the best DIY headphone amp
Jun 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 17
"Best" how? 
wink_face.gif

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 17
You should be aware that the question is ridiculous. If you want the best amp, go buy SP, Rudistor or RSA amp, they are around the most expensive. You ill be happy with, them. Why wouldn't you, you paid so much !

Now if you want what everyone has around here, and what is considered almost unanimously as the best DIY amp around here, go for a Beta 22. But, no offense to AMB, I'm not sure we should all go for the exact same amp, using the exact same parts (most of the time, glass jar kit).

Just build something you consider interesting (some pass labs stuff, tubes, hybrid, minimal gain, simplicity of the design or whatever you consider interesting). You will be happy with your build, it will sound damn good to you.

There are many awesome designers around here, you should take a look at their designs. Don't jump straight to the "I-need-to-have-this-amp-because-it-is-the-best. This is simply not how I think of DIY.

Simply my opinion, you are free to continue your quest for the "best" Diy amplifier.

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 17
Best is entirely subjective.  Best for stats, best for dynamics, best for senns, best for beyers, etc.  Do you want to know the best amp so that you can build it yourself or do you want to know the best amp so that you can name drop it without knowing what it sounds like?

The B22 is one of the best out there in terms of specs and design (Solid State).  The QRV08 is also incredible ( http://sjostromaudio.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=27 ).  As far as tubes go, you have the excellent Cavalli options or the various Millet evolutions (both primarily hybrid).  For all Tube amps, there's the L'espresivo, the various HeadWize amps, and plenty others (like the Aikido).  For stats, there are several amps that are highly recommended.  Look 'em up.

Asking for the "best" of something is very... well, ignorant.  There are plenty of amps for headphones that I didn't mention that are incredible (DIY portables) but you gotta dig around yourself.

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 17
I agree with the posts above...

What are you looking for?
A kit with all the parts that you just have to assemble?
A bare board where you are free to source your own parts?
A schematic that you can design your own board for?
Just ideas so you can design your own amp from scratch?
Something simple or something very complex?
What are your level of skills?

Answer some of these questions and we can start to help you...

Quote:
hello,
I would like to know best headphone amplifier DIY
I think than there is better than the b22

thank you :)

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 17
Pour bidoux special edition en français :D
Merci de vos reponces
Je compte changer d'ampli car mon m^3 n'est pas adapté à mon hifiman he-5le. (d'apres des feedback)
je vais attendre des tests de l'ampli ef5 (hifiman) qui sois disant est tres bon avec le he-5le mais j'ai toujours detesté les hybrides. je vais attendre d'autre feedback pour me faire des idées

thank you for you replies.
I count changed my amplifier because my m^3 is not adapted has my hifiman He-5le. (according to feedback)
I will wait feedback of the amplifier ef5 (hifiman) I read a feedback of the ef5 and according to the tester the ef5 is very good wich the he-5le, but I always hated the hybrids.
I wait other feedback

Jun 7, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 17
...and I totally disagree with what you have just said. The M^3 is a great amp and you shouldn't think that it is impossible to use it with some kind of player just because you read some reviews about it. Try to think and experience by yourself, it is way more fun than letting the skylabs and others do it for you.

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 17
I only make repeated what I read. I am a sheep
For the moment I await my He-5le if I judge his good I will not change an amplifier, if I feel minor problems I change, I just want to be informed and to be advised by people that I judges more qualified than me

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 17
I've built the PPA v2, Beta22 and the Millet MOSFET MAX.  Each has it's own place as being the "best" since they were amps that I built and sound wonderful in their own price/design category.

Nov 11, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 17
Bringing this post back because i am now in this boat myself.

What are you looking for:
1) budget ( up to $400)
2) portable/transportable/stationary (will be sitting on my desk connected to my PC)
3) tube/hybrid/solid-state ( I want clear sound with nice bass, possibly a hybrid or solid)
4) headphones used (Sennheiser 650)
5) your diy/building ability (I have dabbled with soldering, have a vague understanding of currents)(currently going through tangents tutorials)(I Learn fast)

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #14 of 17
Second on the SOHAII, but you could also look at the EHHA. I built a SOHAII with a GrubDAC specifically to use with a laptop source, and it all fits perfectly in a fairly compact Hammond enclosure. Fabulous with Grados as well, but outstanding with Senns, especially using 5963 tubes, IIRC.

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #15 of 17
Currently using an X-fi Fatality Pro, i am thinking of getting either the asus xonar essence ST or the HT | claro halo. i think i will eventually get a dac for music. right now i am using this for a gaming/music/movie watching setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back