The best CDP for about 600 euro?
Oct 27, 2003 at 4:24 PM Post #16 of 22
Actually I believe I could stretch my budget a bit (actually quite seriously) - maybe even up to 900 euro or so, in a couple of weeks!

Would this change a lot - I mean, as for your recommendations? Would that Rotel RCD-1072 be worth the difference (I could easy buy 2 Micromegas for its price! ) Or the "diminishing return" point is lower than that?

If I would reformulate the initial question like this: "which CDP for up to 900 euros?" would I get other replies? Did somebody refrain for saying "get the so-and-so model" just because it was over the initial 600 euro budget I mentioned?

Mastergill, I am a bit afraid of deciding during an audition (you know, connecting the headphone/amp system to different CDPs while the vendor is behind you, than changing back and forth, and this with different CDs...) I am not sure if this "pressure" - as kind as the vendor might be! - would not affect my decision making
wink.gif
That's why yes, I might try to audition some stuff, but only after having pre-decided to 3-4 CDPs according to the advices of fellows head-fiers!

00940: I didn't know that forum, thank you!

lini: thanks for all the suggestions - do you have others for the new price limit or the ones you made remain valid?

jpelg: if Rega Planet stays under 600 euro in the US and goes for 1000 euro here, I would prefer to choose some other brand (in order not to pay so much money for tax/custom/or whatever else justifies this price difference - but to direct it instead for the product itself). Yes, according to this logic, French brands should be the choice, right?

Pierre: did you compare the Atoll 80 with the Atoll 100? If so, was there a big difference?

meech and marios-mar: thanks for your suggestions ... but I would prefer to go the simplest path
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Pielet
Checkout Meridian players on audiogon. You could afford a 508.20 which is a very good player.

507 for $1100 US!!

Meridian is very cool indeed, but this offer is only for US customers, plus ordering outside EU mean 19.6% tax on gear+shipment, yeah! (for france)

grennhorn i've talked about the Rotel as an example of some last Diapason "d'or" ( golden diapason, sort of award from the Diapason mag)

My advise is buy the Micromega at €399 (check if the web merchant is ok)
You won't regret.

PS: You should fill your profile
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2003 at 10:24 PM Post #21 of 22
Thanks again everybody!

I could not resist and I ordered the Micromega Minium... for 387 EUR (the site which sells it at 399 EUR has, since yesterday, a 3% discount until the end of the month!).

Yes, I managed to audition it - and I simply LOVED it.

I can only hope I will like it at home as much as I did in the hifi shop's auditorium
smily_headphones1.gif

... and my wallet can't stop thanking me
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back