The best $1500 Bang for buck headphone rig in 2012
Apr 28, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #16 of 211
Eh, it's a personal choice, that's for sure. What kinds of headphones do you have/have you had in the past? (Not to derail this thread or anything). 

I'm not advocating buying the most expensive thing you can find (like the Edition 10), but quality isn't exactly cheap - good headphones, good speakers, etc are never cheap. 
Quote:

I look at it this way. A computer can browse the internet, play music, play games, you can write reports, watch movies, use it as an entertainment hub, you name it.

A pair of headphones can play sound...... and yeah thats about it.

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #18 of 211
To the OP: it looks like hte choices you have listed are pretty spot on.  I have owned the LCD-2 and NFB-10 combination and found it excellent, but with the HE-6 I found it too bright/forward in upper mids and treble, and others have found the HE-500 has similar synergy issues.  Still this is a very high definition option at this price point.  The NFB-6 and NFB 3.1 combination might be worth consideration, but I have yet to test the NFB-6 re the sound signature, and at this point probably nobody else has either...

I can't really help you much past that as I haven never had extended listening with the O2, Lyr or Bifrsot to be able to form a proper opinion, but these setups should offer quite different experiences and are worth reading more about.

Apart from that, as far as I know most people tend to prefer the HE-500 to the LCD-2 for acoustic genres as it has more neutral and transparent midrange and treble, while LCD-2 has excellent bass and a slightly smooth/euphonic but still detailed midrange but overall is not a neutral presentation.  With the right equipment behind it the HE-6 can do rock/metal/popular very well, and my guess is the HE-500 is just as capable in these genres, just if you are a basshead or prefer the smooth/fuller Audez'e mids the LCD-2 might win out.  SIgnature Pro has come down in price also, and might be another headphone to consider in this price range.

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #19 of 211

Quote:
Your on a website dedicated to HIGH-END AUDIO.

Dude...okay Reading some of your posts You really need to.
A.Not look up prices
b. Stop pointing prices out
c. stop telling people how absurder they are
d. stop assuming $500 or so is the be all end all price of audio equipment in general.
e. all of the above
If your only reason to come into this thread is to call some one crazy for spending money on audio when you spend that much on a 4chan machine your in the wrong place.

I share The10thDoctors sentiment. Some things are ridiculously over priced but we cease to perceive them that way if we're in the hobby for too long. Depends on your resources, your priorities and your goals, I guess. But many get ripped off in the audio world. It's a reality and something we should remind ourselves of.

I own a few headphones and listened to a few more. Unfortunately, $1000 LCD-2's beat every sub-$500 headphone I've listened to so far. That's just how headphones are priced. Any pressure on companies to create better headphones for better prices should be welcomed with open arms because in the end it's us that bear the brunt of the cost and line the pockets of all the manufacturers, salesmen and engineers.

Can anyone remember what it was like to be content with cheap crappy headphones? I listened direct out of my noisy PC headphone out with $5 headphones for years and I was blissfully content thanks to all the beautiful music I listened to. I remember walking into a retailer and seeing headphones for $80 and thinking "wow, so expensive, but maybe it'll sound better". I remember scoffing at $200 Sennheisers in store because I thought they were over priced. Now I'm saving for CIEM's that cost $1400 and I agree it is ridiculous. But now I have better access to resources and it's my guilty pleasure. Doesn't mean I don't get angry when I get ripped off for ridiculously overpriced audio gear. I recently bought a $3.5 grand amplifier that I promptly sent right back because the price/performance ratio was so dreadfully poor. I'm happy to spend over $1500 for gear when it's worth it. Unfortunately it is very very rarely EVER worth it.

I'm in the process of selling most of my gear. I hope to end with an ODA + ODAC combo with a pair of LCD-3's (if they ever become worth that disgusting price) or a pair of LCD-2's if not. I'd like a portable rig consisting of an iBasso DX100 (or something similar if it's worth it) and a pair of Spiral Ear 5-Way Reference CIEM's. 

/endrant

tl;dr: Perception is everything.

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #20 of 211
Is the Beyerdynamic T1 worth a mention?

Personally I have not owned a headphone in my life and am about to pull the trigger on a pair of T1. Call me weird but there is something about the aluminium casing that appeals to me(although it's the sound that counts). As usual, I've got contradictory views and opinions from my fellow mates when I asked them for advice. A friend thought anything more than $500 for a pair of headphones is considered as not a value purchase. On the other hand, there are few folks who dig the high-end market of headphones such as the Stax high-end stuff. 

I guess there is no correct answer whether a $500, $1000 or $2000 pair of cans is considered as overpriced. One can argue it's just sound, and no matter how good the headphone is in terms of build, quality and driver technology, it's just a pair of headphones after all. Not too sure how the high-end headphone market compares to the high-end loudspeaker system based market as hifi rigs can cost up to $100,000 or more, though decent ones start from around $5,000 onwards. My hifi rig costs around $23,000 and one of my mate's Wilson Maxx 3 alone costs more than my entire system(amplifier, source and speakers).

Back to topic - best bang for the buck headphone rig for $1500. Is the Beyerdynamic T1 worth a mention?

