The best $1500 Bang for buck headphone rig in 2012
Apr 28, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #31 of 211
Most people in the previous page are throwing wild guesses and what sounds like they are plotting random headphones for the OP when they themselves have not heard it..

I mean come on ESP 950? MDR F1??

@OP: If weight is a concern to you, I'd recommend you look into the T1, which kiteki has already mentioned, its Beyer's current flagship can and hearing it briefly once through a RWA amp, it is a slightly less refined but at the same time a very clear producing set of can's. To my ears, it is a bit more forward and the treble is slightly less pronounced then that of my HD800 (although I do not experience the bright treble peak that most HD800 users have). 

If you ever change your mind with weight issues, the LCD2 + Violectric V100 = oh my goodness (upgrading to the V200 soon). Or a HE-500/6 + a Wooaudio amp (cannot be specific here because it depends on your budget, because the amp will cost alot more).

I'd avoid any high end custom IEM's as of now, since its your first and your venturing into the headphone territory, you can get a very decent combo pair with a top-end headphone + matching decent signature and sonically characteristic amp and then research and look into reviews for a CIEM to complement your headphone setup later on but a separate portable setup.

Hope this helped.

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #32 of 211
H650 and La Figaro 339 is goood! For you budget HD650 and WA2 is godsent.

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #33 of 211
Based on what I own I wholeheartedly recommend the HE500/LYR and that should leave room for Bifrost (can't recommend what I haven't heard) you also can't go wrong with RS1i paired with the MAD Ear+ HD

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #35 of 211

If the T1 only sounds good with ultra expensive amps like RWA, then it's definitely out.

As for the portable set up suggestions, I'm not really looking for one. I'm happy with my clip+ and hd25. Don't think I'd want haul a huge set up around anyways. CIEMs are not for me, don't like sticking things in my ear. A portable setup with something like the T1 would be good though. But then again if it's not properly amped..

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #36 of 211
Here's InnerFidelity's graph:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT1.pdf

They'll want a lot of voltage (relatively speaking), but not tons of current - that's what high Z does for you. Lots of amps may have a problem with that, but I'm expecting receivers or stereo amps (that just use a resistor network between the "big" power amp the jack) to probably drive them fine. That's speculation mind you. 

But they really don't require that much power overall - they're fairly sensitive (much moreso than the orthos; but again remember, they're high Z). 

The T1 wouldn't be a good portable choice either - it's open. The T5p is designed for "portable" usage (in the same vein as the ESW10, ESP/950, A100, and SR-4070), although I'm sure plenty of people buy them for at home because of the 32 ohm nominal Z and similar-ish-ness to the T1. Closed though. 
Quote:

no...it's much higher.

You're kidding me right? Please tell me you're kidding me; please, please tell me that you're really that oblivious and just have absolutely no clue what you're talking about whatsoever. Please tell me that.  
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif

Quote:
Most people in the previous page are throwing wild guesses and what sounds like they are plotting random headphones for the OP when they themselves have not heard it..

I mean come on ESP 950? MDR F1??

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #37 of 211

Quote:
A previous poster suggest dx1000, i am also recommend this headphone, but try to get the HP DX1000, not the HA DX1000.

What is the difference outside of the big DX lettering?  I thought they were identically the same, one from europe and one from japan.

Apr 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #38 of 211

Quote:

You're kidding me right? Please tell me you're kidding me; please, please tell me that you're really that oblivious and just have absolutely no clue what you're talking about whatsoever. Please tell me that.  
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif

Reading about the T1 and looking at impedance VS frequency graphs they spike up MUCH higher than 600 ohms. Or they at least appear to do so.

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #39 of 211

Quote:

1. If the T1 only sounds good with ultra expensive amps like RWA, then it's definitely out.

As for the portable set up suggestions, I'm not really looking for one. I'm happy with my clip+ and hd25. Don't think I'd want haul a huge set up around anyways. CIEMs are not for me, don't like sticking things in my ear.  2. A portable setup with something like the T1 would be good though. But then again if it's not properly amped..

1.  That's not the case, it sounds perfectly fine even from a portable amplifier.  They're recommending ultra expensive amps for synergy, not necessarily delivery.

2.  The T1 is open-air, the T5p is portable.  However, they have different signatures, in my experience.  The T1 is more airy and ethereal, smoky.  The T5p is more liquid, essential, alive.

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #40 of 211

Quote:

If the T1 only sounds good with ultra expensive amps like RWA, then it's definitely out.

No, definitely not, from what it looks like, you can pair up a $300-500 DAC/amp with the T1 and still have it sound good but of course, the better the amp is, the slightly more improvement you hear from the sound. Almost forgot to mention, transparency and making music very natural are some of the characteristics the T1 is good with.

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #41 of 211
Hold on, you haven't ever listened to (or owned, etc) the ESP/950 (or the T1 from what it sounds like), just to clarify. And you're going to complain about people making "wild guesses" about things they "haven't heard"? (And then go on to do this to an owner, and someone who posts in the appreciation thread you cite as evidence). Really? Just checking. 

Carry on.

WhiteCrow:

I provided a graph that shows their peak at 1400 (1.4k!) ohms - like I said, they'll want relatively lots of voltage but they're fairly sensitive. They should "drive" from plenty of things, but I would not be surprised if they sound "dead" from amplifiers that can't swing enough voltage for them. The part you quoted was not in reply to you (blame huddler, it puts replies to quotes above quotes). I would say that many receivers (which have high Zout and usually can swing relatively lots of voltage) would be a starting point, but there's probably dedicated units that are more efficient and potentially better performers. 

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #42 of 211

Quote:

No, definitely not, from what it looks like, you can pair up a $300-500 DAC/amp with the T1 and still have it sound good but of course, the better the amp is, the slightly more improvement you hear from the sound. Almost forgot to mention, transparency and making music very natural are some of the characteristics the T1 is good with.

You have to consider synergy and coloured amps too.

Anyway, for the T5p I recommend OPA627.

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #44 of 211
actually while a few have trash talked the E/90 amplifier others state the problem is purely the lack of "audiophile look and feel" - and even some of the Stax Mafia credit it with being listenable - even if they'd rather see a BH or T2 on the end of the cable

the ESP-950 are way more comfortable, has much smoother frequency response - the Orthos are clearly colored - you make like that, may enjoy looking for colored amps with "synergy" - but there's no point in debating relative accuracy - the ESP wins

compared to flagship esl headphones, commerially available amps the Koss system actually reaches higher SPL before clipping - no esl headphone can reach 120 dB SPL peaks but that doesn't keep them from rating way up there as hi end audiophile systems

if the target system price is $1500 then you really can't include $1400 headphones before source, amps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back