The best computer sound card is the equal of the best stand-alone CDP?
Jun 7, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #76 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus
not really. go out and buy yourself an AES/EBU PCI card for your computer. then hook up a Benchmark DAC. play straight .WAV's ripped from CD's. there...... a "soundcard" that betters 99% of the standalone CDP's out there.

i'm partial to the Motu 896 i got here myself. works very well. but it does much more than play back music, so you'd be paying for features you don't need.

not really... that would assume the benchmark dac to be better than 99% of the standalone cdp available (I'm not thinking of consumer mass market crap). Also, that says more about the standalone DAC than a computer soundcard.

Jun 7, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #77 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus
not really. go out and buy yourself an AES/EBU PCI card for your computer. then hook up a Benchmark DAC. play straight .WAV's ripped from CD's. there...... a "soundcard" that betters 99% of the standalone CDP's out there.

Did you miss the part of my post where I excluded external DACs? Of course there's little difference between a conventional transport -> external DAC and computer -> external DAC, assuming that all the various software settings are set properly.

Most of the sound card guys are not advocating this kind of setup.

Jun 7, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #78 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Did you miss the part of my post where I excluded external DACs? Of course there's little difference between a conventional transport -> external DAC and computer -> external DAC, assuming that all the various software settings are set properly.

Most of the sound card guys are not advocating this kind of setup.

I'd advocate it, if someone wanted a better sounding DAC. But first I'd advocate listening to the analog outs (properly amped!) to see if it's pleasing enough to the ears. Seems to me most people putting together a PC-based system are looking for entry level hi-fi stuff, so why advocate what people will naturally drift toward at some point in the upgrade cycle?

Jun 7, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #79 of 109
And that's not what this thread is about. Inserting a high-priced external DAC to your soundcard is "cheating".
Quote:

Again we're stuck with the audiophile brand stigma. If Krell gear was rebadged as pro gear, and 19" rack mount handles were added, would you take it less seriously? If someone created it, customized it, or used it -- it being some component, audio or PC based, and you weren't sure if it was meant for a studio or meant for a livingroom, how would you generalize about it? We'd be right back to what matters most -- how it sounds, and either preference or technical merit.

No, obviously I was being facetious as there will never come a day when Krell or Levinson will make a computer or a sound card. That's not the point, the point is, a product with equivalent technical prowess behind its design, coupled with the same insane level of build quality that an increased budget will allow that is not allowed in present day sound cards as commonly used around here. Quote:

Which constraints are these?

The ones I've discussed at least 3 times so far...
rolleyes.gif
Quote:

And yes, headphone output is compensated for everyone else here, and for most...in the design of the headphone itself. Its been customized to fit the need and the environment. You are using an opamp based amplifier -- theory would say that this would not be the best approach. Its done though. Why? It sounds good.

Yes, it sounds good, but is there any doubt that a much more expesnive amp that did not have to rely on them could sound better? Yup. Can't afford one right now...
Quote:

The recording studio did it.

That's right, to achieve a specific sound and put it on the master tape for you to hear. You can't compensate for bad equipment with EQ, you will still have crappy sound that now has been further crappified with extra EQ.
eek.gif
This also assumes that the only difference between a cheap crummy piece of mass-market garbage and the best version of that component on the market is the way the high-end piece artificially tweaks the frequency response of whatever its playing, that you can achieve high-end sound by merely re-EQ'ing low-end equipment. Obviously, fidelity and resolution, lack of grain, lack of distortion and accuracy fall outside the realm of merely altering EQ to add some extra treble "zing" for example. If I have gear that has sufficient resolution, is accurate and high-fidelity enough to reproduce the recording properly as it was meant to be heard, there is no reason to tweak the EQ, it will sound great as is.
Quote:

but anyway, i don't know if you realize this, but all the highest-performing solutions for computers are not soundcards!!! even my studio doesn't use a "soundcard!"--i use a Motu 896, which is an outboard solution connected via firewire to my computer.

Then Orpheus, it looks like we are talking about two totally different things... You still haven't mentioned which high-end CDPs you've listened to for any length of time.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

again, i dunno if you realize, but ProTools usually isn't used as just one component among hundreds--EVERYTHING is routed through the darn system.

Yes, I do understand that. But all the vocals come through a microphone, which has individual parts in it, and then travels through a microphone cable to the recording desk, and on and on. The signal is passing through all kinds of different components. I still don't have any evidence of the degree to which the crappinness of Pro Tools over-rides the potential crappieness of any other component in any other part of the signal path.
Quote:

your question wasn't whether the AVERAGE soundcard can better a good CDP. your question was whether ANY soundcard can. yeah, most soundcards aren't all that. that is true.

Well, maybe I didn't state it, but I am talking about the kinds of commercially available consumer audio cards as readily available to the average person on the street as a high-end CDP (provided they have the coin). Quote:

think of a high-end "soundcard" as a good DAC or ADC. after all, what's the soundcard's job?--to get an analog signal into the computer. well, that's in its most simple form, a DAC. now, let's look at a CDP... what is it? it's basically a DAC and a transport mechanism. now, let's look at Protools: you got the computer that acts as a transport. then you got several external boxes that are essentially the same thing as external DACs.

Of course, yes. It performs the same function. But expecting a component with a maximum of $300 to spend on it's construction to achieve the same level of performance as something with $2000-$20,000 to spend on it is not realistic, IMO.

