THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Jun 2, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #2,086 of 5,010
Alison Krauss - she has the voice of angel

Also love Edith Piaf  -Goose bumps every time.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #2,090 of 5,010
Nothing new from me... Ella Fitzgerald really stomps everyone else..

If you have ever listened to a good recording of hers through a good system she is simply breathtaking. She does everything with apparent ease.
I am a fan of a lot of the female vocalists in this thread but Ella really is the cream of the crop. No one else matches her phrasing and sense of timing.
IMO 
biggrin.gif

Of the modern female jazz vocalists i really like Cassandra Wilson. 

It is hard to pick an absolute best across genres though... there are so many that sound wonderful.

This is a great thread by the way.. a nice way to discover new music... 

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #2,092 of 5,010
  I 'like' Adelle, up to a point.

I think she has talent, but I dislike her contrived vocal style where she continually strangulates words so they sound nothing like the word(s) should actually sound.

I feel exactly the same way about Amy Winehouse;   talented, but willfully-murdered the phonetics of words, in the pursuit of 'vocal style'.

Such a waste, in both cases (and I'm an Engishman, by the way, so it's not a matter of cultural differences, given that both these singers hail from the UK)

I agree, i had always dismissed Adele as just another main stream artist, and never really cared for her music until i stumbled across the recordings from the Royal Albert Hall. There is something magical about that performance.

Also feel the same about Amy Winehouse, another amazing talent, just not the right genre/style for me.

I think Adele is a unique talent that hopefully does not get brushed over by streamlining marketing to make it closer to all that middle of the road commercial crap that is out there and which sounds completely exchangeable. You hear the first two notes and immediately recognize Adele. That such a unique characterful voice has had such a commercial success is great. And for the way she phrases words, that's just part of the package. This is pop culture, not classic
wink.gif

Edit : AND Adele has written music and lyrics herself.

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #2,096 of 5,010
  Nothing new from me... Ella Fitzgerald really stomps everyone else..

If you have ever listened to a good recording of hers through a good system she is simply breathtaking. She does everything with apparent ease.
I am a fan of a lot of the female vocalists in this thread but Ella really is the cream of the crop. No one else matches her phrasing and sense of timing.
IMO 
biggrin.gif

Of the modern female jazz vocalists i really like Cassandra Wilson. 

It is hard to pick an absolute best across genres though... there are so many that sound wonderful.

This is a great thread by the way.. a nice way to discover new music... 

I really like Ella too, but for me I think I like Dinah Washington just a tad more. I think some of my Ella recordings aren't really some of her best.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #2,097 of 5,010

I'm not going to read through all 140 pages to see if anyone mentioned Laura Nyro, but she is hands down my favorite female vocalist. I feel like she's kind of a "forgotten" musician, lost in the haze of success of other female vocalists such as Joni Mitchell and Janis Joplin (who are both definitely amazing as well) during the '60's. She performed at Monterey Pop and a lot of the music she wrote was made popular by other musicians such as the 5th Dimension and Three Dog Night. Check out her album, Eli and the Thirteenth Confession -- it's a mix of folk, gospel, pop and rock and roll and it's absolutely gorgeous.

Some of my favorite songs of hers are Timer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFVpXiu73yo) and Brown Earth (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzYzCq4-R2A).

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #2,098 of 5,010

Excellent find.  Picked this up and the one from her other band.
Thanks

beerchug.gif

Such fine album man. Solid from front to back. Very rare for me to like (female) vocals that much. Not that track 1 and 3 are in the way but there's really not purpose to those shorties at all is there? Any favourite tracks yet? Oh Sarah and We Are All Ghosts the ones for me.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #2,099 of 5,010
Yeah Laura Nyro is fabulous. I love that particular album especially.

I used to have Eli and the Thirteenth Confession on vinyl but somewhere between house moves it has been lost. Does anyone know if this is downloadable in anything above mp3 from anywhere ?

I'm not going to read through all 140 pages to see if anyone mentioned Laura Nyro, but she is hands down my favorite female vocalist. I feel like she's kind of a "forgotten" musician, lost in the haze of success of other female vocalists such as Joni Mitchell and Janis Joplin (who are both definitely amazing as well) during the '60's. She performed at Monterey Pop and a lot of the music she wrote was made popular by other musicians such as the 5th Dimension and Three Dog Night. Check out her album, Eli and the Thirteenth Confession -- it's a mix of folk, gospel, pop and rock and roll and it's absolutely gorgeous.

Some of my favorite songs of hers are Timer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFVpXiu73yo) and Brown Earth (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzYzCq4-R2A).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back