the BEST AKG K1000 system you have ever heard.
Jun 15, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #31 of 34
Zanden all the way. I heard it at the San Jose meet and wow, just incredible.

I use a Red Wine Sig 30, and have used a Portal Panache and a Muse Model 100 amp (MOSFET) with a very simple point to point wired unity gain active preamp. All of these sound great, but the Zanden was in a whole other league with gigantic clean bass response I couldn't believe was coming out of K1000s.

The Zanden does cost a bit more than the other amps I mention...

-- Gordie

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #32 of 34
This thread is evidence that the K1000 sounds superb on a number of different systems. Unlike some other cans, this can has no magical amp that they ONLY sound good on. I have used them on vintage receivers, a custom made PPA v2, Jolida tube hybrid, etc.

I found them very good with each, but the most enjoyable with tubes. The best thing to me about them, is that they sound pretty good with a lot of different speakers amps because they have more than enough power for them.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice goal newneringa!
Think a good k1000 system will provide a reference level of sound that can match anything that exists out there~
I had a similar goal and came up with a Emm Labs DCC2/CDSD SE + Zanden 300b amp with Ori X-2 ICs...which is what Boomana heard.
I have since replaced the source with Spectral SDR 2000/SDR 3000 dac and transport.
Think with the k1000s you have multiple choices...may not exist a single best as there are so many quality speaker amps out there and it may be impossible to know...

BTW, Craig from Eddie Current mentioned that the Balancing Act sounded awesome when someone used the k1000s on it and compared favorably to my system which he has heard. Plan to see how it compares when I get mine delivered hopefully by the end of the month.

Yup foo_me's is the best. Well I'm nearly 100 percent computer based audio myself as I utilize an RME card as a digital transport -> my Spectral SDR-2000 Pro. I believe foo_me plans on doing the same at some point.. so really there's no reason why his rig can't mesh with a music server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back