The best diy amp for rs1
May 12, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 8
Input to a 1:1+1 input transformer phase-splitter to two WE437A or 6C45Pi tubes to 3:2 interstage transformer to a pair of 50's to the output transformer. CCS all the stages and shunt regulate the voltage with VR tubes, and use the best transformers money can buy.

May 12, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Input to a 1:1+1 input transformer phase-splitter to two WE437A or 6C45Pi tubes to 3:2 interstage transformer to a pair of 50's to the output transformer. CCS all the stages and shunt regulate the voltage with VR tubes, and use the best transformers money can buy.

Sounds interesting but I'm afraid I cant design an amp myself yet. I'm searching for something that has pcb-plans available.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by varro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds interesting but I'm afraid I cant design an amp myself yet. I'm searching for something that has pcb-plans available.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you're looking for a PCB, you're most likely going to get a solid state amp. The only two tube-based amps I can think of with PCBs are the Aikido and the Millett Hybrid. All the other tube amp plans are point-to-point wired. There might be some others, though, and I hope someone else will chime in if they know.

The rub there is that the RS-1 sounds amazing on tubes. At least I think so, and I'll risk saying that a majority of folks here think the same.

The tube amp I like best with the RS-1 is the Dickman Amp. I can't post the plans since they're copyrighted, but they were published in issue #16 of Vacuum Tube Valley. You can order back issues here:

http://www.vacuumtube.com/vtv.htm

It's a nice design and sounds great with Grados. About $150 in parts (depending on what you use, of course) and nothing terribly difficult to put together. Mr. Dickman designed it specifically to drive Grados, and it shows.

May 13, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #7 of 8
The RA-1 is a very simple/low cost IC based circuit. It's an IC with a few resistors, capacitors, and a potentiometer. There is much on what's inside if you search. I'm pretty sure we can't show the schematic here for obvious reasons, but some time on google will be very productive.

While it may not be the most complex or technically the best design, it does have the backing of Mr. Grado....

Personally, I am planning on a high end tube amp such as an Aikido or Bijou. The Dickman really looks neat also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back