The best affordable MD Recorder.
Jun 13, 2002 at 10:42 AM Post #16 of 36
If you're this concerned about damage, buy any MD, and an Armor Otterbox - and adapt it for your needs.

It will of course end up being huge, which kind of negates the only advantage of the MD as a playback format.

And... NetMD Sucks!

Jun 13, 2002 at 2:50 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Ah, actually, I think the N1, Sony's current top-of-the-line model is all magnesium, too. It's out of your price range, though, going for around $300.
kerelybonto

Not so, not so. I bought my N1 for $269 without shipping or tax by getting a price quote from VideoDirect.com, asking J&R to match the price and picking up the unit myself on tax-free day (another such day is coming in July). That, a store credit and a corporate discount allowed me to further reduce the price to $181.90. And if anyone here doubts that's true, I'll be happy to post a jpg of the receipt by faxing it to myself on Monday (I don't own a scanner).

I've been using it a week and I'm so glad I didn't pick the 707. The N1's l-o-n-g battery life and remote are exceptionally convenient. Also, the jog dial's a big improvement on any other NetMD model I've fondled.

Still, with Sony's recent decision not to copy-protect CDs any more, perhaps you should wait for the next crop of Net-MDs before upgrading. They might allow you to upload to computer, but they should definitely allow you to make full-resolution copies of CDs without limiting the number or imposing tedious check-out rituals.

Jun 13, 2002 at 3:03 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt

Not so, not so. I bought my N1 for $269 without shipping or tax by getting a price quote from VideoDirect.com, asking J&R to match the price and picking up the unit myself on tax-free day (another such day is coming in July). That, a store credit and a corporate discount allowed me to further reduce the price to $181.90. And if anyone here doubts that's true, I'll be happy to post a jpg of the receipt by faxing it to myself on Monday (I don't own a scanner).

All hail the Grand Negus.

Jun 13, 2002 at 3:15 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by ultimai
Putting something under a chair leg isnt as much damage as you think. I'm just prone to running and the MD hitting objects I'm running into, or leaving it on the floor...How much do these cases cost?

Get an Otter Box from Minidisco or Sound Professionals -- you won't regret it. I have one with built-in mikes for field work and a Sevired leather case with an industrial-strength belt clip for less hazardous applications.

Otter boxes are ugly but they're the best way of keeping your MD safe. The S1 uses the same principle--i.e., keeping the unit in a kind of floating case--but the plastic is thinner and chintzier. Also, if you get a case, you won't have to worry about your MDR looking spent.

The kind without built-in mikes is considerably smaller, BTW. You'll probably want to get the smallest OB available, which won't be that much bigger than the MDR itself. Get it from Sound Professionals if you want to customize it for your purposes, whatever they are.

Also:

Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
All hail the Grand Negus.

Thanks, I think -- but I hope you realize I'm just trying to explain how I got a ridiculous deal on something you might want (a deal that fell within ultimai's spending range, btw) so that all of you can get the same deal if you desire. I had to research all kinds of miser-specific information to work it out, so enjoy if you're fiending for an N1 and don't mind gypping your salesperson.

Jun 14, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #21 of 36
That otterbox looks like a cheap lunch pail. Their (minidisco's) MD's are over priced (1.50 USD for 1 MD, In canada, you can get them for a buck (CND) an MD. And I havent got the MD player yet since I have no time to go out yet. But thanks for the suggestions.

Jun 14, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

That otterbox looks like a cheap lunch pail. Their (minidisco's) MD's are over priced (1.50 USD for 1 MD, In canada, you can get them for a buck (CND) an MD. And I havent got the MD player yet since I have no time to go out yet. But thanks for the suggestions.

That's because MD still hasn't quite caught on in the U.S. the way it has in Canada and in Europe. And judging by the estimated sales figures in the U.S., MD will still remain a niche product in the U.S. at best - and at worst, may disappear completely from the U.S. market.

Jun 15, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

That otterbox looks like a cheap lunch pail.

[In the voice of Richard Pryor imitating a white person]: Which is the point, U, if you're doing anything on the dl, for the love of Mr. Donkey Kong. One doesn't own an MDR to be profiling with it in the street, because that's the fastest way to get it lifted, boosted, housed, if you know what I'm driving at. If you want a stylin' MD case, young person, I suggest you try Sevired or something else. Why, I thought you were looking for durability. My goodness me.

Quote:

Their (minidisco's) MD's are over priced (1.50 USD for 1 MD, In canada, you can get them for a buck (CND) an MD.

Who said anything about buying MDs from Minidisco? I merely told you which places sold Otterboxes and which places customized them.

The reason to buy from Minidisco is because they have a few things that are unavailable elsewhere, such as certain kinds of cases. And if you do your homework, you'll find you can get free minidiscs along with whatever you order from Minidisco, so there's no reason to worry about the cost. Still, if you're talking about their "secret" $1.59 sale on the TDK Music Jack 2002 series, that's the going rate in Chinatown for the same particular series (though you avoid shipping and tax if you buy from a gray market place). A bit different price range from the Memorex, vintage Sonys or even old TDK Music Jack discs I've found in Canada.

