THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Jan 21, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #813 of 5,014

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #814 of 5,014
Malene Mortensen - A Danish beauty. I like.

Thanks.

Vise grip gear shift. LOL (rednecks)

I'm still looking for more HAYLEY in this thread. Is it just me? No, it can't be.

Paradiso...her voice is magic. MAGIC I tells ya! 
dt880smile.png

That is all.

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #818 of 5,014

Quote:
I agree with Alison Krauss and Marlene Mortensen.  Also anything by Diana Krall or Melody Gardot. Both amazing jazz singers.

Anyone recommend any others of their ilk...?

Yeah, quite a few supporters of Alison Krauss in this thread, if you look back through the posts (myself included). In fact, she probably gets more play time on my IEMs than any other single artist. Love the clarity of her voice, and the virtuoso playing of Union Station + Jerry Douglas.

In terms of Jazz singers, are you familiar with Claire Martin, Clare Teal, or Stacey Kent?

I've not heard of Marlene Mortensen; I'll look her up, thanks. I heard some jazz singing by Sos Fenger at a hi-fi show a few years ago (playing on Danish gear by Densen and Dynavector) but it seems she's done a variety of different styles of music and I don't know which of her albums is Jazz ( 1) I don't speak Danish and 2) her albums are very hard to obtain in the UK). 

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #819 of 5,014

Quote:

I'm still looking for more HAYLEY in this thread. Is it just me? No, it can't be.

Paradiso...her voice is magic. MAGIC I tells ya! 
dt880smile.png

Hayley's voice has wonderful clarity to it but, in my experience, it doesn't always come across well on headphones - it's not that it is shrill, just that it can sound shrill when it peaks in one's ears. Consequently, I prefer to listen to her on fullsize loudspeakers instead. I do enjoy her under these circumstances.

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #820 of 5,014

Quote:
Hayley's voice has wonderful clarity to it but, in my experience, it doesn't always come across well on headphones - it's not that it is shrill, just that it can sound shrill when it peaks in one's ears. Consequently, I prefer to listen to her on fullsize loudspeakers instead. I do enjoy her under these circumstances.

I can't help but agree with your thoughts re Hayley+ headphones. Some of her releases have less than stellar recording quality and it really shows on high-end cans. "Pure" and her new one are pretty good for cans. I so wish they had allowed for proper dynamic range on many of her projects.

But yeah...Alison Krauss, Melody Gardot, Alison Sudol , Diana. Neko...you all have great taste.  Other top choices of mine: Cara Dillon, Missy Higgins, Adele, Brandi Carlile, Emm Gryner ,Eva Cassidy, Jane Monheit, Kate Rusby, Katie Melua, Loreena McKennitt...so many more but I'll stop now.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #823 of 5,014
Haven't checked to see if these have been mentioned before:

- Lindi Ortega (country/folk)
- Sara Gazarek (jazz)
- Abigail Washburn (bluegrass/folk)
- Amanda Shires (folk)
- Birdy (folk)
- Ruth Moody (folk)

Also these artists released new albums recently (within the past year):
- Shelby Lynne (country)
- Anne Bisson (jazz)
- Priscilla Ahn (folk)
- Sierra Hull (bluegrass)

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #824 of 5,014

Quote:

- Sara Gazarek (jazz)
- Amanda Shires (folk)
- Birdy (folk)
- Ruth Moody (folk)

- Shelby Lynne (country)
- Anne Bisson (jazz)
- Priscilla Ahn (folk)

Thanks for that list.

Sierra Hull is only 16...! what a player...!

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #825 of 5,014

Quote:

- Sara Gazarek (jazz)
- Amanda Shires (folk)
- Birdy (folk)
- Ruth Moody (folk)

- Shelby Lynne (country)
- Anne Bisson (jazz)
- Priscilla Ahn (folk)

A couple of nice Sierra Hull vids here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/522812/the-best-female-vocals-your-favorite-female-singers/690#post_7961906

She's no virtuoso singer, but as a complete package with her mandolin playing, she definitely has talent and I like her.

Thanks for the other recommendatons. I bought Ruth Moody's 'In The Garden' album a couple of weeks ago, based on recommendations in this very thread (partly thanks to Br777's mention of Heather Masse, whose album I also bought at the same time as Ruth's). If you browse this thread from page 48 onwards, you'll find a few nice vids by Ruth, Heather, The Wailin' Jennies, Aoife O'Donovan / Crooked Still and also Red Molly, all of which you should like, if you like Ruth Moody.

...and I'll be looking into those above recommendations, so thanks for those!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back