THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Mar 20, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #1,981 of 5,014
Sarah Jarosz

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #1,982 of 5,014
Indie Korean group J Rabbit 
tongue.gif
  Puts a smile to my face everytime I listen.
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #1,983 of 5,014
Any fans of Aoife O'Donovan may like to download the 2013 HDTracks Free 24/96 Sampler, wherein she is one of the featured artists. I'm listening to it as I type this
happy_face1.gif

(click image to enlarge)

FYI, there doesn't appear to be a 'USA-only' limitation on this download.

Happy listening...

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #1,987 of 5,014
  One of my recently rediscovered favourites, Tasmin Archer.

I recall her doing a nice cover of Costello's/Langer's 'Shipbuilding', back in the mid 90s, which caught my ear, but then she disappeared into seeming obscurity.

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #1,988 of 5,014
  I thought she'd been posted long ago, but a thread-search yields no results for Paula Cole:

I didn't think I'd like that, but I'm glad I finally listened to it.  I didn't think anyone could compare to Kate Bush, but Paula sounded great.  I remember not liking her stuff back in the Where Have All The Cowboys Gone days, but it was obviously just the material I disliked, not her voice.

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #1,989 of 5,014

I didn't think I'd like that, but I'm glad I finally listened to it.  I didn't think anyone could compare to Kate Bush, but Paula sounded great.  I remember not liking her stuff back in the Where Have All The Cowboys Gone days, but it was obviously just the material I disliked, not her voice.

I agree - I'm not actually a 'fan' of hers, either (I am a fan of Kate, incidentally), but, to my surprise, Paula did a bloody nice job of that live performance of 'Don't Give Up' - I consider that particular performance genuinely touching, and I wouldn't generally say that kind of thing, as a rule!  So much so, that I've given up questioning whether I prefer Paula's live rendition, or Kate's studio version, as I concluded that I like them both about equally, for different reasons.

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #1,992 of 5,014
Eva Cassidy may she rest in peace.  Loreena McKennitt, the warbling voice of Joni Mitchell, Natalie Merchant, Nancy Wilson, the Jazz singer from the 60's not from Heart, and last but not least Norah Jones.  There is prolly more, these were just on the top of my head. Well just thought of Etta Jones,  Dinnah Washington, Patsy Cline, The Queen of soul Aretha Franklin, Sade, Sarah Brightman, Sarah McLachlan, and Tracy Chapman.  That's all I can think of for now need to get into my record collection to get the rest.  Anyway this is some of what i listen to.

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #1,994 of 5,014
  If I may recommend 3 outstanding albums with excellent singers:

1. Carmen Gomes Inc.''Thousand Shades of Blue''(only available as a 24/96 Studio Master download at the Sound Liaison website,http://www.soundliaison.com/

2.Sinne Eeg ''Waiting for Dawn'' (http://www.sinnemusic.com/)

3.Triosence f.t Sara Gazarek ''Where Time Stands Still''(http://www.triosence.com/en/shop/)

These 3 albums are also very well recorded,especially the Carmen Gomes album is getting very good reviews in the audiophile community,and I find that the well defined sound stage of that album makes for excellent HeadPhone music. 

They are having a sale 25% of on the Carmen Gomes album, 12 € - 15 $ for the Flac and 15 € - 20 $ for the Wav version.

Her style is bluesy and intimate with a sexy voice that's sweet as dark tupelo honey, and her interpretations are unerring. The musicians play to her and to each other, and the ensemble is so tight that the four musicians breathe and move as one.

There are some standards on the set that knocked me over with their fresh approach. Any singer can misplace a few accents and rhythms and come up with something that's original, but perhaps also uneasy and a little strange. Not Gomes, who has taken the songs to their bones and then restructured them to suit her style. Thus "Fever" doesn't sound like a cover of Peggy Lee; it sounds like a brand new take on a familiar song. You emerge from hearing it not thinking it's better or lesser than Lee's version, but that it's a valid new interpretation that could have come first.

The same approach works on "Angel Eyes," "You Don't Know What Love Is," and "I'm on Fire." Most of the rest, including the title song, "Oblivion," "Time Will Tell," "Gasoa Blue," and "The Sea," are Gomes originals that fit right in with the standards. The recording achieves exactly what Bjørnild set out as his goal. It can provide the best seat in your listening room. Go to the Sound Liaison Site, listen to a few samples, download an album, and see if you don't agree that this intimate effort is one of the best and best-sounding jazz vocal albums to come along in many a day. By the way, the small audience applauds enthusiastically enough after the last chords of a song die away, but the attendees never interrupt or make themselves known while a song is going on. No doubt they were completely mesmerized into silence, as was I.

Be sure to listen to: On "Dock of the Bay," Gomes creates a languid, bluesy version that is a little bit reminiscent of Bobbie Gentry while still coming across as quite original. It'll cast a spell over you.

. . . Rad Bennett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back