalists who havent suffered from the kind of over-exposure that can make it hard to listen to the contemporary artists who do float my boat (P!nk and Gaga). I dont know if its the fact that Julie London had the movie star looks that made her smoky lyrics more believable than some of her competitors, but for a woman who claimed that she didnt know how to sing she definitely knew how to work the old jazz standards we've all heard a thousand times before. Emmylou Harris is another artists that I've avoided simply because I associate her with a genre I have little time for, but once I got past that I realised that hers is a once-in-a-lifetime voice. Both highly recommended for those listening sessions where melodic death metal just doesnt quite seem to cut it :D

Ms London - they just don't make stars like this any more, sadly. RIP.

Ms Harris, still going strong.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #3,293 of 5,014
  Frances Black is a man.  Very much so.

Really ? Is this the person under discussion ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Black

Frances had her first child, Eoghan, when she was 19, and her second child Aoife, when she was 21

If there's an in-joke here I'm afraid it went over my head.

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #3,294 of 5,014
Valerie Joyce - Little Wing

Great, great interpretation of Jimi Hendrix's famous ballad 'Little Wing'. (Midrange Purity - Track 7 - The Ultimate Demonstration Disc Vol 2 - Chesky Records 2008).

More about it on WiKi:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Wing

And of course - the recording itself...

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #3,295 of 5,014
  Valerie Joyce - Little Wing

Great, great interpretation of Jimmy Hendrix's famous ballad 'Little Wing'. (Midrange Purity - Track 7 - The Ultimate Demonstration Disc Vol 2 - Chesky Records 2008).

More about it on WiKi:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Wing

And of course - the recording itself...

That's beautiful music.

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #3,300 of 5,014
  Yori Swart. Wow, I really enjoyed this - 

Good one!  I don't always know how to explain why someone gets my attention in a sea of meh singers, but she's got it :) 

also, thanks and Darn you for turning me onto sofar sounds.  I feel my wallet shrinking already :)

on a side note, a few times now when i've started a video in head-fi and quickly hit that button that opens it in youtube instead, the video has kept playing on head-fi as well. 
More than once now I've been super impressed with that amazing echo effect an artist used on their guitar and voice, only to realize i had two videos playing at once with a slight delay between the two :-D  haha!

bonus points, at the end of Yori's video this "you may also like" showed up, and indeed I did!

Shira

Broods

That little sidebar of suggested music next to the video I'm watching has a way of destroying my plans for the evening :wink:

Gözde Öney

I often can't get into music sung in a language I don't understand, but this is just too good!

Grace Sarah

this is one of those "she had me as soon as she opened her mouth" voices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back