The Berkeley mini meet series
Mar 17, 2007 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
Actually, there have been all kinds of mini meets tonight, this was the one at my place. Daba only took repetative pictures... sorry

Pint and very modified PCDP
CIMG0803.JPG

an anonymous amp maker
CIMG0801.JPG

My head and the K701
CIMG0799.JPG

Daba's head with the K701
cimg0802ma6.jpg

Yuin
CIMG0790.JPG

RS-1 and GS1000
cimg0866mv2.jpg

mike listening to RS-1 out of Zana Deux
cimg0868gx7.jpg

in any case the gear is this
Yuin earphone thingy
AKG K701
Pint I
Pint II
heavily modified CDP

and my gear:
it's in the sig

impressions:
while i liked the pint with the K701.. a k701 is still a K701. Pint I was better than pint II.
the CDP deserves it's own thread. it was simply the most addicting source i have ever heard.... so sweet, warm, tonally rich, and exciting! Filbert's modded gear is just amazing.... it seriously made my VDA-2 sound cold and clincial in comparison.

the Yuin is great... but lacking in bass... i didn't think it better than say my PX100 or the KSC75, just different.

Mar 17, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heavily modified CDP

What model is that, and how was it "modified"?

Mar 17, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 59
Arrghh! Mini-meet in the Bay Area? Let me know the next time you have one. I haven't been to a meet for two years, and I'm dying to go to another one
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arrghh! Mini-meet in the Bay Area? Let me know the next time you have one. I haven't been to a meet for two years, and I'm dying to go to another one
smily_headphones1.gif

dude, these are put together like in 20 minutes over the phone, no pre planning is ever done.

i know nothing about the CD player, other than he's been working on this thing since before i even joined head-fi. PM him if you have questions.

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 59
Er...let me re-word my earlier tactless post here...I'd like to hear the PCDP sometime!
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

This year's International Meet is in SJ, haven't you seen the "HeadFest 2007" in the ad banner at the top?
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 59
Argh, I hope I can make it to the international meet. I'm just not sure how to get there from Tucson in a quick and affordable fashion
frown.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #10 of 59
The Berkeley mini meet series continues
Favorite quote: Daba “You know what, I’ve concluded I just don’t like grados.” Humanflyz “Wow, what a surprise.”

Stuff:
Headphones
AKG K701
AKG K1000
AKG p81 (i think)
Grado RS-1
Grado 325i
Grado HF-1
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser PX100
Sources
Modded Denon SACD player
Stello DP200
Channel Islands VDA-2
Amplifiers
Pass Labs Firstwatt F1
Mapletree HD150

Pics:
cimg0980rd7.jpg

cimg0977pe5.jpg

cimg0969wo2.jpg

cimg0958tg7.jpg

cimg0951kx2.jpg

cimg0961ce9.jpg

cimg0960no2.jpg

cimg0944jy8.jpg

cimg0941ld8.jpg

cimg0945wu1.jpg

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #11 of 59
AAARRRGHHH!!! I KNEW IT!!! I should have asked you guys if you were gonna hold another meet this weekend.
tongue.gif
I'm *dying* to audition some of those headphones, but unfortunately I keep on missing your meets. I'm in Palo Alto, so it would be pretty easy for me to head over there. Are you guys holding another mini-meet next weekend?

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #12 of 59
Sorry dude, we really don't plan these things. It's more like someone calls me up and asks me if we can hang out, and I invite them over. We do this pretty spontaneously so it's hard to say when we will do it again.

Mar 25, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #13 of 59
No problem. Would you guys be willing to do a trade for a couple of days or something like that? I'd really like to try the K-1000, GS-1000, and K-701.

Edit: Well, actually what I'd most like to try out are the Edition 9, K-1000 and W5000, but I'm adjusting to what I noticed you guys have
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #14 of 59
I'll be back in the summer, and will be able to do small meets with people in the SFBA on my own as well if people have some particular interest. I suppose the PCDP is at least intriguing :p

David and Mike - I just did some recent modifications and also am working with a different revision of the mainboard, so maybe you'll want to try this. I managed to boost detail rather significantly, which was a bit surprising given what was already being achieved. It's definitely not in the realm of subtle differences, though, at least to me or those listeners I've had handy (including the girlfriend).