Also: When I was in Montreal two months ago, I bought MDs from an Indian place and the prices were cheap enough, but I have to tell you, MDs are even cheaper in Chinatown in NYC if you go to the right store. I don't know what good that will do you in Canada, but perhaps if you visit us, you'll know which stores to hit.

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:02 AM Post #24 of 36
What I meant by MD price is their "secret sale". Anyway, I just saw minidiscs for 1 buck a pop at London Drugs at Canada. They were sony minidiscs. I forgot what colour they were (Well, I think it had yellowish packaging). At future shop, the MD's were the prices of minidisco I think. I went to see this minidisc model (The sports one) and It feel's solid (and metalic). I wouldnt be too afraid to put it under a chair actually. I couldn't get it because I have to get rid of $450 In Staples in-store credit (long story, don't ask). Thanks for all of your advice and sorry about my critisms.

Have fun.

Jun 15, 2002 at 7:29 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Their (minidisco's) MD's are over priced (1.50 USD for 1 MD, In canada, you can get them for a buck (CND) an MD.

Well, for the US, that's dirt cheap. It's difficult to find blanks for <$2 -- most of the big chains want $20 for 10.

Jun 15, 2002 at 9:49 AM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

What I meant by MD price is their "secret sale".

I thought so. That sale involved particular kinds of designer MDs which are usually more expensive and which you will not find in electronic stores generally. They don't sound better than regular MDs, they merely look better to some people. The bit-club MDs are limited but I do expect the price to go down for the version of the Music Jack Series series offered in that sale (the new MJs actually do look nice, in a more conservative way -- I hate the old kind, though).

Quote:

Anyway, I just saw minidiscs for 1 buck a pop at London Drugs at Canada. They were sony minidiscs. I forgot what colour they were (Well, I think it had yellowish packaging).

Don't confuse different kinds of minidiscs price-wise. Sony alone makes a bajillion kinds and they're all priced differently. The prism and ceramics series are top-of-the-line MDs and cost more accordingly because they're said to be more reliable and record with fewer errors. (An MD repairman I spoke to confirmed this, so I'm not certain it's just a case of marketing.) Gold MDs tend to be more expensive than the colored series (yellow is not gold). As older MDs get remaindered, I do watch the price go down, and age shouldn't be that much of a problem with optical discs.

We can all find MDs for a dollar. What you won't find as easily are a box of ten Gold 2002 Prism MDs for $14.99, which I have found at places like Canal Dev.

Quote:

At future shop, the MD's were the prices of minidisco I think. I went to see this minidisc model (The sports one) and It feel's solid (and metalic).

That's what you wanted, so you might as well get it. (But doesn't it bother you that you won't be able to record anything live, not even a shady conversation with a corrupt landlord?)

Funny -- I'm not like you at all. I change my mind every five minutes about which thing I want. (Actually I use that technique to deal with bait-and-switch ploys by salespeople.)

Quote:

I couldn't get it because I have to get rid of $450 In Staples in-store credit (long story, don't ask).

Does Staples have a price-matching guarantee of any kind on their web site? If so, you could really use it to your advantage and reduce the cost of your machine.

Also: Sony just agreed to stop pushing their CD copy protection scheme and will now be making music available on the web cheaply and at full resolution. That makes me speculate that 2nd-gen NetMD-Rs will do a lot more than ones we're talking about. (Aren't those new machines due in August or September?)

Quote:

Thanks for all of your advice and sorry about my critisms.

No harm done nor offense taken. My one complaint would be that you asked for advice and didn't seem to want any. But the truth is, we advised you on way more subjects than you mentioned. I guess you could say we were guilty of overkill.

And enjoy your chair toy whenever you sit down to try it out.

Jun 15, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #28 of 36
Where in canada are MD's just a buck? Are you buying bulk packs of like 1000 blank MD's? lol....
biggrin.gif

In BC, canada, MD's are around $3-4 each. Plus in Canada there is now a $1.70 levy on each MD you buy. So you can expect to pay $5-6 per MD.

Jun 15, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
Where in canada are MD's just a buck? Are you buying bulk packs of like 1000 blank MD's? lol....
biggrin.gif

In BC, canada, MD's are around $3-4 each. Plus in Canada there is now a $1.70 levy on each MD you buy. So you can expect to pay $5-6 per MD.

I wish I could remember the name and address of that little shop in Montreal . They had far better deals than the major electronic stores on St. Catherine (which really did sell MDs for three bucks each). I recall a lot of bargain clothing stores on the same street as well. It was all fairly close to a little performance space called Casa Obscura.

The boxes of MDs I bought there were old Sonys and TDKs. I suppose you have to look for little electronic/media/toy shops which stock remaindered items.

Jun 17, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #30 of 36
Well, guess what, staples does not sell Minidisc players/recorders/etc. And I can't seem to get rid of it so I guess I will have to wait a while. Thanks for your help (And staples.ca does not list "minidisc" or "sony" that has anything to do with minidisc's. Annoying.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back