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #21 of 211

Quote:
I think paying 1.5k$ for a Macbook or anything from Apple is a total waste of money, you can get the same performance/aesthetics from a non-Apple laptop for around ~800$. You are paying for the brand, I never liked Apple even before their recent popularity.

I Think you're over estimating the price there.

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #23 of 211
So you are claiming there is no point in spending more than 200-300 bux on headphones, yet you have never listened to anything more than this price range ? So basically your opinion on this matter is pointless, as you really have no knowledge of what you are talking about and are basing your opinion on what you assume to be true. If that isnt the epitome of stupid i dont know what is.

In your argument, why buy a car for 1 million dollars, when you can buy a ****box for 1000 bux. Basically when someone can afford luxury, then they will buy it, if you cannot fathom the meaning of that. It means either you cannot afford it yourself, or you put much too much weight to the value of money than what that money can do for you instead. ie Like buying a nice rig. Not everyone can afford a 1500 dollar rig, but at the same time its none of your business how he wishes to spend his money, its his choice, and we discuss on these forums what is worth buying, not what we shouldnt waste our money on.

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #24 of 211

Quote:
you guys need to stop feeding the troll....

Were head-fi, were very easy to troll....

Quote:
Is the Beyerdynamic T1 worth a mention?

Personally I have not owned a headphone in my life and am about to pull the trigger on a pair of T1. Call me weird but there is something about the aluminium casing that appeals to me(although it's the sound that counts). As usual, I've got contradictory views and opinions from my fellow mates when I asked them for advice. A friend thought anything more than $500 for a pair of headphones is considered as not a value purchase. On the other hand, there are few folks who dig the high-end market of headphones such as the Stax high-end stuff. 

I guess there is no correct answer whether a $500, $1000 or $2000 pair of cans is considered as overpriced. One can argue it's just sound, and no matter how good the headphone is in terms of build, quality and driver technology, it's just a pair of headphones after all. Not too sure how the high-end headphone market compares to the high-end loudspeaker system based market as hifi rigs can cost up to $100,000 or more, though decent ones start from around $5,000 onwards. My hifi rig costs around $23,000 and one of my mate's Wilson Maxx 3 alone costs more than my entire system(amplifier, source and speakers).

Back to topic - best bang for the buck headphone rig for $1500. Is the Beyerdynamic T1 worth a mention?

Uah...maybe,do you have a nuclear reactor to plug them into? They need a lot of power at very high impedance. The T1 isn't really bang for buck...its defiantly a buck for bang deal. The sound IS great, but the requirements to amp it properly are pretty ludicrous and the sound really isn't for everyone.

I cant help but to laugh looking at this...the T1's LOWEST impedance dip is at 600 ohm's, I have read not sure if this is true or not but that they spike up to 1000 ohms. As for looks, yea I'm with ya, they look sexy.

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #25 of 211

^The Tesla T1 is very often quoted as the top headphone out there.

I've only had a brief audition of it, without proper amplification (it's 600 ohms, after all), however the T5p deserves high recognition as well (if you like the r-type signature).

The T1 seemed more refined to me, on a purity-of-note level, but the T5p is more lively and expressive, is the T5p overpriced?  If you think it's "a portable T1" then yes.  If you think it's the best closed-back headphone currently in production with an r-type, musical and expressive sound, almost alive, then no.

This review is pretty decent - http://www.avguide.com/review/beyerdynamic-t5p-headphones-playback-38?page=2

I think the Tesla T1 wins more hearts though, for whatever reason.

Anyway, I rewind to my initial recommendation... JH Audio JH16 (or honestly, the JH11, it sounds very close, I've heard demo units of both, and the JH13).

So in my personal view... a potent DAP like Sony Z1070... a potent portable amp (if necessary) like Leckerton UHA-4 with OPA627, and finally the JH11, JH16, Tesla T1, Tesla T5p.

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #26 of 211

Quote:

^The Tesla T1 is very often quoted as the top headphone out there.

I've only had a brief audition of it, without proper amplification (it's 600 ohms, after all), however the T5p deserves high recognition as well (if you like the r-type signature).

The T1 seemed more refined to me, on a purity-of-note level, but the T5p is more lively and expressive, is the T5p overpriced?  If you think it's "a portable T1" then yes.  If you think it's the best closed-back headphone currently in production with an r-type, musical and expressive sound, almost alive, then no.

This review is pretty decent - http://www.avguide.com/review/beyerdynamic-t5p-headphones-playback-38?page=2

I think the Tesla T1 wins more hearts though, for whatever reason.

Anyway, I rewind to my initial recommendation... JH Audio JH16 (or honestly, the JH11, it sounds very close, I've heard demo units of both, and the JH13).

So in my personal view... a potent DAP like Sony Z1070... a potent portable amp (if necessary) like Leckerton UHA-4 with OPA627, and finally the JH11, JH16, Tesla T1, Tesla T5p.

no...it's much higher.

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #27 of 211

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #28 of 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I cant help but to laugh looking at this...the T1's LOWEST impedance dip is at 600 ohm's, I have read not sure if this is true or not but that they spike up to 1000 ohms. As for looks, yea I'm with ya, they look sexy.

Eh?!  In that case... I didn't amp it properly... and need to compare my T5p against it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back