The best $1500 Bang for buck headphone rig in 2012
Apr 30, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #136 of 211

Quote:

What do you mean pages of me going on about it? It was just a few post and if you read clearly never once did I recommend them in this thread, yeh talking bout it does not mean recommending it. derpe.

EDIT: IF you go few pages back Telecaster recommended the HD650 with a La Fagorie amp and the OP made posts before I started posting in this thread that he might look into HD650 as "it scales well". You owe me a beer now for wasting 2 minutes of my life rephrasing through the pages to point you my point. lol 
etysmile.gif

lol I'll slow ship you a terrible american budweiser....sound good?

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #137 of 211
As usual we tend to agree (on the K701). The SA5000 I would consider detailed throughout - great mids, great bass (not a lot of impact depending on who you are), they just have a lot of treble in addition to that. I consider detail and brightness to be separate from one another - you can be detailed and not have a treble peak; a great example is the ESP/10. 

Again, price isn't something that should be worried about except for the ability to purchase or not purchase something. The HD 650 (and its siblings) should, imho, be considered as a top-tier option; it won't cost $1500 though. If you feel that you need to spend the entire budget, there's lots of ways to do that. (This isn't directed right at you Dubstep, but more general). 
Quote:
likewise, when people say "detail", it seems to mostly refer to the treble, but while a headphone might have good detail in the highs, they don't have the same detail or resolution in the midrange and lows. the SA5000 while having detailed highs, might not be as resolving in the mids or lows as other headphones and might not sound as natural as the hd 800 or other more expensive headphones.

i agree the K701 are smooth and didn't find them bright like other people say they are. i wouldn't say warm, but definitely not cold, just neutral.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #138 of 211

Quote:

Fixed. Bamboo edition looks synthetic imo ugly and if you look back few pages on the LCD2 Ortho (New) thread there has been few people reporting that it has the ability to crack and the sound with them sounds mostly the treble range different to that of the original Rosewood.

You don't like wood lamination?  
frown.gif

Apr 30, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #139 of 211
People make such a big deal out of heavy headphones :frowning2:  I wore my HE-500 for probably 12-13 hours yesterday with only breaks to get up to eat and the like.  Definitely easier than some cans I've used.  Nevertheless, the Senn 6xx series would probably be my recommendation as well.  HD650 + WA6 / SE?

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #140 of 211

Quote:
People make such a big deal out of heavy headphones :frowning2:  I wore my HE-500 for probably 12-13 hours yesterday with only breaks to get up to eat and the like.  Definitely easier than some cans I've used.  Nevertheless, the Senn 6xx series would probably be my recommendation as well.  HD650 + WA6 / SE?

It's because head-fi users have a rare disease where there spine is made of gelatin and they have to wear a neck brace at all times. The extra stress of just a few more ounces is just unbearable.
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #141 of 211

Quote:

You don't like wood lamination?  
frown.gif

No, not when the current cracking problems still persist, I'd still prefer my Rosewood LCD2 anyday.

Quote:
Definitely easier than some cans I've used.  Nevertheless, the Senn 6xx series would probably be my recommendation as well.  HD650 + WA6 / SE?

Don't recommend any HD650 combo's "detoxguy" will get angry. 
angry_face.gif

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #142 of 211

Quote:
 Nevertheless, the Senn 6xx series would probably be my recommendation as well.  HD650 + WA6 / SE?

+1

had that combo for a while. 

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #144 of 211

Quote:

Nobody recommended the HD650 for a $1500 rig. Although the HE500 Lyr Bitfrost (no fan of Schiit products) may be a great combo, the OP doesn't want heavy can's seeing as he eliminated the LCD2's and HE500's off his list in the first few pages.

big mistake.  The so called "heavy cans" aren't heavy at all.  relatively heavy, ok sure....but unless you've worn them yourself and decided you don't like the feel, eliminating a headphone because you heard it was "heavy" is ridiculous

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #145 of 211

Quote:

big mistake.  The so called "heavy cans" aren't heavy at all.  relatively heavy, ok sure....but unless you've worn them yourself and decided you don't like the feel, eliminating a headphone because you heard it was "heavy" is ridiculous

I actually find my LCD2's the heaviest out of all my cans.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #146 of 211

Quote:

Nobody recommended the HD650 for a $1500 rig. Although the HE500 Lyr Bitfrost (no fan of Schiit products) may be a great combo, the OP doesn't want heavy can's seeing as he eliminated the LCD2's and HE500's off his list in the first few pages.