Apr 14, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #15 of 59
Filbert: i would love to hear your latest creations... also, i keep hearing word of this dac, but i've never heard or seen it...

We were having a normal mini meet/ a shootout between the VDA-2 and the Stello DA100, when a CD player decided to literally crash the party by walking right in (wow, was i shocked). I now have a suspicion as to where it came from, if i actually do get to keep it i'll give my transport to the wonderful young lady who let me do the shootout and let me borrow the 325i this afternoon.

cimg1026mz7.jpg

cimg1021ka4.jpg

cimg1011ln1.jpg

in any case...
is my love affair with the 325i over? i seriously have to start asking this question. for the last year I've been absolutely amazed by the Grado's ability to out-speed, out-detail, out-rock and head nod and foot tap the HD650. but is it possible that the system i threw it up against today simply over ran it... that i have meet the limits of the 325i's potential to improve? I certainly feel that this is the case, an RS-1 would be more appropriate for this system a this point. for the first time, I heard the 325i and wasn't blown away... no, paradoxically it sounded dead, un-detailed, un exciting, and somewhat flat. I guess this is the magic of Sennheiser at play... at some point the HD650 will continue to improve as components do, while other cans will flatten out and become weak-links. I'm sorry Jocelyn, this time the 325i just doesn't get my toe tapping.

the DA100 is quite an amazing machine. forget that it can't do balanced (unless you seriously need it). I can't really claim pin point imaging, nor can i claim it to be the most neutral thing I've ever heard (it's warm, maybe a bit too warm with the HD650 sometimes), but it sure is just about the most musical dac I've heard and sounds exactly like the DP200. IronDreamer noted that he couldn't tell the difference between this and the 220, i thought he had tin-ears or wasn't trying hard enough.. i was wrong, the Stellos all do sound alike and I'd be hard pressed to find differences between them. Overall, the good things and bad things i perceived about the DP200 and VDA-2 are still the same but the HD650 is much less revealing than the K1000/F1, so they don't matter as much. I will add that the DA100 brought out all kinds of texture and "liveliness" and live like qualities that i hadn't heard on the VDA-2. if it wasn't for the VDA-2's superior soundstaging, i would be all over the da100....

don't take this as me saying one is better than the other. i actually think the da100 may be a better overall dac than the vda-2 (and maybe the lavry). However, there are things i have to consider... and i don't think i can give up the accuracy of the vda-2 just yet. both are fine dacs, and if you are looking at both, the only real question is whether you want something warm and musical v. something analytical.

the CD players:
I only got one day with the pioneer... it is a very fast, good looking player that can do other things if needed, and for 36 dollars i still consider it the best deal I've ever gotten. It replaced a toshiba that actually died a long time ago. It has a remote, a feature i only got to use once, but it was useful. It is what it is, so i can't say it inspires confidence or that it didn't skip a track or two once in a while, but i could live with that.

the Cambridge.... oh wow. Okay, so i got a story to tell. I'm A/bing between the DA100 and the VDA-2 when the fedex man calls my phone and tells me that i got a package downstairs. At first i thought it was my missing CD, but it wasn't... the box was far larger. i ended up opening it with caution, suspecting some type of practical joke and my friends to be filming me from the building across the courtyard... but no grass hoppers or locust jumped out. it was a box reading "Cambridge Audio." I panicked, i really did... looking to where it came from, i went straight for my computer and checked my CC and banking history to find out where it came from... but those resources yielded no results. i stared at it for about 5 minutes... and it came to me. I went over to the thread and saw no clues. right now i suspect ASR of this wonderful gift, but i proceed with caution.... is it you?

wow, this thing sure is confidence inspiring! a beautiful LCD, fast reading, fast opening, power light, and a perfect match with the Zana Deux and Stello da100. I'm looking at it as i type.. watching the seconds go from 45, 46, 47, 48, 49.... as i listen to the CD that i may have to give up...

Oh, if it serves as any measure... my un-audiophile roommate chose the VDA-2 over the da100 and Cambridge on a blind A/B/C test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back