*whew* That's the only point I'm making, and now that I've made it 20 times, I think I'm done for the night. 'Bye.
orphsmile.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #80 of 109
well, that's the point... this thread isn't really a fair question. all the high-end "soundcards" really are the same thing as an external DAC and a dedicated transport.

no real point in constraining yourself to an internal PCI card right? so then what's the point of the question of this thread?

look... there aren't many internal PCI cards costing over $1000. i did sell my Digidesign Audiomedia III PCI card for $250 a couple years ago, and i purchased it new 10 years+ ago for $700. but that's about as much as they go for 2-channel cards. now, an AES/EBU card might set you back $200-400 i think. that benchmark is $900? well... so, for $1300 you get a badass "soundcard." now, whether you like the benchmark or not, you can always substitute any other DAC in there... all the way up to mark levinson.

the point is, why would you NEED a PCI internal soundcard? why not go for a DAC + computer interface? why the question this thread is about?

(markl, yeah, as i said, i didn't notice you're contraining this to internal PCI cards only... but i think it's a valid question--why make this constraint in the first place?)

Jun 7, 2004 at 8:49 AM Post #81 of 109
If using an external sound card is considered cheating, then why compare sound card to stand-alone CDP in the first place? I mean a stand-alone CDP is a complete system, whereas a 'internal pci' sound-card is not a complete system.

I think a comparison between a computer system (as orpheus is suggesting) and a stand-alone cdp is quite valid.

Jun 7, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #82 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
If using an external sound card is considered cheating, then why compare sound card to stand-alone CDP in the first place? I mean a stand-alone CDP is a complete system, whereas a 'internal pci' sound-card is not a complete system.

I think a comparison between a computer system (as orpheus is suggesting) and a stand-alone cdp is quite valid.

With internal, there are space constraints. With a standalone there are not. If you think an external dac is 'cheating' then try finding a CDP that betters the modded EMU and is the same size. There's just not enough room to cram in a good power supply and analog section, which is why a soundcard and an external DAC is a great solution.

*Started this post to argue with you... read it carefully, and realized I am agreeing with you
tongue.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #84 of 109
Quote:

(markl, yeah, as i said, i didn't notice you're contraining this to internal PCI cards only... but i think it's a valid question--why make this constraint in the first place?)

The point is there are lots of people who like to make let's say very "enthusiastic" remarks about computer sound cards in relation to their performance vs. top stand-alone gear. The issue being discussed is "how realistic are these claims". I agree, this comparison is not fair, that stand-alones have inherent advantages sound cards do not.
orphsmile.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #86 of 109
HELL NO.

I may be biased, but I do think standalone CD players, due to their much higher price point and special single-function design (most high end sound cards can do tons of things such as record and output in all kinds of formats) sound a LOT better than soundcards.

It could just be that I haven't heard the best soundcards, since I own an RME 96/8 PAD (decent sound, above the horribleness of cheapo soundcards but still has some flaws), but then again, the best CD player I've ever heard is a Meridian 588 so I think I'm on even grounds here, having never listened to a properly powered Wadia or Linn.

I'd like it to be the other way around but I just can't get PC audio to ever sound good
frown.gif
Then again, digital sounds OK at best for me, especially after spinning vinyl for a few hours or playing violin (if I spend time in the analog world, and immediately switch back to listening to a digital recording, I get digital ear burn, which really sucks).

Cheers,
Geek

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:55 AM Post #88 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
That said, there have been examples of hi-end gear that measured badly, there was a piece of Cary gear that famously looked pretty bad in Stereophile's testing, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

ah, the cary 300sei - i remember the guy doing the measurements for it saying.. "the cary 300sei isnt so much an amplifier as it is a tone control"
very_evil_smiley.gif

fwiw, i have heard a 300sei hooked up to a vienna acoustics webern before - great sounding stuff.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek
I may be biased, but I do think standalone CD players, due to their much higher price point and special single-function design (most high end sound cards can do tons of things such as record and output in all kinds of formats) sound a LOT better than soundcards.

ah, the 'it costs more, hence it must be better' school of thought.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #89 of 109
Can the best soundcards compete with the best cdp? Well no. Can SC compete with CDP under 1k? You bet. Size isn't really an issue, my Emu is larger than the Bel Canto DAC2 and no one would say the DAC2 is junk.

For me the Emu bested my Arcam CD72T, a $900 CDP. The soundcard is far more convienent and for gamers it means not having to chose between music or game sound.

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #90 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Can the best soundcards compete with the best cdp? Well no. Can SC compete with CDP under 1k? You bet. Size isn't really an issue, my Emu is larger than the Bel Canto DAC2 and no one would say the DAC2 is junk.

For me the Emu bested my Arcam CD72T, a $900 CDP. The soundcard is far more convienent and for gamers it means not having to chose between music or game sound.

The VRS Audio Systems' hard-drive "CDP" has been touted by some reviewers to be as good or better than the very, very top-tier audiophile CDP's, including the very expensive Reimyo CDP.

http://www.vrsaudiosystems.com/revelation.html

VRS machines use the Lynx L22 card
smily_headphones1.gif
Admittedly, they do a superb job of implementation in the whole machine, but there's no reason a soundcard, by being a 'mere' soundcard, cannot be as good as any CDP/DAC. VRS appears to be transformer-coupling Lynx' output section but don't do any other major mods to it.

The vast majority of audiophile CDP's and DAC's, even the $$$ ones, have their own distinct colorations (on purpose?) to please the audiophile market/tastes. I understand if someone prefers these types of "smoothness, liquidity, ease, soundstaging, etc, etc" but my Lynx 2B card, when fed properly, sounds incredible even though it's obviously not going to be everyone's cup of audiophile sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back