I was only curious about the weight. Of course if the orthos came light it would've been great. But I think I can live with the weight.

Man, I was almost set on the LCD2 rig before coming here. But now.. 
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #147 of 211

Quote:

I was only curious about the weight. Of course if the orthos came light it would've been great. But I think I can live with the weight.

confused_face_2.gif

If you want cans that are good with everything and are very efficient (amp is not necessary), I would recommend the Denon D7ks :wink:

May 1, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #148 of 211

Quote:

lol I'll slow ship you a terrible american budweiser....sound good?

Actually, Budweiser is an Belgium beer as A-B merged with a Belgium company and that's where their HQ is located.  Plus, as bad as a Bud really is, I think it might be slightly better than a Labatt's Blue.  
wink.gif

OK, back on topic

May 1, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #149 of 211
Beating the dead horse here a bit, but I wanted to respond to the SRH940 vs. HD650 comments...

Let me first say that I like the HD650 a lot. However, I've heard the newest version of the HD650, and I'm still not quite sure how anyone could say that the SRH940 is warmer sounding. I don't mean to insult anyone's perception, but I just see the HD650 as having a very warm sound overall. That is not to say that the HD650 lacks detail in any way. The HD650 is still a very revealing, dynamic, headphone with a lot of resolution. In my opinion, the HD650 has a knack for doing a lot of things at the same time--it is dark and veiled yet open and clear at the same time. It was surprising for me to hear for the first time...the "veil" as people say, was the first thing that struck me about these headphones, and it sounded to me as if they wouldn't be able to produce the brighter, treble-ey sounds as well. But, then you hear a cymbal and it shimmers just like it should, and stands out above the darker sounds. That being said, the SRH940 sounds to me like the HD650 with less veil, and brighter highs with more emphasized treble...and sometimes I wish the SRH940's had less of that, because it can be harsh. I've paired it with tubes to try to tame the highs. I owned the SRH940's first, and ultimately, I decided that the HD650's weren't different enough to warrant purchasing them as well. 

As someone said, the HD650's do scale very well though. I've found that a lot of speaker-audiophiles tend to like the HD650's a lot. There is something elegant about them that an audiophile can appreciate.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if there are any headphones that have mid-ranges that compare to the orthodynamic headphones at all? And, which orthodynamic headphones provide a better bang for the buck--the lcd2's or the he500s? Or something else? I see a lot of people favoring one or the other, but reviews seem to favor the he500's overall, and given that the lcd2 costs a decent amount more, can someone tell me exactly why they see the lcd2's as being worth the extra money, instead of getting the he500's and putting the rest towards a better amp? 

May 1, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #150 of 211
I would suggest getting an idea of what 400+g is like on your noggin, and a helmet isn't entirely a fair comparison because of how it disperses the weight. Getting just the net weight of the item doesn't tell us the full picture though; here's an example: 

Koss ESP/950 is around 350g (which is actually heavier than lots of open cans like the HD 650 and K701 and so on), plus it's cable (which is heavier than many other cables because it's a six conductor; if you have the extension in, there's a big hunk of plastic in the middle). However it wears like air, because it doesn't put very much pressure on the head. Compare this to something like the ATH-ESW9, which is around 170g (lighter than most headphones), but it clamps harder and sits on-ear; you will notice it within a few minutes (I'm not saying it's painful per se, but it's more "apparent"). 

To step up to heavier objects, the Beats Pro are just over 400g, and it feels like you've got a brick strapped to your head. Contrasted to something like the ESP/10 which is around 450g, and (depending on the pads) really aren't bothersome at all. 

So basically I would suggest getting a first-hand idea of what is and isn't a problem for you, and trying out a variety of designs. I have no doubt that if we made a headphone that weighed 2 or 3 kilos it would be universally horrible, but 400-600g doesn't have to be a torture device. It does usually mean the thing is starting out at a disadvantage though, and any flaws in the headband/earpad coupling will probably be more apparent due to the extra girth. 
Quote:

confused_face_2.gif

Do you just want a headphone with good mids? There's plenty of those - check the midrange-centric thread. 

Quote:
On an unrelated note, does anyone know if there are any headphones that have mid-ranges that compare to the orthodynamic headphones at all? And, which orthodynamic headphones provide a better bang for the buck--the lcd2's or the he500s? Or something else? I see a lot of people favoring one or the other, but reviews seem to favor the he500's overall, and given that the lcd2 costs a decent amount more, can someone tell me exactly why they see the lcd2's as being worth the extra money, instead of getting the he500's and putting the rest towards a better amp? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back